1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nocaster... what can you tell me about them?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Webfoot, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

I played one yesterday (blonde, relic'ed) that was fantastic. They listed at $3500, regular store price $3000 and special deal price $2500. I saw it and had played the road worn teles and knew what they sound liked. So was curious what would make the nocaster that much better for the price. So grabbed it and went into the sound room. Besides being a featherweight... the bridge position and middle position had the most perfect tonality I have ever heard for versality. Of course the neck pickup by itself was all bass and not useful by itself. I could not afford that kind of cash, but wow, it was good.

So why not just mod one of the roadworn teles?

Or where can you get a clone for much cheaper?

Does Fender sell the pickup set?

What do you think of the guitar and the pickup set?

2. markesquire

markesquire Tele-Afflicted

I had the same experience. I was absolutely blown away.

If the cost is absolutely impossible, you could:

1) get close by getting a '52 reissue and putting some Nocaster pickups in it (yes, they do sell them separately)

2) build your own to those specifications using parts from Musikraft, USA Custom Guitars, etc.

3. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

I can tell you the are DEFINITELY worth the money!!

I got one 2 weeks ago today. For years, I resisted even trying one due to neck size, fret size and money. I found a Wildwood special order that had the 9.5" radius neck and 6105 frets. So I bit the bullet and spent the money.

Mine weighs 6.9 pounds. And every one I have ever picked up was light.

But most importantly, I have owned dozens of Teles. I currently own 3.......one of which is a Custom Shop 1960 Customer Tele (double bound sunburst, also a 9.5/6105). The NoCaster is the most resonant and alive guitar I have ever played or owned.

Look at my profile here and you will see what I currently own to compare it to side-by-side.

A good friend kept pushing me to get one.....he will never imagine how glad I am that he kept pushing.

The Nocaster ARE that good.

I think Fender does still sell the pickup set. I bought a set a few years back and put them into an AmStd '51ri. I thought it sounded good -- and it was an improvement -- but it did not sound like the Nocaster. It starts with the wood. And I am now a strong believer that the big neck is what makes all the difference.

I went through the same experience with strats and les pauls. Ended up wih guitars with bigger necks and they all sound better.

Again I resisted. Now, I'll never look back......nor will I ever part with my Nocaster.

Just like the '70s Fender ad said: You won't want to part with yours either!

Oh, and the only clone that gets there is the Cunetto........but usually for the same or more dollars.......and it does not say "FENDER" on the head....and that is something I have to have.

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Buy a used one - that solves the price issue. I managed to find one of the relic ones with the 9.5" neck radius and larger medium-jumbo frets (a couple of dealers can get those including Fat Sound and Wildwood, it's got an amazing neck with most of the finish gone on the back, a very light and resonant body, you couldn't hope to duplicate this with a partscaster unless you were very very lucky. And if you ever tire of a used Nocaster, you can get your money back out of it easily. Not so with a partscaster, you'd be lucky to get 1/2 your parts costs back.

5. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, that is another reason to get the "real" one.:lol:

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

You can buy all the parts and make a clone for less but one in a store can be tried after its built so you know what it sounds like. A homemade one might sound great might sound good might just sound ok.

Ive never played a bad sounding Nocaster.

7. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

So are nocasters always relic'ed.

I believe that about the bigger neck making a better sounding guitar.

Is the 'normal' nocaster 7.25" radius and vintage frets? The frets felt bigger to me.

I have never felt more in control of a guitar as that nocaster because it sounded so good.

8. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Tele-Meister

The Nocaster is wired differently than normal. The "normal" neck alone position is actually the neck position with the treble rolled off. The middle position is the neck alone, and the bridge position is the neck blended with the bridge.

I want one so bad, but in a different non-reliced color.

9. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

Nocasters are not always relic'd. I had a NOS version, and at that time they also made Closet Classics, which may have been dropped now but are around used.
    Mine had a big neck and the vintage frets and radius.
    Really great guitar, which I kept the stock wiring in.
    Then I was able to build a partsocaster from a Nocaster body a friend had, so I sold the factory one. My build is 7/8 Nocaster for about 1/6 the price, and I can get the same sounds. It has no bragging rights or market value however (not that I care).

You can get big ol' necks like the Nocaster necks from AllParts, etc.
    I loved my CS Nocaster NOS, but I also love my present ride and sure didn't like having $2500+ wrapped up in a guitar, so though I miss it I still have 7/8.:cool:

10. telejake

telejake Tele-Meister

There was an interesting interview in Tone Quest with Glaser. He said he no longer builds complete guitars. He said you can look at the wood, tap the wood and look at the grain, but until you build it you don't know how it will really sound. He destroyed many. Many of us love our builds, but do they sound good to us because we built them? If the Nashville master stops building, it makes me wonder.
    His main point however, was always play a guitar before you buy it and always have the option to send it back if you don't like a mail order guitar. Some folks make good guitars, but most don't. :idea:

11. Luther Perkins

Luther Perkins Tele-Meister

I picked up my Nocaster after all kinds of consideration of partscasters, and stuff. I am very happy with my choice. Mine is an NOS and it is tops over any partscasters I've played made by me or otherwise. I got mine used in mint cond. for $1550. In hind sight there was no other choice.

12. jedi

jedi Tele-Holic

They are the best and my number one since I bought it almost 10 years ago. The big advantage to buying one now is there are a lot more to choose from in many finishes and weights. :p

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.