1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Noisy Area T Neck & Area T Hot Bridge?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Wamba, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

I recently upgraded my G&L ASAT Tribute Classic with Area T pickups.

The stock pickups (MFD) sounded great but they didn't do higher gain stuff well and squeal like a pig when the volume gets up. So, after a ton of research, I purchased a set of Area T's from a guy on Reverb.com. I also upgraded the electronics (purchased from a guy who custom builds guitar electronics), new CTS pots, cloth covered wiring, treble bleed and PTB/Bass contour.

A friend (electrical engineer) help me install the "new" pickups (using DiMarzio diagrams and instructions) and double check all of the electronic connections.

This set-up sounds amazing. Great cleans, twangs like a Tele on steroids and they can bring the ROCK.

The pickups (both) are nearly dead quiet when clean and twangy but get surprisingly noisy (worse than the original MFD's) in higher gain settings.

So, here's my question, is this "normal" or did I miss something?

2. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I'm using the same pickups - perhaps they don't go well with your boost pedals if that's what you mean by higher gain.

Never had that problem. Did you try through a different amp ?

3. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

I think I have narrowed the noise down to a Joyo American Sound that for whatever reason doesn't seem to get along with these new pickups. These pickups sound amazing by the way!

4. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

Last week I replaced the mfd bridge with an area t off my Tele plus. I couldn't get the pickup to stop buzzing. I promptly put the mfd back into my usa asat. I don't know much about technical stuff, other than replacing pu's and pots...but I suspect it has something to do with the thin wires that dimarzio uses. They feel cheap compared to the stock cloth covered wires in the mfds.

5. Wamba

Wamba TDPRI Member

Hmmm, my MFD's did not have cloth coved wires.

6. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

I guess that's the extra $1000 you pay for a us made asat.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

It's NOT the thin hookup wires on the Dimarzios, whatever it is. Those wires are a lot thicker than the 43 AWG wire (yards and yards of it) that all pickups are made of, FWIW.

8. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

IIRC, there can be some noise issues with pairing ferrous bridge plates and Area Ts. The 'modern' brass-based bridges apparently don't present this problem. You may want to Google that topic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.