1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nocaster blond colour differences?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by cc9cii, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

I've looking at online stores for a nocaster NOS - but there are several different descriptions: nocaster blond (899), vintage blond (807) and honey blond (867)

Are they the same or are some of them FSR (special order) colours?

Is honey blonde the "normal" NOS colour?

2. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

(899) is the Blonde The Fender site lists for the Relic...and I'm fairly sure Honey Blonde is for the NOS...don't know about the (807) sorry

3. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

The NOS I had was sort of yellowish/cream. No orange at all.
    The relic's seem to have more tan or maybe faux-nicotine.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My 2006 NOS, and every one I've seen in the basic family color, is 899 No-caster blonde.

The CS 1952 Tele is another blonde - and there's many more. Not long ago here, Mr. Mike Eldred posted that the NOS and the Relic have the same finish; there's just a lot more of it on the NOS version. And variation in this blonde is due to amount of finish, not the mix color.

5. dobrodoc

dobrodoc Tele-Holic

Buy it, put it in a room with 100 lit cigarettes, and it'll be the proper color. Might be a little sticky, though...:)

6. cc9cii

cc9cii Friend of Leo's

Thanks guys. I'm wondering if honey blonde and nocaster blonde have significant differences... Perhaps I'm too picky about possibly irrelevant details (my wife thinks that the colour differences won't matter a bit :oops::lol:)

7. Tremolux

Tremolux Tele-Meister

I cannot look for the original thread at the moment but I am 100% sure Mike Eldred said the NOS finish was SLIGHTLY thicker (emphasis was his) to prevent burn-thrus while polishing.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You're absolutely right, I apologize.

I was "reading between the lines" based on my own observations but he did SAY slight, that's true.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

The original color of the Nocaster, or any of the guitars of that era was a moving target.

The finishes back then, most notably, nitrocellulose lacquer, almost immediately after application, began shifting in color due to the UV light present, as well as other pollutants. Remember in the 1950s, there were virtually NO controls on what kind of “cack” was being “pumped” into the atmosphere.

Since Leo was using finishing products from various suppliers, their respective lacquers would turn differing shades of amber, orange, green, brown, about any shade on the “warmer” end of the color spectrum.

Sooooo… If you got one, even a modern repro, the color you got matches at least one from that era, there is no wrong shade.

Ron Kirn

10. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The latter should be printed in stone! :cool: (Or is it chiseled?)

11. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Too many blodes LOL!

12. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Simple: buy one of each. Which ever one you don't like sell to me at a huge discount.

13. Rick W

Rick W Tele-Meister

I think HBL has changed some over the years. Recently, I bought a 1993 Custom Shop '52 reissue. It didn't have a certificate with it. To make sure it was authentic I contacted a friend of mine who works at Fender and he sent me the following from the book at Fender:
    Serial Part # Description
    VO64739 0105222867 '52 TELE LEFT HAND CST HBL
    Here's what color it is....
    [​IMG]

Here's Custom Shop 2008 that has a factory designation of HBL
    [​IMG]

Quite a difference. I like both!

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

the only problem with pics is that they will look different depending on the background, camera, lighting, etc; But that does look really yellow.

15. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There is no official 'honey blonde'. Fender used two colours over the years:

Blonde, which started like the colour on this page but varied all over the shop. Somewhere someone's posted a picture of the Rev Billy Gibbons and all his Broad-No-Telecaster blackguards and there's everything from white- pumkin-avocado.

The other colour as seen on whiteguards is 'Blond', a limed white finish. It was shot over with nitro, which yellowed, but this Blond with no E will be lighter than just about any Blackguard. These guitars would have started out like a 50's Classic MIM except with a white neck to match.

People confuse Blonde with Natural, which was a finish option very early on in Teles. That is what many people term 'butterscotch' because it is warm and yellowish due to the ash grain from new.

Many Japanese reissues came/come in this, which is confusing. But that isn't blonde. Neither is a solid yellowed white finish (no grain visible).

I wouldn't trust any picture you see to compare, not paper but especially not digitised, as every step in reproducing and displaying has changed tone, hue and saturation.

16. sdd28772

sdd28772 Tele-Meister

Here is a pic of my NOS NoCaster 1 year young she's a light blonde. I expect her to get yellower as the years go by.

Attached Files:

17. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

The NOS may have "...a lot more..." but mine was still minimal I'd say, from the way the lacquer was authenically sinking into the grain of the wood. A nice effect.

18. Tremolux

Tremolux Tele-Meister

Steve, see my post (#7, above) in which I recall Mike Eldred saying it's NOT a lot more finish on NOS guitars, but just SLIGHTLY more to avoid burn-thru.

Sorry to be so insistent on this point, but we all know how certain things will catch fire on the Internet.

19. SteveY

SteveY Tele-Afflicted

I should have quoted you, instead of boris bubbanov.

I like everything about the CS '51 Nocasters except the bill.

No regrets though. They are a guitar I can understand.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.