1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nocaster vs. Baja: A trip to Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by allen st. john, Jun 10, 2010.

1. mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb Banned

I agree that the people trying to sell you stuff gets very old. However, the door stamping is annoying, but it makes sense. There are kids that come in there and bang on stuff, and people bring their own instruments in to either get worked on or try out amps with, or try to sell and decide not to. It makes sense that they make sure you officially own what you're leaving with. Though, I wouldn't mind a free guitar or two, either.

2. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Good points. I didn't think about that stuff. Come in with an empty case...

So, if the GC staff are simply un-boxing new guitars and hanging them on the wall, then they are coming from the factories with these outrageous setups?

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Pretty much : ) that's a Large part of my Business

4. El Reclusa

El Reclusa Tele-Afflicted

I worked at MF around the time GC took 'em over. Post-GC, I had a supervisor- who doesn't play an instrument- tell myself and my department not to bother tuning guitars, as the tension of the strings at pitch would warp the necks. After the laughter abated, we were all appalled that he actually meant it. Point is, sometimes there are people at such places that would love to do a much better job but aren't really allowed to. I quit not long after that incident.

5. mr_goodbomb

mr_goodbomb Banned

As far as I can tell, yes. You'd have to ask a few GC employees to get a straight answer, but from what I can tell, there's a few points to consider. The higher-end stuff will have a better setup from the factory in general. That's to be expected, they just spent a little extra time on QC. Add to that, most GC employees are players, too. I've seen employees playing guitars before, and I'm sure that, if they're opening boxes and find something they'd like to play, they might spend a little time fine-tuning it if they get the chance to, just like anyone else would if they had the opportunity. And, since they work there, and won't really get harranged for playing the high-end stuff, I can guess that's what they're gonna try out.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

There an additional nuance, I think:

If the assembler at the North American or Japanese factory knows the instrument is headed for a persnickety dealer, they will sweat the setup. Dr. Mark Davis talks about these dealers; the guys who will just box the guitar up and send it back without batting an eye.

If that same man or woman knows the guitar is going to MF/GC or even more so, Sam Ash, I don't see them having the inclination to lay down those extra seconds of concentration. And these big boxes are in some cases I suspect the recipients (unwitting or otherwise) of the very guitars the persnickety dealer sent back once already. They don't know!!

However, it is not always evident when a guitar goes in the box, right away where it is going. THIS I think is why I have found some real sweeties at GC and been shipped 2 wonderful Jimmie Vaughans from MF.

Makes me wonder if Mellecaster and others ask gauche questions about what shop the guitar was first shipped to, before he has to fix it. ;)

+++

Something else. I have seen guitars fresh from some shop I liked more before my buddy took them in there. I have seen people tear out a nut I thought was perfect and replace it with another I thought was no match for the first. You leave some things from the factory "generically high and tweakable" so guys who want high nuts play them as is and guys wanting low ones have their favorite guy do his magic. It really is no crime that skilled guys stay busy going that last 10% getting the guitar the way it needs to be to suit YOU and only you the owner/player.

7. LiamDalmon

LiamDalmon Tele-Holic

I don't think that GC have a presence in the UK. Most of the guitar shops are small independants. There is a musical instrument chain called Hooters (great name :rolleyes:). I've never actually visited one of their shops. In Hemel, where I live, there's also a fantastic guitar shop called Fretz, owned by a friendly, knowledgable chap called Barry and his excellent staff. I guess what i'm getting at is that is that visiting there is a great experience, something I do to treat myself. I actually feel a little guilty when I only buy a couple of sets of strings!:oops:

Don't you have shops like Fretz in the USA? & if you do - why not use them in preference to GC?

Silly question really.

8. Telehackster

Telehackster Tele-Afflicted

Well, we have Hooters. But it's a different kind of place entirely.

9. LiamDalmon

LiamDalmon Tele-Holic

I think i can guess what kind of establshment it might be

10. voodoochile

voodoochile Tele-Meister

I've bought 4 guitars from GC and the only one that was setup properly was the used one. They hang all the guitars as is out of the box unless they see a 'visual' defect. I've had to setup all the guitars when i got home with them. However, even if they were setup, how do you hear yourself play over the guys who turn up to 11?

11. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

This is how Taylor made a zillion dollars. Martin's philosophy was that under no circumstances should a guitar buzz in the store, even when played by the most heavy handed bluegrass rhythm player.
    So they left the action high, with the option to lower it after you bought it.
    (which is a little bit more of a deal on an acoustic since it generally required lowering the saddle and/or nut slots.)

Taylor took advantage of this by selling guitars with much lower setups (and slimmer necks) to appeal to guys who were used to playing electrics and found Martins too hard to play.

That said, this Nocaster had some more serious issues, but I would bet that a set of 10s or 11s and a few minutes with a screwdriver and and Allen wrench and it would be playing and sounding much more like a $3200 guitar should.

A question: Are the 1951 Custom Shop Nocaster pickups the same ones that are in this guitar? Even in GC they were only about $130, which is much cheaper than Lollars, Fralins, or Mares, just to name a couple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.