1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Nobody wants to buy my Bandmaster...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by sbpark, Apr 8, 2014.

1. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I decided to sell my '68 drip-edge Bandmaster, AB763 Blackface circuit, no mods/original spec, recently re-capped, 3-prong cord replaced, and service done by a very reutable tech who is also known for his boutique amp builds. I also re-coned the two C12na speakers through Orange County Speaker, who apparently are one of the best in the country. The 2x12 cabinet is the older style, smaller-box, not the giant, cumbersome later style cabinet. Also replaced the grill cloth and everything else is original; tolex, tilt-back legs, etc., and put it up for sale locally for $975.

Funny thing is, nobody wants it! Seems like nobody wants these bigger wattage Fenders these days. I even mentioned that I'd also consider a trade for a silverface Princeton or Deluxe, and would even consider a PRRI and DRRI and some cash, but no takers still!

I feel like my price is fair given the work that has been done to it, it's condition, etc.

So what do you guys think? Am I asking way to much for this amp (head and cabinet together), or is this just a bad time to try and sell an amp like this due to smaller wattage amps being all the rage these days?

I'm considering just covering up the thing and putting it away in the garage and forgetting about it, and maybe one day it will be more desirable and would be easier to sell down the line.

If you're wondering, I decided to sell the Bandmaster because I also have a BMRI LTD that I like a lot, and just prefer that amp overall over the Bandmaster. The Bandmaster sounds great, but it has to be turned up pretty loud before it starts to open up and sound good. The Bandmaster and BMRI LTD are obviously two totally different sounds, but the BMRI LTD just sounds good at low volumes as well, making it more versatile for my needs, since I can't always (rarely) crank my amps.

(This is not an attempt to sell the amp through this thread, just trying to initiate a discussion and get feedback, determine the amps worth, etc. Thanks!)

2. TimWaldvogel

TimWaldvogel TDPRI Member

I personally think that is very high.
    You may have put some investments into the amp, but that simply keeps it's value at what it should be, rather than raising it.
    The speakers cones don't change the value much, and the cap job is something that would be considered routine maintenance for an amp of this age.

I would set it at a negotiable 900$ and hope to get closer to 800$

It's not about me; but about serving everybody else around me, and Loving them as God loves me.

3. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I agree with you to a point, but I didnt think that my asking price whas THAT far fetched, given that most people will try to drive it down and you will have to negotiate. If I set the asking price at $800, potential buyers will only try to get it for less than the asking price. I set th eprice high, but not that unreasonably high, but who knows!

4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not sure about Denver in particular, but in my area the local classifieds are for deals... always in the favor of the buyer. Fair price is often ignored. eBay (although I hate selling there with a passion) is often the best place to maximize your return. Although with a cabinet - shipping can become an issue.

I certainly agree with "TimWaldvogel"... Set the price a little lower, and make it "negotiable". He didn't say "lower it to $800"... He said lower it to $900 but make it negotiable - hoping for $800.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Well... it is a little high... but you are in Colorado... :D

I paid $450 for my 68 Dual Showman Reverb with a 67 2x12 Bandmaster cabinet with 2x12 JBL D120f speakers and another $400 for a 2x15 Showman cabinet with 2x15 D130f speakers. That was in the Phoenix area probably 8 or 9 years ago before the economy tanked. It hasn't been out of the house since I sold the van... :eek:

The Separate cab and head amps that were the rage in the 60's and 70's are a hard sell now and mostly of interest to collectors. Yes some people gig them but I don't know anyone that does. I gig with a 74 Princeton Reverb.

6. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Those are great amps but don't bring the price your asking. If I were in the market and saw your amp for $975. I wouldn't contact you and offer you less, I would just keep looking because there are many others available at a lessor price. I get that you're using it as a bargaining price but I personally feel it's too high. $900. and hoping to get 8 or a little more is a great suggestion and more reasonable/realistic IMO.

7. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I agree with the others -that is too high. Those heads should be around $450-500 maybe and the speakers maybe $250-300. $700 is more reasonable if you want to sell it. Having said this the last amp I would sell is my 1968 bandmaster reverb.

8. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

ditto on all the above. are you trying to sell it on craigslist?

try relisting the separate components. someone that wants a bandmaster head doesn't necessarily want a 2x12 and viceversa. if you asked for $600 for the head and $300 for the cab listed separately, you'd be much more likely to get it than waiting for the buyer that wants the whole thing.

the big iron fenders are cheaper than ever right now. and for price ranges like you mentioned, people are looking at more coveted (at the moment) options like deluxes and princetons. you need to price your amp below that so you can get the attention of people wanting to take the blackface leap without shelling out $1000+

more than anything, just be patient... and relist it often. i've had gear sit for months without a bite... it depends on the economy, the weather, whats on tv, etc etc. i had a `67 bassman that sat for 6 months at $650. you just never know. you're waiting for that special bandmaster-lover to stop checking his facebook, watching tv or whatever he's doing and see that you have his dream amp for sale. and of course, high quality pictures are always helpful (hint hint)

9. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

as for the small amp fad dying down... i wouldn't hold my breath. the baby boomers are too old to lift more than a deluxe, kids are more interested in video games than guitars, and almost every venue has a PA that makes the big amps overkill.

i've got a bassman 100 that i love to death... but i constantly get told to turn down to the point that the amp is choking and sounds bad. there's just not much of an outlet for those guys anymore. and while the bassman 100 will always be my favorite amp for cranking up at practice... i've got a little 50 watt bassman and a princeton for shows

10. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I think I will take everyone's advice and re-list it for a little less and/or just list the head and cab seperately. I may also just take out the C12na's and keep them and pop back in the pair od C12n Reissues I have and sell the cabinet for cheap, and then pop one of the C12na's into a DRRI I may end up getting with the money I get from selling the Bandmaster.

Thanks again for the advice!

11. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

On Chicago CL, there's been two late 60's Bandmasters for $1K and $1.3k with the original cabs... For the last few months... They've never dropped the price. But at least 4-5 have come and sold listed in the $400-$600 range for just the head. Right now, there's a '68 with the same features and updates as yours listed for $500, I imagine it will be gone soon.

12. Big tuna

Big tuna Tele-Holic

CL is the worst place to sell and get results for quality equipment and get a fair price unless you just luck out with the right buyer.it took a year to sell a small fender musicmaster amp I had and I was selling a lot less than ebay had them same for an American strat. if its something that people want it may take a while but it will sell. the worst part is all the lowballers and junk trades people email about. good luck !

13. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Here's what I do when I'm selling an amp on CraigsList.

I really clean the amp up - REALLY clean it up - REALLY clean.

I disassemble the amp and scrub the tolex first with Windex to get rid of the grime - work in small patches but get it all - then wipe off with a dry towel. You want to ensure that you remove the handle and the corners and really scrub around these spots really well.

I then use Pledge Revitalizing Oil in a spray bottle - it has orange oil in it - and use an old toothbrush and scrub the entire tolex covering again. Use a clean, dry towel to wipe up after each small section. This will dissolve what the Windex didn't get and lift it from the tolex - leaving behind a nice sheen to the tolex.

Finally - use the Windex again to get rid of the extra oils on the tolex and give it that new tolex look and feel. Trust me - this does a LOT for the look of any amp. Don't leave the tolex oily feeling - get that stuff off of it again - some oil will be left behind and that's the look you are trying to achieve.

I then remove all of the knobs and clean the face plate real nice and pretty - detailing every spot. I soak the knobs in warm soapy water and scrub them with an toothbrush until they are pristine. The feel of the knobs is as important as the look of the amp overall. Make sure the knobs are dry and not oily. Use Deoxit to clean the power switches from the outside to get rid of the schumtz on them. Dry well and don't left an oily film behind. Do not spray Windex in these switches - but you can spray Windex on a paper towel and wipe off the stuff for a totally clean feel.

Ensure that the inner cavity of the amp is vacuumed, the reverb tank cover is pristine, and it looks like you could eat off of the inside of the cabinet. Clean that reverb tank cover with the Windex and orange oil method above. Even scrub the bottom.

