Nocaster 51 neck relic

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by bastonge, May 14, 2021.

1. bastonge

bastonge TDPRI Member

Hi guys!
    Im on the hunt for a nice tele, and this one got my attention.

Wanted to know your opinions about this neck. I had just a few CS before, and never saw a relic job like this one on the neck, at least stock.

The owner already told me that the body had a refinish, but it does not know anything about the neck and according to my experience, i've never seen a relic like this done by Fender.

Whats your opinions?

Many thanks

upload_2021-5-14_9-52-7.png

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

My opinion is that it doesn't look good in the lower register. It's like blobs of wear as opposed to ovular patterns between the strings. It would bug me. Also, if the body was refinished, by somebody other than the Fender Customer Shop, it seems like it would hugely detract from the value. Is it a good deal?

Fretting out and nojazzhere like this.
  3. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Looks like crap - move on

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

While I understand a lot of people would be repulsed by that, I'd have to try it first, and see how it feels. I've gotten spoiled in recent years by my Warmoth "fat" necks, so if your "relic-ed" example doesn't measure up to those, I'll automatically reject it. On the other hand....if it "feels" good, I won't care what it looks like.
    Price also enters into the equation....I won't pay a lot for anything JUST because it's a certain vintage or "Custom Shop". ;)

5. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Don't take for granted a guitar is a custom shop just because it has a C.O.A i have seen those things sold in the past
    if you are considering buying it send that serial number to fender and ask what colour and specs belong to that C.O.A

Buckaroo, Fretting out and nobis17 like this.
  6. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I neither like nor think that’s CS relicing on the finger board. Be very cautious

7. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

That looks fake as hell. Stay away!

8. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

+1, I've never seen one look that bad. I don't care for the "super heavy relics", I don't mind the mild relicing.
    But with the body already refinished, the neck looks terrible...I suspect it a fake.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  9. sotob

sotob Tele-Holic

Looks like the same wear pattern on the first version of Road Worn Tele's on the neck and whoever just stuck a new different/logo on the head stock.

I would pass.

posttoastie likes this.
  10. 51Blackguard

51Blackguard TDPRI Member

I can't say its definitely a CS Nocaster neck....however, in the 2007-2008 time period, I recall seeing quite a few "super" relics at a music store I dealt with.
    They looked like they were beat to hell, but man did they feel wonderful. The dealer had ordered them with big fat 1" necks, 9.5" radius and jumbo frets.
    If you can somehow verify that its an authentic neck, I'd jump on it. Keep in mind...COA or not, any CS guitar that's parted out is worth no more than any other "partscaster"

11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Custom Shop Heavy Relic that looks real
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.