Noiseless Tele pickups with more oomph!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by AcousticMinja, Mar 11, 2021.

1. AcousticMinja

AcousticMinja TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I've got a cool little partscaster I've had for years now and it has had every iteration of hardware and pickup combos I can throw at it. I always keep coming back to having it be just a standard S/S tele as I find that combo covers pretty much everything that I need. I'm having some issues making a decision on bridge pickups. See, I love telecasters and I love the sound, clarity, punch, and overall versatility it gives. But I also love hard rock, metal, alt rock, lots of gain etc...as well as sparkly cleans, ambient music, jazz, and so on. That said...

I've been trying to find that perfect middle ground without going full humbucker and so far my current setup is a BKP bootcamp brute force bridge and a GFS goldfoil ferrite neck pickup. 500k pots for a little more loudness. Sounds really good but good gravy the volume drop off between the two is so stark because the bridge is so hot! it also buzzes like a honeybee farm with gain. (usually gain on bridge, clean on neck/neck+bridge)

I went the noiseless route for a while with Gen 4 Fender noiseless but they just didn't sound the way I wanted. A little dull, low output, thin at times. I've also used the SD Hot Stack and I can't really remember the way they sounded other than it sounded good but I sold the guitar I had that set in.. maybe that was a sign. Not sure. Memory sucks these days.
    I don't want to go full humbucker like hot rails but I don't want to stick with just regular single coils since I use so much gain at times (at least on bridge)

What do you guys recommend that's a good middle ground? Has more "oomph" than the thin fender ones I tried but without going full blown humbucker like hot rails. Decent output but not so ridiculous that the neck disappears, can handle everything a normal tele can, just more full bodied- more mids perhaps without losing twang and character.
    Currently I've got my eye on the mojotone broadcaster quiet coils or the dimarzio area hot T bridge as a starting point!

TL;DR:

Need to find fat, full bodied, noiseless telecaster pickup that's versatile without losing character.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like Kinmans.
    They ain't cheap, and can be hard to find/
    They sound great and are wonderfully noiseless.

Golem and AcousticMinja like this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Dimarzio air series are the best I have heard. They make a "hot" version. It sounds like you really need either two guitars or a vintage output guitar and an EQ pedal to shape the output for a full rock sound.
    PS when you boost the mids up the twanginess goes down, or is less obvious, it's all relative.

Chicago Matt and AcousticMinja like this.
  4. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Bardens.
    They can do it all.
    A step above anything else.

AcousticMinja likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Secretly, find some MIM ceramic telecaster pickups from a decade ago. ~10k resistance. Try them and see how well they drive an amp into saturation. Almost P90 like. If you like them, use them but don't tell anybody, and avoid the ceramic-doubting gaze of indignation.

6. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Highly suggest that you just use a pickup you like and boost it with pedals and your amp. I love my 10 band EQ pedal that has gain control. It makes my vintage pickups smash the input of my amp and I can adjust the EQ curve to warm it up or cut as desired. You're trying to get everything you want from a pickup, but I guarantee some quality time with the rest of your signal chain (using pickups you already dig) will get you the versatility you're missing. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to get fat rock tones when you build from a delicious, juicy clean tone.

Other methods, try higher output strings and different amps/cabs. Run your guitar volume low and EQ your amp/pedals to taste then boost with your guitar volume. P90s (noiseless or not, HB sized or not) occupy a space between humbuckers and single coils. Many PAFs can occupy that middle ground as well, as do Fender's wide range humbuckers. But you'll be well served if you stop putting all the responsibility on your pickups - they can only do so much!

7. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Given the range of music you'd like to play on it, and that 60 cycle hum is bugging you, I recommend Mojotone's Broadcaster Quiet Coil. Sounds like a nice beefy Tele bridge pickup - and when A/Bing it with my standard single coils, I didn't hear anything lacking. Then, as @alex1fly says, boost with pedals for the higher gain stuff - don't ask the pickup to do all the lifting!

