Nocturne pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ndcaster, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Tavo's pedals get a lot of love in the Gretsch community -- how well do they work in tele land?

Is anyone using the Mystery Brain? the El Pescadoro? and if so, did they replace anything?

interested in all responses, but especially from those who use these pedals with solid-state amps -- do they work any magic there?

BorderRadio, Tube Life and Old Plank like this.
  2. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

My experience is limited to an Atomic Brain, but if I could only keep one of my 20-something pedals, it would be the one.

It works well with any of my amps, including a Katana 100 (since you asked about solid state). It also does well with any guitar, non-Filtertron humbuckers, P-90s and Strat/Teles included.

The only issue I’ve had is that it doesn’t agree with my Klone (Mythical Overdrive). It’s not a tone thing, but an electrons kinda thing. I’m sure there’s some incompatibilities with Klone charge pumps or buffery things that are beyond my grasp, so I just don’t use them together.

The Klone is the one that ends up in the drawer though.

I, too, am intrigued by the Jr Barnyard or El Pescadoro, but I need to stick with a recent pledge to play, not accumulate gear!

Tube Life, Old Plank and ndcaster like this.
  3. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have several Nocturne pedals and dig em all. I don’t play out so they’re all on one board. I play them with Gretsch or Strats, all sounds good. Have only tube amps so no experience with solid state amp and these pedals.

@50ShadesofOrange I am actually a couple of days away from receiving a vintage spec Mythical Overdrive and bummed about those two pedals not getting along. Was it before or after, or didn’t matter where it was placed in the chain?
    1B245ADA-05AF-488A-B71F-2FE394B4C577.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Old Plank and ndcaster like this.
  4. 50ShadesofOrange

50ShadesofOrange Tele-Meister

It was with the Atomic Brain at the front of the chain, so it didn’t amplify any noise from other pedals. I’ve never tried the MO before it, I guess since I’ve used the AB to boost, not be boosted.

Tube Life likes this.
  5. Tube Life

Tube Life TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thanks, I read Tavo’s recommendation to have the Ubangi before the AB or MB because of the limited headroom in that pedal, which is a modified RAT pedal. I’m thinking this could be the case with the KLON and I was gonna put it before the Mystery Brain anyways. We’ll see if this works or not.

6. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I have a Mystery Brain that I keep on at all times no matter what guitar I’m playing.
    The preamp section gives the signal from Gretsch Filtertrons a great kick in the butt on their way to an amp, but it also does great stuff for my Tele singlecoils.
    I also use a Nocturne Fluid Drive for an OD/Boost pedal. It’s incredible.

7. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I have the Jr Barnyard. It works great for low gain OD with just about any single coil. I particularly like it with neck pickups and big fat coil pickups like p90s and my Lollar HB format CC, and I love it with the Manlius 54 style A3s I put in my MIJ Strat.

It can be used for tone shaping with just the preamp side but I usually also kick in the boost side for a bit of grind. Used that way it does a great job emulating 1940s octal tube amps. Captures the flavour of those old recordings. For example, listen to some Charlie Christian where he does some overdriven double stops. The Jr B captures that vibe nicely.

I also like it with the boost set very low so that it isn’t obviously distorted but still fattens the tone and adds harmonic complexity.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Atomic Brain and Mystery Brain owner.
    Great great pedals

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I have a Jr. Barnyard but don't use it with a tele. I use it at very low gain settings with my DeArmond-equipped archtops to get the "octal amp" sound when I can't use a real one. It's very nice.

BorderRadio likes this.
  10. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

I have the Dyno Brain which I use with my Gretsch and the Tremolo which I’ve been using with my Tele for years....love it!

11. Walden

Walden TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I own the DynoBrain and combine it with a Sweet Cream OD for a nice crunch at very low volume levels. The amp is a 5 Watt Champ Clone.
    The only gripes I have/had with the DynoBrain was that blinding LED! :D but that was easily remedied with a strip of duct tape. Great pedal!

12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a dyno brain that is currently sitting in a drawer. I have gone to playing only Fenders through a DRRI and find the only pedal I need is a Keeley 2 knob compressor. The dyno brain is a beautifully made pedal and a great sound with the right setup. I may bring it out again someday.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I’ve owned a few, great stuff. The best of all, IMHO, and my lifer pedal is the Mystery Brain. I’d like a surf green Fluid Drive (but Timmy is fine too), or Ubangi (no longer made, I made my own). Wish I didn’t get rid of the Barnyard...

Tavo is pretty receptive to color requests if he gets enough of them :D

5F2EDE7E-B7CF-4EAE-BE88-808562AB574F.jpeg 948F0746-ACC3-4E5B-B93A-93198FD0BDCA.jpeg 3FF7CDD5-2F82-477F-AA25-70508EECE79D.jpeg 03F63E4E-146E-4FDA-A9EB-07D18F9E9FD9.jpeg 16EB4126-1FC7-475D-9915-73E7566CFC0B.jpeg

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Tavo makes fine pedals but I went off him when he went off on an Anti-Vax rant on his Facebook page.

15. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

5952CDCB-F183-4629-A831-933A0110864B.gif

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.