1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nocaster Neck Pickup Defective?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mwittoesch, Aug 19, 2009.

1. mwittoesch

mwittoesch TDPRI Member

Fellow tele modders and builders

I just put a brand new set on Nocaster pickups in my newly built partscaster. The original pickups were not to my taste. I am using a pre-wired Callaham 3-way control plate.

There are no visible shorts and the wiring appears to be just as per the wiring diagram, however the neck pick up sounds very thin. Further, when rolling off the tone, the volume also is cut.

My question is this: Could this be a symptom of the a bad pickup, or is more like a "hidden" wiring issue. Help.........

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Sounds like the two pickups might be out of phase. Are they both Fender pickups? Seymour Duncan and fender pickups are not wired the same and will have phase issues if you don't reverse one of them.

You said Nocaster set so I'll assume they're both of the same brand. Still phasing issues happen sometimes right from the factory.

3. mwittoesch

mwittoesch TDPRI Member

Thanks Telenator. The pickups are genuine, out-of-the-box new 51 Custom Shop Nocaster Pickups. I understand the phase issue, but would that affect just the neck pickup by itself?

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Hmmmmmm, ya got me there.

5. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

You could try adjusting the height of the neck. Sounds like it would have to be way off from your description though. A cold solder connection either at the hot or the ground is also a definite maybe. :)

6. Superc_1

Superc_1 Tele-Meister

I just got a bad neck pickup in a brand new nocaster set myself. They replaced the pickup and everything is good now. Send it back. Must of had a bad run on some?

7. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I would disconnect both pickups and check them with a VOM for readings..then inspect all of your wiring carefully...in other words, start over.

8. mwittoesch

mwittoesch TDPRI Member

Thanks all.

I did start over. Perfect wiring, no cold solder joints or shorts... and.... same problem. I then installed an old Fender American Standard pickup I had laying around. No problems. Therefore I have to deduce that problem is the that the pickup is defective.

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What was the neck pickups ohms ?

10. mwittoesch

mwittoesch TDPRI Member

I finally got a chance to test it with a multimeter. Even I got some sound out of it, it registered a big 0. Case closed - out-of-box failure!

R

11. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Happens a lot on New Fender Pickups....usually needs the solder reflowed at the eyelet...but that shouldn't be something you should have to do...It should have been good out of the box....Do you see any breaks in the coil wires coming off the wind ?

12. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

?? zero implies a short... shouldn't make any sound whatsoever??

13. mwittoesch

mwittoesch TDPRI Member

I know. I checked with two different VOM's and got 0..........but still made a bit of a sound when installed. Go figure. The good news is that Fender is sending a replacement.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.