Nocaster-like neck on a Mustang

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by FrostyMorn, Sep 21, 2020.

1. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

I'm thinking about bringing the neck ergonomics of my Fender American Special Mustang into line with my '51 Nocaster reissue. My thought is to replace the neck with a 24" scale Warmoth Boatneck 9.5" radius 1 11/16" nut and 6105 or 6150 frets, I'm not sure which are closer to the Nocaster. I would consider 7.25" radius but don't want to deal with bridge issues. Has anyone done anything similar and care so share their experience?

(Mods: please feel free to move this if I've posted in the wrong forum)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  2. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Measure the distance. You might be able to fit a one piece bridge where the tailpiece is. Of course remove the bridge because it's not the right intonation for a 25.5" scale neck.

Other than that, you might have problems because square end necks are not 100% compatible with round bottom bodies. Sometimes they do fit though. If you don't have the neck yet, make sure it's not drilled. If it's not, you can drill the holes and make it fit.

3. FrostyMorn

FrostyMorn TDPRI Member

Apologies, I'd like to keep the scale, so it would be a Warmoth Mustang neck. I've updated the post.

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I have a 1965 Mustang with a B neck and winky little frets that's just too skinny for me now that I'm a geezer; it causes hand cramps if I play it for more than 30 minutes or so.

I had considered removing the original neck and just replacing it with a Warmoth, but that seemed like sacrilege to the monkey part of my guitar-player brain...which is the biggest portion anyway.

So I built up a modern Mustang body and paired it with a Warmoth '59 carve neck with stainless steel 6100 frets. It's just so nice to play. The shorter scale works really well with 11s.

[​IMG]

Frito-Man, zippofan and FrostyMorn like this.
  5. branbolio

branbolio Tele-Meister

I have a hard tail mustang build with a USACG neck that’s a soft v to c. Based on Danocasters 50s tele shape, it’s about .88-.98, 9.5 radius, 24” scale, ss med frets, all maple but w roasted fretboard. It’s great!

not neck heavy and the whole guitar weighs 4.5 lbs even. I used gotoh stealth tuners. I use 9s with a 10 on the high e

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.