Noiseless ‘Noisy” Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Craig Long, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Craig Long

Craig Long TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Two of my Telecasters act as backups for one another and have the same pickups installed - a SD Vintage Stack in the neck and a SD Little ‘59 in the bridge. The first of the two (American Standard) has traditional wiring and is perfectly silent, even in noisy venues. The second Tele incorporates a series/parallel button and has a treble-bleed circuit (American Deluxe) and is unreasonably noisy. I’ve checked The solder connections, had a skilled tech do the same, and neither of us have been able to determine why the second Tele is so susceptible to noisy environments. Why would one guitar be noisy and not the other? Any thoughts or recommendations as to the potential cause?

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Consult another tech. Either it’s not wired correctly, or it has some bad components. There is no inherent reason for that guitar to make any noise.

Craig Long likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As far as suggestions- if it were my guitar, and I’d tried everything to trace it down with no luck, I’d gut it completely. I’d take each pickup, and test it in a separate guitar. If they’re noiseless there, they aren’t the problem. If they are noisy, problem solved.

If they were ok, I’d re-install them in the Am Dlx with all new wire and components. Switch, pots, Jack, all of it.

Craig Long likes this.
  4. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

Is the ground properly grounded?

Craig Long likes this.
  5. Craig Long

Yes. That’s a good question, but that’s one of the first things I checked. Thanks, Monkey.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  6. Craig Long

That’s the point I’ve reached. In fact
    I’ve almost reached that point, my friend. This time, though, I think I’ll try something new. Might as well turn a bad situation into a good one, right?

Jakedog likes this.
  7. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

After rereading this post, it's not clear to me if the guitar is noisy all the time or it's noisy in certain environments. And what is a "noisy' environment exactly?

8. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Is either guitar shielded ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.