1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Noiseless pickup for an Esquire, a little help for five watt world

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fivewattworld, Aug 18, 2020.

1. fivewattworld

fivewattworld TDPRI Member

Gentlemen, I am working on a video idea for the fall on one pickup guitars. It seemed inevitable with the channel's "most music from the least gear" tagline and I've been fascinated with Esquires since I bought a MIJ '62 Custom back in the '90's (never should have let it get away.)

I'm looking for a pickup that is split-able (guitar nerd word if there ever was one) so I can get split, parallel, and series tones on the three way blade switch. Though I am a tele devotee I am more in the Robben Ford and Allen Hinds tone camp so Broadcaster tones are very welcome, as are low output 'bucker tones of course.

If you've been on my channel you also know I'm a fan of Strandberg Salen guitars, and I'll be using one of their butterscotch blonde classics as the base for this. I love the (perverse?) idea of a '50's style idea wedded to a very modern styled grand son of a Esquire. I'm even thinking of having my buddy Phil Jones (formerly of the Gibson Custom Shop) relic it (see separate post to weigh in on that.)

So what do you like? I've written to Rob McNelly and to Lindy Fralin and am waiting to hear back, but your experience is broad and deep. School me on this. As always, your help is deeply appreciated.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

Possibly not an option for you, but I bought a UK made 'Oil City' Diesel Tap pickup for my Esquire project. It allows me to tap off 6K or the full 9K, but I don't know if that would also give you the options for series/parallel as well.

FWIW I put an Eric Clapton mid boost into mine, hidden under the pickguard:
    Wired in.jpg

I wired the switch for: 'Cocked wah' (modified Eldred wiring), fixed tone of 0.022uf/250K and tone bypassed. The tone knob controls the mid boost gain and pulling it up gives the low output/brighter 6K winding.

That's a lot of tones for a 'simple' Esquire, especially once I start adjusting the volume and mid boost to play them off against each other.

Of course I play it into a Champ clone I recently rehoused after I had a Tweed cab made:

Esquire & Champ 4.jpg

Incase it's of use:

https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/diesel-tap

They also do a 10k/15k model called the 'Wapping Wharf':
    https://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/product-page/wapping-wharf

I've recently been watching some of your videos. :)

EDIT: Probably a lot less useful than your videos as I've now noticed the 'Noiseless' part in your OP. :oops:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Tonetele likes this.
  3. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The Seymour Duncan Little 59 is a noiseless 4 conductor tele bridge humbucker. That sounds like it would check all the major boxes, right? Not the highest output, so I have no idea if it’ll sound the way you want it to.

Big fan of the channel, by the way! You’ve inspired me to start selling off my infrequently used gear.

fivewattworld likes this.
  4. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Amazing idea, I cannot wait for this video. Qpickups have some good split compatible pickups.

fivewattworld likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.