Noise gate/reduction/suppression pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jonloder, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I got a Behringer copy of a Boss NS2 for $15 at a pawn shop. Now that I know that it works for what I want it to do. I'm ready to invest in a final solution.

My final considerations are:
    TC Electronics Sentry.
    Boss NS2
    ISP Decimator II G-string

It seems like the TC and the ISP are both getting better reviews than the Boss. It looks like the TC has more versatile controls but isn't as simple to use as the ISP. The one thing I do that's a little challenging for a noise-gate is occasional low-volume background playing during oration. I need something that will let me use lower volume without cutting out.

Does anyone have any good advice or experience to share on this decision making process?

2. Squier by Squier

Squier by Squier Tele-Meister

I got Sentry today, it was a game changer for me. Took few hours to get settings somewhere near. But especially when put the noisiest ones in their own loop.. wow.

I've heard that noise gates can be tricky. But Sentry feels really nice. Of course more tweaking can be done and will be done, but it is good already.

My Mooer Audiofile headphone amp started to sing too, when there's proper contrast between background noise and overdriven signal. Got better sound with less gain and distortion too than earlier.

Jonloder likes this.
  3. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

What a coincidence. I didn't get any responses to this thread so I didn't think anyone really cared too much about the subject. I watched several reviews of the Sentry and the Decimator. Once I saw that the Sentry is programmable, I settled on it and ordered the last one on the Amazon site. I'll bet getting it tomorrow.

I picked up a cheap, Behringer clone of the Boss NS2. (NS300) and ran a dedicated loop for the preamp in my CyberTwin and the noisy pedals. Although I couldn't get it to respond as well as I was hoping, it did prove it to be a great configuration. I was still getting the single-coil hum. I was able to get the Compression and Tube Screamer to really shine. I haven't heard anything bad about the Sentry yet so I'm hopeful.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I'm super happy with the EHX Hum Debugger... it works great for me.

I don't use it to deal with hiss & white noise, that's not what it does. But it works fantastically for getting rid of electrical hum. coming through single coils.

The only thing I really have on my pedal board that produces a ton of white noise is the Big Muff... that I can deal with.

5. tedtan

tedtan Tele-Meister

I realize you've already bought something, but the ISP Decimator II G-string will do what you want, even allowing you to ride the volume control on your guitar without cutting out.

Jonloder likes this.
  6. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I had it narrowed down to two: the ISP Decimator II G-string and the TC Sentry. For me, the decision maker was the Toneprints option on the TC. There's an online library of free programs developed by various players. Also, they have a free app for tweaking personal preferences. Now I'm looking at other Toneprint stomps. Damn them!

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been frozen looking for the right one!

At the very least it seems the loop design is essential because it reads your input dynamics.
    Just need to find a deal because I'm allergic to full retail prices...

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've had an NS-2 for years, it's served me well. I would imagine that at this stage in the game they're all going to be pretty similar in performance.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That feature actually puts me off, I'd prefer no knobs and certainly no need to connect my stomp box to a computer to set it!
    To each their own I guess...

10. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

That's one way to use it. There's a 3-way switch. You can forego the computer interface and use it like any other high-end box with a loop. It's also about $100 less than the Decimator.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.