Nocaster 51 with lightweight wood ?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by guspin, Dec 15, 2017.

1. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Hi!
    What do you think about this kind of wood for a Nocaster?
    Worth it over Base model?
    Thanks

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It will be the same ash wood but they weigh each body and put the lightest ones to the side for people who want to pay for a light-weight guitar. If I was special ordering a Nocaster I would pay the extra money for a light one.

guspin likes this.
  3. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply
    It can affect the tone?

4. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good question and many people have different opinions. Today most guitarists like the light weight and think that it makes the guitar more "resonant'. Back in the 1970s, guitar players thought that the heavier guitars had more "sustain" like Les Pauls. As for tone- In my opinion, many other factors determine tone before the weight of the body wood.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think there are resonant guitar bodies, and there are light guitar bodies. Sometimes they are the same, but not always.

I like 'em light, but there's no way in heck that I can even begin to hear the difference. I like the way they feel, is all. The good ones vibrate against my chest when I play.

If you have your heart set on a CS, then by all means. But you might want to take a look at the post-2012 AV 52s. These have very nearly the same specs (as in almost exactly), and all the recent AVs I've touched have been light weight. Not feather weight, but for example my AV58 is 6.7 lbs, and my AV64 (alder, bit heavier) is 7.0 lbs.

The AV52 has a large neck, and Fender has really knocked it out of the park with all these new AVs, in my opinion. Not only that, but you'll save a small fortune.

nojazzhere, yardleyboy and guspin like this.
  6. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Yea, I agree with you
    Thanks

yardleyboy likes this.
  7. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply.
    Seen to be that the AV 52 new edition is a killer guitar!

8. moosie

I might take some heat here, but I think the new AVs are very much on par with Custom Shop. I own some of each, and I still like my CS, but I just don't see any meaningful differences, unless of course you want a relic finish. The finish is what takes these AVs over the top, IMO. Super thin nitro, the best Fender has done, I think.

guspin likes this.
  9. Falconbill

Falconbill Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Depends what you mean by lightweight. Most of the newer CS Telly's are around 7.5 and you can find them under 7. That's pretty lightweight in my experience. IMHO, the weight has little to do with the tone.

nojazzhere and guspin like this.
  10. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

When you start to build you can chose if you want: SORT FOR LIGHT WEIGHT BODY Wood

11. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

Bass wood is light weight and fairly soft but is considered a hard wood. I built a Tele body from bass wood years ago and it worked really well. I could not tell any difference in sound with it and other Tele's.

12. moosie

I guess I'd ask them what THEY mean by light. I agree, most CSs are fairly light already. And as I said, many of the AVs are light. Would you be paying extra for a guarantee, or for less weight? I suspect it's the former.

guspin likes this.
  13. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

14. moosie

Your point? 6.9 is what I'd call pretty light, not featherweight. It's just fine. But did they pay extra for lightweight? Or are they all tending to this weight... see?

As I mentioned earlier, my AV58 is lighter than this. (and I could have bought literally FOUR of them for this price, based on what I paid new.)

My CS 52 Wildwood 10 (now sold) weighed about 7.25 lbs.

Everyone's taste and budget differs. I don't mean to burst your dreams, but I didn't find my WW to be anything special. I sold it and kept the two AVs, NOT because of the money. Because they are the better guitars. I think the WWs are fine guitars that are WAAY over hyped and priced. The AVs I own, and those I have played, are better than fine. At any price.

Money doesn't seem to be a major factor here, and that's OK. I do want to point out though, that you should be able to get a near-mint used Nocaster for around $2500, anytime. And that value will hold. If you pay nearly $5k for one... it'll also be worth about $2500, as soon as you receive it. The only Fenders that seem to hold around $4k+ in value is the masterbuilts.

15. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply!
    you are very clear.
    The standard price if i order a Nocaster CS base model seem to be $3400 what do you think?

16. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

And have you changed the pickups in your AV52? or are you decided to keep them?

17. moosie

I'd negotiate that a bit. I'd start around $2800 and try to meet halfway.

I never owned an AV52. Mine was a WW CS52, now sold. My AV64 is all stock, pickups are fantastic. And the AV58, yes, I changed the pickups to Stuart Blackguards (a sweet, clear A3 set), but kept the originals, too. I like the Stuarts better, but really the stock pickups are fine. Sometimes you just need to tweak something. I wanted to try new pickups in ... something, and the 58 was it. I'm working on a new build, alder body, solid rosewood neck, and I'll probably put the AV58 pickups in there.

18. guspin

guspin TDPRI Member

Thanks for your reply! It is good idea try to negotiate the price, I will do that!
    At the moment I send a Nocaster Build Base order
    I will let you know!

19. moosie

Good luck!

guspin likes this.
  20. matte

matte TDPRI Member

this is the lightest nocaster i’ve found. sounds/feels incredible.

Attached Files:

tce63 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.