NOBYHGD!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by LGOberean, May 24, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My Dad's Harmony archtop was strung with Black Diamond steel strings for guitar, set #754. The set came in a cardboard box with each string in its own paper sleeve, but you could also buy the strings individually. There wan't a guitar store in the small Texas town I lived in, but you could buy Black Diamond strings at the local five and dime. I don't know exactly what gauge the strings were, but they had to be at least mediums (13s or better). I didn't know for the first several months that the floating bridge was adjustable, so I played those fat strings at a mile high action. I practiced every day in the summer until my fingers bled.

And like you, I just wanted to play songs. I just flailed away on my own with hamfistedness, brute strength and awkwardness. I didn't take lessons, never studied theory. I still can't read music. Every now and again, someone will ask me if I teach guitar lessons. I always reply, "No, you need an instructor that knows what he's doing."

Macrogats and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  2. LGOberean

I wasn't going to use this video, since it was just a goofing around/one take kind of deal, and I wasn't the real star of the video anyway. Our dog Bella was being cute and my wife wanted to capture it on video. My playing in the background was just incidental to the proposition. This is the only video of it thus far, but I guess it'll do for now. I'll do better.

We were camping in our trailer at Table Rock State Park in South Carolina. It was a week ago today, the evening of May 20th and starting to rain. Bella was being so darn cute, and I just happened to be in the background playing “Blue Moon” on my 1953 Harmony H954 Broadway archtop guitar. The strings on the guitar are D'Addario mediums, I think the EJ12 set.

3. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Beautiful. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Love it! Congratulations!

LGOberean likes this.
  4. LGOberean

Thanks so much!

5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Groovy! Though I wonder if that F-53 might be a model designation? I have an H-53 "Roy Smeck" that looks to be pretty much identical to yours, except it has a pickup -- a very sweet Gibson-made P-13 -- and control knobs. Binding is different, too. Sounds great & looks great, whatever it may be.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Gee, nice, Larry G!

LGOberean likes this.
  7. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Just seen this, and WOW. What a nice classic guitar. I’d love to get my hands on something like this. Happy belated birth year Guitar day Larry.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. LGOberean

Mine is a Broadway, as the headstock indicates. And the model numbers used for the Harmony Broadways were H-961, H-955 and H-954. The H-961 was quite possibly the earliest version of the Broadway. It was larger, called "Extra" Auditorium size. (I haven't found what dimensions are meant by that designation.) The H-955 version was produced basically during the war years (more specifically, from 1940-1945). It was an Auditorium size. The H-954 had a production run of at least 1947-1971, and was also an Auditorium size (15-3/4" X 40-3/4").

Mine is definitely an H-954. The stamped info inside the guitar is faded due to age, but the serial/model #'s visible through the f-hole on the bass side is still pretty legible, and after the 4-digit serial number is followed by the model # "H-954." Looking through the f-hole on the treble side, it's faint, but three sets of eyes besides mine have said it's "F-53." According to various claims, the "F" either signifies "Fall" or "First," meaning either first half of the production year or, less likely, first shift. The "53" is the year of manufacture.

[​IMG]

Now, about that Roy Smeck of yours...I wouldn't be averse to seeing some pics. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.