NOGD-- 70s Yamaha FG335

stillrockin

Tele-Meister
Took a drive across town to check out a 90s-era Washburn dreadnought at a used instrument shop. Also on display was a 1978 Made-in-Taiwan FG335 Yamaha. Both were recently restrung at the shop w/ fresh 12s. The Washburn (D21S solid spruce top) sounded darn nice. But when I asked the sales guy (an older gentleman) to strum some open chords on each guitar, the plywood-bodied Yamaha took the day... hands down. I measured the string action at 12th fret to be 9/64". $150.00 bucks? SOLD! I spent a couple hours cleaning the guitar yesterday. (It was a 44-year-old sticky, gooey, filthy mess.)
Lesson learned: As ubiquitous as these old Taiwanese Yamahas are, you may, indeed, come to love and appreciate them. I certainly have! Keep on pickin'!

Attachments

• 20220627_082510.jpg
    20220627_082510.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220627_082137.jpg
    20220627_082137.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 16

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I am a great fan of the old red label Yamahas (my first guitar was an FG-150 which I still have). The one caveat however, and it sounds like your guitar is in this boat, is that they are really difficult to reset the neck. I did resort to sawing the neck off of mine and converting to bolt on but I don't do this for others.

You should probably do a complete evaluation and see what you are faced with.

stillrockin

Tele-Meister
I am a great fan of the old red label Yamahas (my first guitar was an FG-150 which I still have). The one caveat however, and it sounds like your guitar is in this boat, is that they are really difficult to reset the neck. I did resort to sawing the neck off of mine and converting to bolt on but I don't do this for others.

You should probably do a complete evaluation and see what you are faced with.
You're so right, Freeman. Thankfully, I'm an 'open chord/ first position' kinda guy. 60s/70s folk tunes. And, down toward the nut, things are quite playable. There won't be any neck reset ($$$) for this guitar. I am, however, toying with the idea of installing a JLD Bridge Doctor (just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else. 😃)

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
You're so right, Freeman. Thankfully, I'm an 'open chord/ first position' kinda guy. 60s/70s folk tunes. And, down toward the nut, things are quite playable. There won't be any neck reset ($$$) for this guitar. I am, however, toying with the idea of installing a JLD Bridge Doctor (just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else. 😃)
I have fairly strong opinions about the Bridge Doc, which I will keep to myself. I'll be interested in your experience, however.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Congrats, man! I have had 2 of the Taiwanese Yamahas and they are my favourite Yamahas.