Noise Solutions?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sunny Todd, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

Hi Everyone, Seeing as there are so many single coil players in here I thought I could check in on noise gates, noiseless pickups, etc. and what works best to quiet things down for you.

My Tele's pickups are a Texas Special (N) combined with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound (B) and is very well wired. Its not particularly noisy as far as Teles go, in fact its just a little noisier than my semi-hollow w/ humbuckers.

The real culprit for me I think is the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube pedal that I use for overdrive / distortion. It's central to my tone and I love both channels but its noisy.

I'm considering trying this Rowin gate for $30 as a cheap possible solution, anyone used it?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IV0CX7S/?tag=tdpri-20

I don't think I'd spring for noiseless pickups unless that was the only option, especially as it seems taming the pedal is the goal here anyway.

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I just use Duncan stacked noiseless pickups and I don't worry about noise anymore.

ping-ping-clicka and Sunny Todd like this.
  3. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

noiseless pickups have come a long way and get you 99% of the true single coil tone. the offerings from dimarzio are especially good. still not 100% in my book... but it's way easier to deal with than the noise.

that rowin gate is hands down the best cheap gate out there. BUT... even with the "hard" setting... you'll still hear some single coil hum before it clamps down. it'll clean up your sound a lot... but that little touch of hum before it works drove me nuts. i still use it on my bass board where the hum isn't as obscene... but it definitely wasn't good enough (for me) on guitar.

I'd second the vote for noiseless pickups or shell out the extra coin for the ISP gate. that thing gates really quickly and doesn't color your tone much at all. it also has a really natural decay for ring outs

Sunny Todd likes this.
  4. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In Tele-Meister

My American Standard was noisy (especially buzzy RF noise). It came stock with some highpowered p/ups that I didn't really care for (it's an FSR Rustic Ash model), so I guess it had some sort of Texas pickups. Anyway, I had an old' 80s set of Duncans (Broadcaster and STR-1) that I put in. The guitar came with shielding paint, and I rewired it with cloth type wiring. Since these have a metal pickguard, I connected it to the shielding with a section of foil. Another thing I did, was twist the white/black output wires. This took care of the electrical interference noise problem. I have an ISP unit on my pedal board that takes care of the hum.

I'm currently redoing a MIM '72 Thinline (shielding paint, wires, pots/switch), it will be dead quiet when I'm done. Of course, it has WRHBs, (those are being rebuilt), so hum should not be much a problem anyway.

Sunny Todd likes this.
  5. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I tend not to worry about noise. If you'd heard my playing you'd know why.

GuitLoop, Kezzell and Sunny Todd like this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Great sounding pedal

Mincer and Sunny Todd like this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I only have one (electric) guitar with humbuckers; the rest are my teles with various brands of single coils (including one with a P-90 in the neck position). My guitar with dual humbuckers is almost too quiet. It can be disconcerting to pick it up after it's been sitting a while, only to discover that the amp's still on.

The hum in some settings is worse than others, but at most gigs, it's barely noticeable. still, it's nice to know about the DiMarzio noiseless being good single coil tone and noiseless. Thanks for that, @joeford .

Sunny Todd likes this.
  8. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

Agreed, I can't find another 2 channel drive that sounds that good.

9. Sunny Todd

Sunny Todd TDPRI Member

Thank you, I'm going to look into that ISP. Have your tried Fenders noiseless pickups? Especially the newest version that's in the Elites is supposed be pretty good, but I've never played them. Wondering how they compare to dimarzio, etc...

10. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

I like the sound of single coils so I've just learned to manage the noise by turning the guitar volume down between songs - a volume pedal is handy for this.

I've been on stages where the only way to eliminate the buzz was to angle the guitar a certain way - it can look comical!

Cheers

Sunny Todd likes this.
  11. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Meister

Dimarzio Hum canceling Pickups here. Before the guitar Leaves the store.

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

BA280C6C-2977-495B-8892-CBF0F8B52CF9.jpeg I’ve admitted defeat.
    I now only own one guitar with a single coil pickup.
    This one.
    All my gigging guitars that once had single coils have new, silent pickups.
    My EJ Strat has Kinman Woodstocks, my avatar has a Duncan Hot Stack, and my Kestrel bass (J bass electronics) has noiseless Kinmans, too.
    I can tolerate single coil noise/hum at home, but not at the gig.

13. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

the last fender noiseless set i tried was a few years ago... and they were genuinely the worst noiseless pickups I've ever heard... really dull and lifeless. I've liked offerings from Wilde and Duncan... both stacked and mini humbuckers... but the dimarzio pickups were still the clear winners for me, the area-series pickups specifically. they're still not quite the same as a great set of single coils... nothing is... but they get really really close. i can't have hum... the sound guy, recording engineers and audience can hear it and dislike it. and if you're playing out, i think it's really selfish to subject them to that noise for a barely audible difference (my two cents).

maybe try the ISP first. i never used single coils with it... it might be enough on its own to get rid of the noise. and even if you do end up using noiseless pickups... the ISP is still useful in cleaning up RF and line noise beyond just 60 cycle hum. a decent noise gate should be the second pedal every guitarist owns (only second to a tuner)

14. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I'm a Chris Kinman fan. My two best Strats have his pickups in them and I have a set in my Number 1 Telecaster too. Such a Clean Machine!

15. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I have an MXR Smart Gate on my board that I use in certain situations. My #1 is an LP with P90s and my Tele is a close #2, so lots of single coil.

With good wiring in the guitars, I've found that I only need the noise gate in certain venues and mostly on higher-gain songs. In fact, now that k think about it, I use the noise gate only when using a pedal for high-gain stuff. Using my amp for high-gain isn't as noisy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

16. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think single coil PU noise is an important component of their tone ... I doubt that Jimi Hendrix or Roy Buchanan lost any sleep worrying about how to eliminate it ...

Stu Cazz likes this.
  17. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

A cheap noise gate can be like a bargain wife. Still makes noise when you don’t want to hear it.
    I use the MXR Smart gate. Has switch for different levels of hum relief and the level knob for the Gate . It helped a lot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.