Noiseless pickups for Mustang?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by danadig, Nov 1, 2018.

1. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Hey all!

There's a 2002 CIJ 69 Competition Mustang up for sale at a local guitar shop, and I've always wanted a Mustang. Tempted to buy it, but the thing is that 60 cycle hum drives me nuts when I play in my band. With my strat it was an easy fix, I installed DiMarzio Areas and Pro Track in the bridge and love it.

For a Mustang, I'd want it to still sound as close to a Mustang as possible, but noiseless. Does anyone know if there are good noiseless Mustang pickups out there?

I've heard of people putting in noiseless strat pickups, but don't want it to sound like a strat since I already have one. I love the classic jangly grungy sound of a Mustang.

Thanks!
    Here's a pic [​IMG]

2. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

Golem likes this.
  3. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Mustang pickups are Strat pickups with flat poles and sometimes lower inductance. You're not going to get Strat out because the bridge and scale make it a very different guitar. I put a set of Bill Lawrence's L280s from Wilde in a friend's Mustang years ago, which really brought out the versatility of the instrument. The L200s would be a great Alnico-poled noisefree to keep the 60s vibe with plenty of the clarity you probably like out of the Mustang. Just keep height adjustments in mind because the original plastic covers in effect lower the pickup.

BorderRadio likes this.
  4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yep, what DK said. These are basically low-wind Strat pickups on a shorter scale, located at different point along the string. Nothing grungy sounding about them. I don't use noise-free single coils so I can't help ya there, but I'd go Bill Lawrence myself.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  5. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Kinmans if price isn’t an issue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.