nobody pays attention to the band, so it is said or assumed

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by T Prior, Oct 20, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Well, maybe not everyone but many do.

Here's a few comments we received after a few recent gigs where the patrons were pretty darn calm. All different people, different venues with little to no interaction while playing

-This one as we were loading out really was a surprise.

"man those Dr Z's sound great"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

-This one after playing a few Eagles tunes

I'm not a musician at all , but are those Fender Telecasters ?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-You sound like the guy in Dire Straits, do you listen to him ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Do you guys ever play Strats ?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - How long have you been playing, ? I'll bet a real long time
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love this one

How did you make your guitar sound like a Steel Guitar ?

So I showed him the B Bender !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one is worth it all...

Yesterday afternoon I had an early gig with an Americana/Bluegrass kinda band, a Church Fish Fry. I played Dobro. During our break a lady with a young boy maybe 11 or 12 comes up and asks me what my Instrument is. She told me that both her son and her are loving the sound of it and he asked her what it was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just think its real dangerous to assume that nobody is listening as they may very well be listening but pretending to be talking to their wife or girlfriend or vice versa...! :)

If just a single person gets a rise or is inspired, thats a big win.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

You are the Best Guitar Player I have heard since I gotten out of JAIL!

I took his word for it.

Dan R, Wildcard_35, Jim622 and 7 others like this.
  3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Sometimes you can't tell. One time a husband and wife were watching us.
    The husband was clearly into it and having a good time; the wife looked bored out of her mind. Then on break she wanted to know where we got our arrangements, where I studied music:rolleyes: where we would be playing next.

Sometimes you just can't tell;)

4. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Whether or not people listen depends on the band and the material.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I like to "think" I can tell by someone's face if they're enjoying us, but you don't always know.
    Are they "looking" at the band, even if eyes shift from person to person? Are they tapping their foot?.....tapping their hand on the table?....even dancing in their chair?
    If they appear to be engrossed in their cellphone, I just assume they're texting a friend about the great band they're currently listening to! :)

6. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I played this song the other night and I watched the room. People were singing along, just like the video! Start at 3:30.

7. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

It's the Thermometer vs the Thermostat thing. A thermometer takes the temperature while a Thermostat sets the temperature. When you first start playing live, most of us are thermometers, reacting to what the room is doing. If people aren't into the show, we back down. But what separates good bands from great bands is their ability to turn a room and set the tone. I think that's something you learn to do over time. We're not going to alter the show because you aren't into it. We're going to turn up the heat until we own you and you are!

Wildcard_35, ecoast and Denton like this.
  8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Guy leaving club - you guys weren't loud enough for my liking!

Us - were you here for the last set?

Guy leaving club - huh, didn't hear you?

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say it depends on the individuals in the audience, whether they are going to listen or not.

BB likes this.
  10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yep, you can never tell...

A newbie bass player playing with me at an open mic was worried about a guy in the audience watching him: "I sense his negative vibe, he's thinking 'you suck' and he's just waiting for me to make a mistake."

After our set, the guy comes up and says, "Wow, watching you guys was awesome!" and said he was inspired to play more himself.

11. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I just started playing at a few Open Mics. At the last one there was a guy singing, really well, as someone else played guitar. At the end I complemented him on his singing. He said I did great. I told him he did also. With fear in his eyes he said He could not sing and play guitar. I think I must sound somewhat better than I think.

12. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

I think we sometimes forget that we’re not playing in front of an audience of other musicians. I’ve had people come up to me after some of the crappiest (so I’ve thought) gigs I’ve ever played and tell me “Dude, you f**kin shred, bro!”

13. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

After 47 years of steady gigging I can say that you Never know who's in the crowd and who's listening and watching. I have had agents,celebrities,club owners,and all types of folks approach the band. Sometimes on a slow tuesday gig in nowhere land. That's why I always do my best.

14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I never get out of a show unscathed.... somebody is always paying attention.
    Then again, I'm a multi-instrumentalist which opens the door to a lot of conversations.

The pedal steel gets most of the attention, many people are curious about my Variax and how I get the sounds out of it, and my Bass VI (a guitar a full octave lower) seems to attract women... it's the Barry White of guitars :D

15. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

For many years there was a serous swing band in the area where everyone played period correct instruments, and wore vintage clothing.
    I subbed in one time and at break got this..
    “ you guys are good, you would be better if you got an electric bass and played some Buddy Rich tunes.”

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

"Barry White of guitars......." Man!....I gotta get me one of those! ;)

codamedia likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.