1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

NoCaster srews

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by sdd28772, Jun 27, 2009.

1. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Hi,i bought a NOS Nocaster a few months ago secondhand in mint cond. An awesome guitar and shes up with my favorites to play. But i notice while i was practicing the other day there was one phillips head screw on the control plate, all other screws are flat heads. Its still got the traditional wiring and has not been modified. The fellow i purchased it off said its never been taken apart so its weired:confused:. So the question is there a reliable guitar hardware website out there that anyone knows of where i can get some flat head screws for a NoCaster:?: They have to be the exactly the same.

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Callaham

3. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Yea Callaham has them but I don't know that you can buy just one. If you have a decent hardware store near you take the correct one in and match it up. I think it's a regular round head wood screw but don't know the size. Matching the screws material/finish might be the bigger problem.

Following Mark's lead I looked at the Callaham selection. Looks like you can get a complete slotted set of stainless for 11 bucks or so. Never hurts to have spare Tele parts handy!

4. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Got it, thanks:)

5. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

dude I have one I'll give you. Are you in the US?

Ask him why its been switched if its never been messed with. Id be pissed.

Guitar Parts Resource has a dozen for around $6.

6. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

First off, they ain't flat head screws...they are called straight slot oval head screws, and are found just about anywhere that deals in Genuine Fender parts.

7. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

Tha's right.
    They sell 'em in little blister packs right at the Fender dealers. I seen 'em.

8. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Callaham

9. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

I believe Callaham only sells stainless screws, which technically are incorrect for any vintage Tele or reissue. The only stainless steel found on vintage Teles were the slotted saddles used from 1968 to 1982. The correct screws are chrome plated steel (ferrous).

10. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Woops! i meant to say slotted head but you got my point.
    Thanks all.

11. jedi

jedi Tele-Holic

You may want to call Fender directly.....I needed a truss rod screw for a NoCaster and they just sent me one.

12. surfoverb

they should be nickel.

13. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

I've not seen nickel plated screws on any modern Custom Shop Nocaster. Just chrome screws (that flake real easy).

14. surfoverb

Oh I thought they were nickel because nickel is yellowish and looks aged and chrome is shiny new looking. Im pretty sure 52RI have nickel.

15. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought them from Musician's Friend when I built my T-Style. I might have a few spares if you need one. E-mail me if you'd like.

16. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

AV 52RIs have always had chrome plated screws.

Chrome plating varies, and includes nickel. Chrome is shinier than regular nickel plating, but does dull and corrode (though I associate a yellow tint with chrome not nickel). In my experience, I prefer nickel plating on screw heads not only because of the appearance but because nickel is softer - the plating flakes less than hard chromium.

Anyway, stainless screws were never used on vintage or reissue Teles.

17. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The screws that I've seen used on American made Fender guitars have been nickel plated without chrome.

18. surfoverb

Yeah all the screws on my 52RI are nickel plated. As are the tuners...The only thing chrome is the control plate.

I find the difference between chrome and nickel visually are: nickel is duller and casts a yellow hue, chrome is shinier, has a milky look to it, and casts a blue hue.

19. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Info about plating for Fender branded/packaged pickguard screws varies; some reputable dealers refer to it as chrome (Elderly) others nickel (Angela's). My 50s Fender guitars have nickel plated screws. All my AV 52RIs (from early 1982 to early 90s) have had chrome screws. Shiny, brittle, flakey chrome slotted screws. I've had several CS Nocasters, also all with chrome screws.

Compared to my authentic, old Fender nickel plated screws and the real nickel plated wood screws I get from another source, the Fender pickguard screws on the modern 52RIs and Nocasters that I have had are obviously chrome.

20. Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly Former Member

If slot drive screws weren't such a pain to work with, I'd love to have 'em on my Tele, if only for the way that they look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.