Nocaster purchase

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Tele2, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Tele2

Tele2 TDPRI Member

I've been looking around for a Nocaster, similar to a Wildwood 10 but with only 2 left on their website to choose from I am thinking of possibly going the team built custom order route direct with CS. I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts on the following questions please:

1) How do the tall vintage frets compare to the Dunlop 6105 frets in terms of feel? I want to use a 9.5" radius on the fingerboard and I have guitars with both regular vintage frets and a LP (not sure if their stock frets are closer to what tall vintage fret wires are like).

2) I've not played a Baja tele but know that it has a Twisted Tele neck and Broadcaster bridge pick up. How would you compare that sound wise, with a regular set set of CS Nocaster pick ups?

3) Has anyone changed their pots and caps from the stock ones that come on a Nocaster? Is it necessary to do this or have you found improvements in your tone by doing this? What about a treble bleed, any need for this?

Thank you.

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

6105s will feel a bit like railroad tracks as you move up and down the fret board, taller than Gibson med jumbos.. I haven't seen a new Nocaster come with Nocaster Pups installed for a while. My newest has a Twisted Tele set..

I'd check the used market.. They are often heavily discounted, just pay attention to the specs as they change frequently. Music Zoo had models that were similar to WW10s. Daves is always a good place to check.

3. Tele2

Tele2 TDPRI Member

I agree 6105s are quite tall as I have them on a CS Strat but they feel ok to me and I prefer them over standard vintage frets, which is why I was curious on what tall vintage frets feel like in comparison to 6105s. If they land somewhere in between standard vintage and 6105s in feel then that might be what I'd choose.

I am checking the used market but haven't found anything matching exactly what I am after. I know close enough will not be good enough and I will be jonseing for a Nocaster the way I have it in my head eventually. Hopefully something will pop up otherwise, if the price is palatable, I'd go with a special order from the CS.

4. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    The Twisted Tele neck pup will sound more like a Strat pup and the Broadcaster bridge pup will be slightly darker with more hair. I prefer a Broadcaster paired with a Nocaster but YMMV.

I have a Team built CS '52 with a 7.25" neck with medium jumbo frets on a U neck specked at .990 1st and .990 12th with my preferred pups and It's the best Tele that I have ever played. I want my tele to sound like a tele not a strat combination. Just my opinion. Again YMMV :D

5. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tall vintage are 6105's.

6. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

There have been some unhappy customers of FCS guitars down under, mostly dealer related issues iirc. I'd scan these threads to indentify the questionable dealer.

7. Tele2

Tele2 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the comments. I agree that a Tele should sound like a Tele and not a Strat. I am hoping the stock Nocaster pickups will be a good choice in combination with the other elements.

8. Tele2

Tele2 TDPRI Member

So I finally got a response back from the CS for a team built custom order Nocaster, specs pretty much identical to a Wildwood 10 Nocaster except:

- CS Nocaster pups instead of Twisted Tele
    - Closet classic instead of relic finish

Quote came in at just under $4300 and through Music Zoo. My questions are:

- do you think the price is reasonable (on par if benchmarked against the WW10)?
    - anyone have experience with dealing with Music Zoo?
    - was told this will come in a regular tweed rectangular case. Should I ask for the themometer case as well or should I ask for a modern molded case (I foresee this guitar may get shipped overseas one of these days when I relocate).

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For that price, I'd look at a Ron Kirn custom...

10. Tele2

Tele2 TDPRI Member

Maybe I'm just buying into the name but I just want a Fender .... just because.

Poking around eBay and what not. Even used nocasters are not going cheaply or not much cheaper than what I was quoted and none with exactly the same specs (electronics I could care less, as I can upgrade easily enough but I can't with wood). Happy to be proven wrong if I've missed something somewhere.

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

To me the center pocket tweed rectangular case is the best for a Fender.
    That's what my Dave's Guitar '52 Relic Tele (Nocaster specs w/9.5" radius) has.

[​IMG]

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Can't fault you for wanting your new Fender to be a Fender...

13. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

The right nocaster is a lifetime keeper so if it's got the exact specs you want, go for it. You'll be paying a bit more for a custom built instrument

14. Redline Redneck

Redline Redneck Tele-Meister

I have an '07 Nocaster with CS Nocaster pickups. That guitar will never leave me. It's my #1.

I also have a CS Tele with Twisted Tele pickup set. The difference is notable. The neck pickup is quite novel. In fact, I almost use this one exclusively in the neck position. Full disclosure: it's always tuned in open G. Great resonance. This one also has 6105 fretwire. It took about 2 months to get used to it, but now I don't even notice them.

Both are great. I need them both, but can't live without the Nocaster set.

15. Tele2

Tele2 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. Sight problem (but a nice one to have) - I'll be in Tokyo in a couple of months so I think I may sit tight on placing an order until I do the rounds at the music stores there which by all accounts are incredible. That will also happen post winter NAMM '16 so I should have a good sense of the lay of the land and whether a special order is required.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.