I then reassemble the amp carefully ensuring everything lines up just right and the look is perfect - knobs lining up - everything.

I then take 10 detailed photos and talk about how clean the amp is. I will even say that it looks like a closet queen. Get good lighting - maybe even outdoors - so the photos show the work you just did.

All you have to do it get one or two people out to see it and they will pay your price.

If I don't clean an amp this well then I don't get what I want for it. When I get through with them they look better than a new showroom amp - I assure you.

Same with anything - people look for the shiny stuff - and this method will ensure that your amp looks better then the rest.

I am sure that your amp is clean - but this method will add that je ne sais quoi that people drool over when they see it.

And one other thing - don't put in the ad that you spent hours cleaning the amp - just clean it and photograph it. Pitch how good she looks. It will sell itself.

If you don't sell it then it will be ready to put away for a period of time - and - if you cover them amp while in storage you will take out a closet queen the next time you see it.

14. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I would guess 600 dollars for the whole outfit. It will be hard to sell the cabinet at all. Maybe 500. Unless you just find the right buyer with plenty of money and who wants a bandmaster. I had a bandmaster reverb mounted in a 2-12 combo cabinet, nice rig with celestion speakers. Finally sold it for 450 locally.

15. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great advice!

16. steveneddy

steveneddy Tele-Meister

Here's another idea:

Find out what the shipping cost are to other cities.

Also find suitable containers to ship them in so they arrive safely.

Then advertise in CraigsList Austin, Dallas, OK City, Nashville, LA, Seattle and New York.

Maybe it's simply your market - present your wares in another market and you will probably find a buyer.

If I need to sell or purchase something - I live in the Dallas area - if I don't see it in the Dallas CL I look in the Austin CL and usually find it cheaper than I would if the ad were in the Dallas CL.

Good luck.

17. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

I sold my 68 Bandmaster Reverb for 700 over a year ago
    I had paid 450 for it and had to put in a little bench time to get it 100% so......
    again mine was in excellent condition with Very good ++ vintage tubes.

PS that was just the head
    and I'm in the Chicago market 60 miles east of the big city.
    I also sold it to a collector who knew the amp and its capabilities, he had been wanting it for a good long while.

To me the Bandmaster Reverb in 1968 is one of the most underrated amps of its time !

Again I have absolutely no affiliation other than I sell gear there and buy gear there, try listing on www.reverb.com , it has been good to me and the guys there are excellent !

18. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Make a nice 1x12 combo out of it and keep it.

19. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

It's too bad you have the money invested in restoring it. That makes it too precious to mod. This would be easy if it were still a fifty buck amp and not exactly what you wanted.

I researched which vintage Fenders fetch premium prices and that's easy... the answer is "Princeton Reverb" and "Deluxe Reverb". By weight they're half the amp compared to a '68 Bandmaster except one little thing... reverb. The prices are running a little over double Bandmaster prices for a decent SF Deluxe Reverb and "The sky is the limit!" for a Princeton Reverb.

The value is in the amp itself, not in its cumbersome oversized cabinet. I'd save those nice C12N speakers for a Deluxe Reverb or a Princeton Reverb with a custom baffle. Seems a waste to send vintage Jensens down the road for a lowball price. :rolleyes:

A 1x12" combo is a good idea but even better... how 'bout a 2x10"? Bit of history here. The original non- reverb Showman, the non- reverb Bandmaster and the elusive only made for a year or so Concert share the same chassis. You'll find your Bandmaster is even punched for 4x 6L6s just like a Showman. Going back to the Concert... that was essentially a non- reverb Super Reverb in '64. It's a non- reverb Bandmaster chassis in a 4x10" combo cabinet. I'm pretty sure there was a 1x15" Concert but they're exceedingly scarce. Scarce but not uncommon in clone form. Re- packaging the lowly Bandmaster into a combo is a fairly popular activity.

Sure would be handy if it had reverb. I can fix that. :D

20. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'd have to charge $500.00 extra just for doing all that work.:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.