Noise feedback with muff

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Axegrinder77, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Wasn't a problem until recently for some reason.

big muff tone wicker having major noise which sounds like feedback when pushing it with my comp, distortion, or od.

I don't mind a little "noise" when stacking, but this is an unusable level of feedback. It just wails without me even hitting the first note.

Is my pedal cooked? Power supply issue? What happened? Didn't do it before. Only thing I changed was taking my od808 off the board (the only buffered pedal). Could the buffer have been keeping them behaving before? Didn't think buffers did that.

Thanks

2. Axegrinder77

Just an update on info received...

Apparently the gain on muffs can be finicky. I can't remember, but may have turned it past noon. That's a no no I'm told. Will try that, as it explains the sudden onset of issues.

Cheers

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I run gain well past noon on muffs because the gain control is also a tone control.
    Gain down level up is bassy and dark, where gain up level down is brighter with less bass.
    Gain all the way up requires a very low level setting, but it's the only way to get many muffs to cut IME.
    It's certainly easy to get uncontrollable squeal with either gain or level too high, but you should be able to turn it down to no sound, then up to manageable function?

I have a lot of muff variants but no tone wicker, not sure specifically about that one.

I have one pedal I can't make work due to uncontrollable squeal at low settings, can't find a point where it works, this is a ZVex Fuzzolo, which also has massive bass.

Could be you get more control with gain up and level down, it's odd how the knobs work on different muffs where for example my Chicago Stomopworks violet ram needs both G & L knobs near 9 o'clock to not shriek.

Could also be your pickup got loose in the mount or the potting is getting old, and is more prone to squeal.
    Or a new speaker, amp is closer to you, room has more reflective surfaces...

4. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

When I compared a bunch of Big Muffs I had the same experience with the Tone Wicker version (huge white noise, squealing, etc. )
    It only happened with certain pedals before or after (can't exactly remember).
    All the other Big Muff's didn't care about what was in front or after.

Tonewise only one really stood out: a Black Russian with diodes I was never able to identify.
    I've sold most of the other Big Muffs and currently have:
    two different Black Russians V8,
    a Big Box V9 NY reissue (modded to Black Russian specs but with 1N4148 diodes instead of the Russian diodes),
    a Little Big Muff (V10 XO version, all smd components, also modded to match that one glorious Black Russian)
    an ICBM opamp version V5

Like most BM users I have the gain maxed out.
    I like the tone between 9 and 10 o' clock
    Volume knob depends on the taper (log or linear) of the volume pot (either around 9 o' clock or between 12 and 1 o' clock)

I find most BM's have wayyyy too much gain and wayyyyy too much bass.
    It's probably fine with low output single coils or other weaker output pickups but with my guitars it feels like the circuit kinda overloads and implodes.
    The green or black Russian circuit (V7 or V8) solves that with the much smaller coupling caps, feedback caps and the larger emitter resistors.
    But it becomes more of a very heavy but tighter distortion rather than a bassy, wooly, undefined mushy fuzz.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. Axegrinder77

Interesting. I've heard the Russian muffs are the most bassy, but have no personal experience.

I like the tone wicker version for the ability to bypass the tone stack. In fact, it's the only setting I use, and it sounds fantastic.

Interesting that you found the noise issue with the same version.

Gain down with tone bypassed sounds great.. So I'll try that. Otherwise I guess I have an excuse to look for another fuzz, and sell the wicker.

6. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Yea, no experience with the tone wicker, but I can run my NYC reissue at either end of the dial and not get the problem you're describing.

Having said that, I am modding mine, but so I have more options and mine has like acres of extra space inside, no issues other than how narrow its spectrum of use is compared to how I'd prefer it.

All fuzz is good fuzz(within reason). Some have more utility to them than others. Big Muffs (earlier ones, not the small ones) are pretty simple to modify, if you're bored, own a soldering iron, and find a used one cheap.

But, PLENTY of other options exist. The only fuzz in my list for the near future is a Black Cat Wee Buzz. There are other, more diverse pedals around, but the specific sound those make are great to have on the pallet.

It sounds like, since you are using tone bypass all the time and didn't mention the wicker setting, that another pedal is right for you. Years before the TW muff, the mod to bypass the tone stack was popular( R1/C1 are hi pass/low pass filters, you can pop a SPDT switch in to lift the ground and add this to any muff).Changing the clipping diodes have a noticeable difference too, as does changing parts of the gain stage, and the negative feedback loop. Theres a noise gate mod, where you wire a 100k trimpot as a variable resistor parallel to the 100k ground @ the second gain stage. I'm not even remotely "mod smart" but this stuff isn't much above basic melting solder level stuff.

Or.... plenty of companies have pedals that are modified muffs that di great things. Happy hunting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.