1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Non-Americans: What American slang do you find funniest/weirdest/most charming?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoscoeElegante, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

It's funny because I would have presumed this was British slang, they are all very common phrases here, it's stuff my Dad would have said.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

My stepdad was definitely NOT a rural guy. An insurance salesman and people gabber. So his equivalent to "Hold your horses" was "Hold the phone."

The first time I heard him say that we we were building a bathroom wall. He's been a sergeant in Patton's 3rd Army and barked when he worked with his hands. So--sho' nuff--I went and held the phone. Which was, in those pre-e days, on a floor above the new bathroom.

When he realized where I'd gone, he yelled, "Criminy, have you been smoking rope again?"

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's not a bad idea to actually check if the expression you think is particular to your location is in fact so.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/until_the_cows_come_home

In the quotations, there are examples from the 1600s in the UK.

4. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Hold your horses is attributed to Homer (the Greek, not the Simpson)

Till the cows come home is at least Elizabethan (the first one)

Yonder is Middle English, probably earlier.

:)

boris bubbanov and Si G X like this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Around here, for the last 45 or 50 years, I've heard and used "I'm going to scratch gravel and mosey" used to say "I'm leaving now".

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Many years ago I met a young physician named Ralph Earp, which seemed redundant.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Folks that moved from Michigan, Ohio or Indiana, to Florida 1970-1999, head back up North 500 miles and try to settle in the mountains of North Georgia, SE Tennessee, Northern South Carolina and Western North Carolina......

And they are called "Half Backs". Florida is a word you spit on the ground, in Cherokee County, NC.

SuprHtr and stevemc like this.
  8. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Awhile back my wife used the term "dank" referring to something dark and wet and my kid told her to stop acting cool like a stoner and using lingo she doesnt know. I sort of remember hearing dank is used alot for good weed but my kid had noooo idea it was actually a real word that normal people use in everyday sentences

We use it now any chance we get around him and laugh our asses off :)

9. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I used the term moola for money around my hispanic friends and they thought it was a hoot. I thought it might have been a spanish term but they never heard it at least in that context. Maybe it was hawaiian?

10. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Woops

11. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

100% southern -is a banana samich I remember when I was in the Navy and they had bananas out on the mess deck. I grabbed one and some bread. I proceeded to apply some peanut butter one slice of bread and mayonnaise on the other. As I sliced up the banana and put it all together one of my shipmates eyes bugged out and he exclaimed what the hell are you eating. I said a banana samich.

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

In Ireland I’d often be greeted by someone I’d bumped into with “Wrighty, is it yourself?’.

13. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

During my military service I worked with two American guys and one Swedish guy for 4 years one was from Texas and the other from Alabama and they both used to say Y'all, so guess who picked it up and I still say it many years later. I get some strange looks too, then have to correct my self.. S

14. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

Yous is from Glasgow/NI.

15. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

And from Liverpool Scouse.

But I've only ever heard "Youses Guys" in New York!

Fretting out likes this.
  16. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

"Ima" contraction of "I'm going to."
    At first it irritated me but then I found out that it was a black slang. Which means when a white person says it it's cultural appropriation, not that it stops yous guys doing it. I'll stop here, that whole areas a minefield.

Incidentally, something I've wondered. There's a whole host of black slang expressions going back to the 1920's jazzers that been adopted by whites, some making their way over here. Axe meaning guitar for one. But is there any white slang expressions that have been adopted by blacks?

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

To bridge the tube/valve US/UK usage, I've decided to call them vubes. Let's see if it catches on.

18. RoscoeElegante

A lot of what us transplants to the South would call Southernisms are much shared by Southern whites and blacks in all regions of the country, as so much of "black" American English originated in and still echoes the South.

So in that sense, yes, many "black" idioms and sayings came from whites--but vice versa, too, though of course for a long time many white Southerners resisted recognizing that. There's a lot of overlap and mutual exchange there.

When I first moved to central Virginia, in 1984, I actually couldn't distinguish between, just by hearing them, black and white construction and maintenance workers when I'd hear them talking and teasing each other. The heavier the Southern accent in a given region, the more similar the phrasings, especially when blacks and whites are speaking across the racial tensions.

I'm in a very Appalachian part of Virginia now. While a much smaller % of blacks live here than in central Va., since this land was tough to farm and therefore there were fewer slaves and tenant farms, an Appalachian version of the many Virginia accents again blurs the racial lines. On our softball team, a white outfielder and our black pitcher, from separate but neighboring counties, both used the phrase "Git up on toppa it, now" for "Let's intensify our effort." Curious, I asked them individually where they'd picked up that phrase. Both said, "My grandaddy."

They also both said, "Saddle down" for settle down + get control of the situation.

19. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, a minefield indeed. Even for those who seem to believe they exist on some higher ground. Cultural appropriation, huh?

https://www.bet.com/music/2020/02/06/erykah-badu-fragrance-vagina.html

Soul legend Erykah Badu previously revealed to InStyle that she was launching her own online store, Badu World Market, where she also shared the various types of merchandise that would be up for grabs.

Ahead of the store’s February 20 launch, Badu shared that she’s working on one unique item that's sure to pique buyers’ interest: a special perfume. But not just any perfume — one with a fragrance that smells like her vagina.

20. RoscoeElegante

Uh-oh. I'm not a moderator, of course, but I think we just reached the thread-snip point. teletimetx, in the interest of the thread continuing, maybe you can edit your last post to euphemize that iffy bit?

We probably also oughta leave "appropriation" alone and get back to stuff we say that our furrener friends find quirky.

Just sayin'....

stevemc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.