Noise? Did you say noise? Or Hummmmm

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Pickingthru, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Pickingthru

Pickingthru TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Help. I'm a stomp box pedal newb. The coronavirus has taken it's toll on my sanity and credit card balance.

Bought some pedals, a pedal board, and a True Tone 1 Spot Combo to power it.

Pedals in order of appearance in to out.

KLIQ Tiny Tune
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss BD-2
    Mosky B-Box
    Ditto

Except for the KLIQ and Ditto, they all make humming noise when daisy chained (correct term I think) with the 1 Spot Combo. Using the same power supply, they hum a tune if plugged individually. Also, turned off LED lights with dimmer switches and unplugged TV. No change in noise level.

I think it's my choice of power supply. Remember I'm a newb and afflicted with the "I've been home too long blues".

Are they out of order? Or is it, as I suspect, primarily the power supply? Can anyone recommend better power supply that should correct my above white noise humming?

tah1962 likes this.
  2. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

What kind of guitar cable, and patch cables are you using?

3. Pickingthru

Guitar Cables

GLS Audio 10 Foot Guitar Instrument Cable - 1/4 Inch TS to 1/4 Inch TS 10-FT

Livewire Advantage Series 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable 10 Foot (Guitar Center suggestion)

Patch Cords

D’Addario PW-CGTP-305 Classic Series Patch Cable – Right Angle 1/4” Plugs

I will note that using the pedal battery power has not generated noise.

tah1962 likes this.
  4. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Have you tried running your pedals in a different order, specifically the MXR Phase 90 after your overdrive pedals? If that doesn’t help, try running your tuner and only one of the other pedals after it. Keep switching pedals out until you can determine which one it creating the most noise.

Also, how much gain are you using on your drive pedals? The more gain you use, the more noise will hear in your signal chain.

Your pedals are definitely not under powered with the 1-Spot as I believe it can power up to 1,700 mA’s.

5. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Here are a couple videos that may help.

6. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

How old is your Phase 90?
    My '70s 'script' version is centre positive on the power jack - the opposite of modern Boss-style.

7. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Do they make the same noise running on batteries? Or do modern effects not run on batteries anymore? :confused:

8. Pickingthru

Gain is less than 50% mostly in the 25%-35% range.

Just tried each pedal with the tuner and again individually without the tuner. No noise when using internal battery if available. The tuner by itself generates noise as soon as it is plugged in. Each pedal generates noise when I plug it in. The B-Box did not generate noise until I clicked it on but then when I turned it off, the noise did not stop. So far, my only common denominator appears to be the power supply. I read others have had good luck with the 1 Spot Combo. I may not be one of them.

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sounds like the power supply, why? I can't tell you. I have one pedal that effects other pedals when daisy chained power .

tubelectron likes this.
  10. Pickingthru

Phase 90 is about five months old and bought new.

11. Pickingthru

Using battery power, I get no noise. All of the pedals don’t have internal batteries.

12. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

If you mean that if only one pedal plugged and connected to your PSU already HUMS, then it's your PSU which is defective or unsuitable to your use.

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

13. Pickingthru

Ordered a Truetone 1 SPOT PRO CS6 today. Hope that fixes the noise. Chalking it up to another coronavirus purchase at this point.

14. davidwhitson

davidwhitson Tele-Meister

One Spots can be fine. Depends on your location and your combination of pedals. They get a lot of hate on forums.

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Power supply blues.....

Daisy Chain power supplies can create ground loop hum through the power cable.

“Chopper” power supplies can induce their own hum. Particularly if they have to produce a lot of current. Older style power supplies (so called analog power supplies) transformed the wall voltage down to something near the voltage output required. That would then be rectified and smoothed in a capacitor bank. Finally, there would be an analog circuit that provided the final voltage regulation (sort of like a controlling hose pressure with your hose bib valve). Newer switching supplies and rectify the 120 Vac, smooth that a bit with a smaller capacitor, then have an “on-off” switch drive the current into the output. Based on the load, this time based or pulse width modulated digital output implies a voltage based on the power input impedance of the loads and their instantaneous current requirements. This is sensed with an output voltage sensor. Because of the rapid switching, and the fact that cheaper supplies do not necessarily have great filtering, the DC power can have a significant AC component to it. Some pedals will then amplify that power noise (since very few have sophisticated power filtering either.

One Spots are not terrible supplies, and they can be great in specific situations. Indeed, I have a couple and they have worked in the situations where I don’t need a lot of power and I’m not attached to many pedals with high gain. But, they are switching non-isolated supplies and the nature of non-isolated power carries a potential for the induced 50 or 60 Hz (depending on location) hum from ground loops. And when switching power supplies get loaded up, they get noisy (as a rule).

16. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Is your One Spot plugged into the same power strip as your amp? If so, separate them. That made ALL the difference in the world in my setup. I can't believe how long I lived with hum noise before it dawned on me to try it. Lastly, if that doesn't work, try plugging one spot and amp/s into completely separately outlets (I didn't need to go that far).

Finally, I find dirt pedals make more noise than the others.

17. Pickingthru

Good thought, but the 1 Spot was plugged into a totally separate circuit.

18. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Bummer. Worked like a charm for me.

19. Pickingthru

Got the new CS6 in yesterday. I can say there's not a hummer in the bunch now. Appreciate the help and comments.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.