1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

noisy compressor question

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Guitharley, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Hey all
    I travelled out of town last week to buy a new acoustic(more on that later) and also did a trade, used pedal for used pedal at the shop.
    I wanted to try a compressor and they had a used Keeley so made the swap.

Today was first chance to try it out and I really liked what I was getting out of it but problem was it would be dead quiet while playing then all of a sudden a real static crackly sound sometimes with a tic tic tic added, then quiet again for maybe 10 minutes then do it again.

I took all other pedals out of the chain to be sure it was the compressor causing it.

Do I have a faulty compressor or is there something I need to learn about compression?

2. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Are you using a battery or a plug-in power supply? That sound isn't 'normal' but wall power can make some weird sounds come out of your amp.

3. Guitharley

I am using a voodoo labs power plus to power the pedal

4. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

My guess is that this noise is in the signal that the compressor is hearing.

Does it happen when someone turns on a microwave or a blender or a fluorescent light? Could be, your guitar has been picking that noise up all along but now it’s being lifted to audible level by the compressor.

Guitharley and Obsessed like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I borrowed a used Keeley 4 knob for two years and never heard anything like this. One thing to note about compressor pedals is that they can accentuate noises in your chain. Another thing to note is that if not used as an effect, it is used for very subtle control, so don't be tweaking knobs too much. It takes quite sometime to learn how to use one well and effectively (no pun intended), so be patient.

Guitharley likes this.
  6. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

not sure if it takes a battery, but might be worth trying it with a 9v. At least you'd know if there was an issue with the AC power on the pedal. IDK

Alex_C and Guitharley like this.
  7. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Are you playing next to your computer or cell phone?

loopfinding likes this.
  8. Guitharley

some excellent suggestions, My shop is 100 plus feet from the house but it does have flouresent lighting, the noise is very intermittent...very quiet for maybe 5 or 10 minutes then crackly hissy for maybe 30- 45 seconds then quiet again.
    I also tried different power cables and power ports off of the power supply, and removed all other pedals and went guitar into pedal, pedal out to amp. When noise is bad and I switch off pedal all is dead quiet.
    Will try find some time tomorrow to do some more testing.
    All advice much appreciated
    Thank you

9. Guitharley

no computer in shop but cell phone was 8-10 feet away and charging...so maybe?
    thanks
    I will play with that idea tomorrow as well
    thanks

10. Sean Spears

Sean Spears TDPRI Member Vendor Member

Hey, this doesn't sound right to me at all. It sounds like the LM13700 is starting to go out, crackling and static is a byproduct of this.

Shoot me an email at [email protected]. Let's get that Comp in the the shop and if I cannot fix it I will replace it.

Sean

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. Guitharley

Hey Sean...so awesome
    it may not be the pedal that is giving me grief
    .......I have been so busy with family stuff have had very little time to play with it.
    However I did drop a 9v battery in it and it seemed much better. I will do more testing when I can.
    I certainly would like it to be part of my pedalboard and powered off of the voodoo labs power supply like the others.
    I will send you an email when I have experimented a tad more
    Thank you greatly for your response

Sean Spears likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.