Nocaster Disappointment

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Aaron1061, Jun 13, 2018.

1. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Interesting...I would not characterize the Nocasters that I put in my American Deluxe Telecaster as "ice", "thin", or in any way overly bright. They are far more meaty sounding but with additional clarity and top end than the N3s that were in it. More dynamic... As others said, check pickup height. Also, what cap value are you running? Mine is a .047 and 250k pots.

Aaron1061 likes this.
  2. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

250k pots and whatever cap comes stock in american standard teles. plus the no load tone pot which i think is the culprit.

3. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Hello,
    Nocasters on a maxed no load tone pot can get zingy like any other tele bridge pickup.

I concur with the other suggestions. Roll down the no load tone pot just a smidge.

Another way I get more beef and smoothness outta my nocaster bridge pickup is rolling down both volume and tone a bit, then compensating for the slight volume drop by slightly increasing amp volume.

bendercaster likes this.
  4. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Could well be. I wound up removing the no-load and the rest of the S-1 switching that came in my Tele and stuck it all in a ziplock bag in the case. A more traditional setup sounded better to me (which is not what I expected!).

5. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

Update!

Ran home on lunch and lowered the bridge, raised the neck, and rolled down the tone past the notch and it's much better.

Thank you guys so much. Love this forum.

bendercaster likes this.
  6. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

1528909089929.jpg

Here she is btw!

A.B.Negative likes this.
  7. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

I was a little on the fence with mine at first too. But with the volume rolled off a little, I get a nice, well-balanced grunt that sounds pretty close to the dynasonic bridge pickup in my Gretsch. Then, if I need a little boost for a solo or am using my bare fingers to play double stops or do faux steel bends, I can roll it back up.

The only other Tele bridge pickup that I've liked more is the Cavalier Fat Lion my band mate had in his Tele. But even that sounded best to me with the tone or volume rolled back just a hair.

8. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Someone here once said that their favorite tone control is the volume knob. I'm in that camp too. High amp volume and 8 or 9 on the volume knob gives me a nice mid focused tone that sits really well in a mix.

rogb and Aaron1061 like this.
  9. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

I typically like a brighter tone. What messed me up was the no load lol. Once I raised the neck pickup treble side a bit to compensate, i was good! They're both in their sweet spots past the no load notch and the middle position might be my new favorite. Can't wait to gig with it.

10. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

The whole reason Fenders usually have 250k pots is because they have too much resonance to begin with. A no-load in a Strat or Tele is akin to ignoring good advice and then specifically doing the opposite.

Derek Kiernan likes this.
  11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

All depends on the pickup choices and the player. I really enjoy 500k volume pots, and the no load tone pots; sometimes I play the no-load wide open, especially with the neck pickup and/or when playing down near the nut. Other times, perhaps with the bridge pickup and/or playing higher on the neck, I roll it back slightly. I love the no-load tone pot as it gives a wider range of tonal response from the guitar.

12. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Of course it's all preference. Having said that, there's a reason Fender defaults to 250k.

13. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

there are nocasters and then there are NOCASTERS. "sounds" like you got the former. what's the difference? for a vintage fender bridge bobbin, it's all about the coil wire gauge and its turn count.

LAGinz and Henfield Tele like this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If you always play with your treble and tone dimed, you've got nowhere to go.

You're lucky with the OVs, they're a very balanced output. The Nocaster the bridge is a lot hotter than the neck - so yes, no load it's gonna be bright, bright, bright

15. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

I've got it sounding GREAT, theyre perfect rhythm pickups.

I primarily play lead so i ordered a porter 9t for the bridge position for thicker stuff in the higher registers. Gonna leave the nocaster neck in as its too pretty sounding to take out.

16. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

remember that a nocaster is the original one-and-only first fender guitar bridge pickup. and its very first name was ... esquire ... and it came with 1 or 2 pickups. later in the late fall of that year ('50) leo kept the single pickup esquire name but changed the 2 pickup guitar's name to "broadcaster", which within a month or so prompted the gretsch drums "broadKaster" cease and desist lawsuit. so in very early '51 leo renamed the broadcaster guitar to nothing, and hastily ripped off existing "broadcaster" labels and built guitars with no model name other than "Fender". in the spring of that year, '51, fender manager don randall came up with the telecaster name, and that's all she wrote from then to today.

the moral of this story is two fold. the esquire, broadcaster, nocaster, tele - all of 'em up to the summer or fall of '51 used the same bridge pickup design and build. what never happened in those early 1950's was to standardize pickup spex. so while they all used 43awg coil wire and a3 rod magnets, the coil wire turn counts and winding tension was very, er, ah, ahem, "diverse". a '50 broadcaster could have 5500 turns or 9500 turns - or more, or less. the 43awg coil wire turn counts on a vintage bridge bobbin roughly equates to its measured dcr value. think about that. then think about what it means to jones for a 50's type fender bridge pickup. :eek::confused::D:lol:

rze99, RoyBGood and LutherBurger like this.
  17. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

This was not my experience, OP.

Big and fat crunch with a nice low string twang but not too bell like. More Keith Richards than Don Rich. It had twang, but more beefy twang not that bell like clang and clear sharpness.

Maybe you got a dud bridge pickup.

I personally hated the OVs. I like overwound Blackguard early Broadcaster/Nocaster tones before the Telecaster started More Keith Richards than Don Rich. When I play country, it's more of the rocked up newer stuff. I like a nice big crunchy tone.

The Nocasters for me were warmer, fatter, still had twang but beefy twang, not bell like and sharp. I hate that Bakersfield sound, and that's what the OV's reminded me of.

rze99 likes this.
  18. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

Very true. Me, I like a higher output pickup. More classic rock than bakersfield twang. It still twangs but it's beefier and sounds fat. More of the Broadcasters that got the extra windage (for lack of a better word). :D

19. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

I've wanted to like these and the Duncan Broadcaster, but I always find them too bright and a tad shrill and thin. I much prefer the oddly spec'd Duncan Antiquity flat pole set.

Mincer and Aaron1061 like this.
  20. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I tend to go for flat poles if there is a choice with that particular model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.