Nocaster pups

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Amon, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Amon

Amon Tele-Meister

Hey y'all telephiliacs,

I have been noticing that a lot of custom shop fenders seem to be loaded with 51 nocasters.

I was wondering what y'all think about that.

Also those who would rather go with other FENDER pups, what would that be?

Also one more question for the road,
    are all Fender Nocasters available as replacement parts equal, or are there variations, "quality" difference, bad years, etc?

Went around a few shops but couldn't find anything with Nocasters inside.
    I'm sure I will if I target the 8000USD teles but the staff isn't really keen on letting you grope them much.

2. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

I've had a Roadworn Mex tele for ten years and been happy with the overwound Tex Mex pickups but I decided to change to Nocasters after hearing reviews. Yes! A definite improvement - just higher quality, more hi-fi sound and very well balanced between the positions and across the strings. The bridge pickup is not quite as twangy as the Custom Shop '52 but not quite as dark as a Broadcaster. Very usable high quality 50's style sound. But what is the 50's sound? My other tele has the '52s and is very bright and twangy but full. The Nocasters though are very smooth, like a played in or aged design - I really like them.

Amon and moosie like this.
  3. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Hi @Corvus. We need to know...

- What guitar you would put the pickups in
    - What kind of tone you want
    - What kind of music you play

The answers to those questions may or may not point to a '51 Nocaster set.

Amon likes this.
  4. Amon

Amon Tele-Meister

nice thx!
    I was also wondering about the difference between the originals and the RI.

5. Amon

Amon Tele-Meister

Hi :)

My Momose I think. Solid body, Ash/Mahogany laminate, maple neck, definitely the most "expensive" body I own, but the Momose default single coils are way too clean, which is typical to Japanese high-end, I hear.

Considering how good the build is I'd like to make it as sweet as I can.
    Music genre, right now I'm working on blues basics, but I like classic tele sounds, I just want to try and see how far I can take it I guess.
    I'd put texmex in that guitar but I already have a fender with those, and I'd like to do a Fender Phase before I consider other brands, or I'll just end up confused and broken lol

6. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

Recently bought some Nocasters but haven’t installed them yet. Also saw some PV64s for sale so bought them as well. Looking forward to hearing them both.

beyer160 likes this.
  7. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Not sure they are all created equal. I had a 51 CS Nocaster and a partscaster with CS Nocaster pickups. I noticed the pole pieces are black on the custom shop guitar and that they are actually called "loaded Nocaster" pickups.

To my ear they were better, but then again that was a Custom Shop guitar so who knows.

But just something to be aware of that the Nocasters pickups in a CS guitar are not exactly the same as the ones you buy that are labeled Custom Shop Nocaster.

8. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

I put a set in a Tele style Agile and they were a vast improvement over the stock Korean imports it came with.
    Sold the Agile and bought a Fender American Special that came stock with Custom Shop Texas Specials. Never one to leave well enough alone I put a new set of Custom Shop Nocaster '51s in it. Meh...different but not much of an improvement. Maybe the '51s are bit smoother?
    I suppose it depends on your personal taste, style of play, and the type music you play. For '50s and '60s rock I'd go with the '51s. Country, Bluegrass, Honky Tonk, try the CS Texas Specials.

9. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

As stated in above post, the ones offered in custom shop guitars are different than the ones sold in stores. I have had both. The custom shop ones are fabulous. Jangly when clean and bark like a mad dog when driven. The "regular ones" are good too. Just not quiet the same.

10. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

The Nocaster set I've put in my ash bodied Roadworn - nice and smooth and a very useable neck pu too. I put the '52 set out of a AVRI tele in my alder-bodied Roadworn. Both nice guitars with big necks and I'm not sure how much the whole wood thing makes a difference. But the Nocasters, to me, seem like what I'd think of as a vintage sound with a bit of a growl while the '52's are bright, twangy typical country and maybe what a 50's tele was like new? Both sets are high quality and I kind of think if anyone knows what a tele pickup should sound like, it would be Fender.

11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Are you saying that the ones you can buy called "custom shop nocasters" are different from nocasters from the custom shop?

Not only confusing, but seems misleading by fender, if true.

12. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Yes. The ones in both custom models i have owned were very different and wound for those guitars. Stated right on the factory traveler sheet. The twisted tele models do the same thing. Different winds for wildwood 10 models and some others.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  13. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

From what I understand there are « handwound » versions of the different CS pickups.
    In many custom shop guitars though, the pickups listed are the regular CS version (« machine wound » I guess).
    When you look at the CS catalogue, both versions are listed as possible options for a masterbuilt order.

14. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Custom custom shop? So what’s the other option? :eek:

15. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

It seems some folks think hand wound gives one some bragging rights or whatever, like the holy grail of pickups. Just as the hype of "who" supposedly "made" them (I won't go there now)

So as with a ton of things tone, it's subjective, and what you pay, can't taint what you REALLY hear. More money sounds better right ?

If you have two of the "same" pickup models, one machine, one hand..............sound different ?.........O.K. sure.

In a TRUE, BLIND A/B test, for whatever reason a person says ONE is "better" than the other don't mean jack. Really they should have TWO different names if they are not constructed IDENTICALLY. But then a mfc. couldn't charge more coin because they have hype and mojo going for 'em.

I always say, YOUR GEETAR, YOUR EARS, anything else is just shop talk.

CS Nocasters are fantastic pups though as far as what Fender offers.

.02 and such as

Happy pickin'

16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I have a set of both, as well. My only Tele at the moment is a '60s Classic MIM- I know I "should" put the '64s in it, but I had a set of Nocasters in a CV '60s Custom once, and they sounded fantastic. First world problems.

Southpole likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.