Note that the Dimarzio Area Hot T may do the same thing for you. I had it a long time ago and liked it, but I don't remember it passing the regular single coil comparison test with the same flying colors as the Mojotone Broadcaster QC did. Also, the hum cancelling on the Mojotone is perfect on a standard ferrous bridge, whereas the DiMarzio (like many stacks) is a little noisier unless you use something like a brass bridge.

Good luck in the search, and please report back what you've landed on.

Chicago Matt and AcousticMinja like this.
  8. AcousticMinja

AcousticMinja TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I agree that I shouldn't use the pickup as the only factor in tone; perhaps some new strings could serve well too. I've got some EB cobalts laying around. Supposedly they help with output and I remember enjoying them on my strat Sometimes when I get into the pursuit of tone I get obsessed with the pursuit and forget about the tone! The OCD in me.

I'll definitely consider those mojotones as per last reply. Though, dimarzio has always been on my radar. Never really gave either a shot. Last dimarzio I had was a d-sonic in an LP copy. Will let you know what I go with for sure

Ron C likes this.
  9. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Holic

I have a Parker P-36 that the previous owner put in a set of GFS NeoVin Power Rock Tele pickups. I've been really happy with them. Good Tele tone, can drive a preamp, and very quiet (stacked coils).

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Ganjamancer, DavidP, hopdybob and 2 others like this.
  11. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

Wilde pickups are some of the finest noiseless coils on the market. Make sure to pickup their Q-filter and wire it to a push pull pot with a normal capacitor. Most guys who think Wilde pickups sound flat just aren’t used to the full range sound. The Q-filter let’s you change the tone and capacitance of the pickup and gives you many sound options.

Ganjamancer and Chicago Matt like this.
  12. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Dimarzio Area T 615. Hotter than the regular Area T, not as hot as the Hot one. Plenty hot for me in my Tele. Totally noiseless (depending on your bridge plate material; mine is stainless steel, and it is perfect), still sounds like a Tele, but on steroids. I could not recommend it more highly. I went to this pickup from a Wilde L280TL. I could not be more pleased.
    For a neck pickup, the Wilde L280TN can't be beat. Clear, warm, and louder than the Dimarzio AreaT neck model. I have had this pickup for going on twenty years, and it's a keeper.

SbS likes this.
  13. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Had SD Little '59 but replaced it with Area Hot T just couple of days ago.

Still getting used to it and making adjustments, but like it already better than SD Lil'59. DiMarzio is more like Tele pickup, but with enough juice to find good balance with neck humbucker (DiMarzio 36th Anniversary). But in your case, that 615 version could work too.

I have A500K pots, and Hot T was actually little on the bright side with them (we all have different set ears though). After changing the pickup and testing I replaced .022uF tone cap with .047uF, to balance highs a little bit.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  14. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

You are likely going to find that the pickup that does OD the best in the bridge position, and retains Tele twang when clean, might not offer a good balance in output with neck pickup.

15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Coil sized rails? I liked those on my ex CV50.

JIMMY JAZZMAN likes this.
  16. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Fralin Split Blades. noiseless.
    the High Output model.

(no it is not super high output, in fact it's just a little hotter with enough ooomph!!).

Video> to phone, no massaging. All positions, clean:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    joealso likes this.
  17. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

wonder if the Bill Lawrence microcoils with adjustable polepieces would deliver more that the L280.
    they are not noiseless but really silent

Ganjamancer likes this.
  18. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos Tele-Meister

Great suggestions all around I guess!

Lately have been pondering getting some Lace sensors on my Tele, Red/Blue combo similar to Jonny Greenwood's. I'm not looking for "High" oitput per se, but a good all around rock pickup, for bridge and neck. The HOT T from Dimarzio might fit the bill for me. I have Hot Golds on my Strat and really like them and others using the red/silver/blue combo in their Strats like them, so I figure the Red in a Tele should be good enough for me.

I'm open to other suggestions.

19. Steve_U1S

Steve_U1S Tele-Afflicted

Another JBE / Barden bump here - very versatile.

20. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

EMGs. Plenty of Ooommmph! I put a T-system set in a parts caster, and it now rocks, and sounds surprisingly (considering the other comments I have seen about these) Tele-ish. They will drive most anything. And are quiet.

Ganjamancer and TeleCarlos like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.