NOBCD!

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Rich_S, May 12, 2016.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That's "new open-back cabinet day" to you.

In the beginning, there was the Lopoline 1-12" cabinet:

[​IMG]

It was a spiffy-looking little thing, just the right size to go with my Muchxs blackface Champ clone, built into an old Univox SS amp chassis. So, I covered Muchxs' reclaimed pine dovetailed box with matching green Tolex (which I was lucky to find at Mojotone).

[​IMG]

While it looked good, the little cab didn't sound great, kind of boxy and honky. A cabinet that small just should not be closed-back. So, with a couple pieces of 1/2" plywood and the green Tolex left over from the head, I made these:

[​IMG]

Now THAT'S the way a 1-12" cab for a Champ should be.

There's just one more improvement I want to make. The Jensen Electric Lightning that came in the cabinet is a very British-voiced, hard-rock kinda speaker. Not really what we think of when we think "Champ". So, I'm going to swap an Eminence 1258 into the Lopo cab; it will get me the American voicing and a couple more dB from my 5 watts. The hard-rockin' Jensen will find a more suitable home in my next project: a 1-12" cabinet with Orange cosmetics to match my cute little Micro Terror head. Stay tuned.

fendertx likes this.
  2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nice work.

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is a beauty! What a timely post as well. I am expecting a shipment from a certain amp builder myself. I spent some time today looking at extension cabs myself.;)

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I originally bought the Lopo cab off eBay just because it was what I found at the time, cheap. Since Muchxs did a "guts only" build for me, I was then free to finish the head to match. Somewhat accidentally, it's ended up becoming a handsome little stack.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.