No wonder there's a 2 years wait list

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Watching the demand for luxury gear collapse over the next year or so is going to be "interesting".
I'm thinking yes, more and more. With types like Samick built Harley Benton building good guitars for under $300 now and starting to look like they are not a flash in the pan situation. I'm thinking the horizon looks bleak for Gibson and Fender USA guitars to me.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Maybe. I don't know, but it's a one man shop that cuts his own wood, paints everything, winds his pickups, has his own hardware. I could not be more pleased with mine, and at half the cost of much out there now. It has taken the top spot now for all gigs and practices. I also prefer dealing directly with the builder vs a company in a custom build, and I've done it both ways.

That is purty.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I'm thinking yes, more and more. With types like Samick built Harley Benton building good guitars for under $300 now and starting to look like they are not a flash in the pan situation. I'm thinking the horizon looks bleak for Gibson and Fender USA guitars to me.
Unless a person is in it for the headstock and decal (and thus, resale), high-end imports are where the smart guitar dollars go.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Feel free to copy :cool: Here's another one I came up with on a homebrew Tele-like beast; this one has a straight line across the top and more rounded corners. Nobody else follows the angle of the pickup with the pickguard, and I think it's a no-brainer because it sort of ties everything together.

Broadcaster-Tele-ver2-New-Pickguard-Shape.jpg
Kinda got my vertigo stirred up.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Showroom is still closed!
Have they decided to become a strictly internet seller now?
I'm thinking the horizon looks bleak for Gibson and Fender USA guitars to me.
No disrespect but you’re probably thinking wrong. Good quality, inexpensive guitars have been around a long time and it hasn’t impacted Gibson and Fender. Just look at the thread. People continue to buy high end, high margin guitars. On the other hand, they have product at every price point.

The people who buy CS and higher models are a totally different market segment than the folks who want a Harley Benton.

Oh yeah, the Fender Mod Shop will make you a US made custom guitars and send it to you within 30 days. (although they are in their holiday period now so they will start no new orders until after New Years.). My guess is they will expand this product line.

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
The people who buy CS and higher models are a totally different market segment than the folks who want a Harley Benton.
Correct. $15 quartz watches are more accurate than $30,000 Rolex's, which brings me to this quote:
Why do you think luxUrey items are going to collapse? That market has stayed strong.
100% the case. Made this case to a friend restoring his car. He wanted to sell it earlier this year with just a little finish work remaining. He said he needed to sell it now, citing economic downturn concerns and the time it would take to finish the upholstery and trim work.

I asked him if he felt like the price of luxury goods had a rational tie to overall economic health indicators. Needless to say he fixed the car and sold it, and may have even had a few grand more by waiting until now.

Wound_Up

Tele-Afflicted

Samick builds guitars for Harley Benton? So does World Sound Music aka J & D Guitars. WSM also builds for Monoprice(Indio), Dean, and a few other companies as well.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Why do you think luxUrey items are going to collapse? That market has stayed strong.
Precisely. The very notion that there is an ever growing back order situation for the highest end gear should show anyone that it’s not going away.

It doesn’t matter how good a Harley Benton or whatever else gets. It just doesn’t. The guys who are going to buy Core model PRS and FCS guitars just don’t care. They’re going to buy what they want. Because they want it, and they can afford it. And believe it or not, there are a LOT of them.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I just had a look at Wildwood's site and they've got about 250 CS Teles in stock! LOL! (And over 170 CS Strats). Do they just have a direct line to the factory?
Places like Wildwood, Dave’s, Willcutt etc move a lot of CS, high end product. I suspect it’s a system where Fender rewards dealers with additional supply who meet certain sales benchmarks.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
100% the case.

Precisely. The very notion that there is an ever growing back order situation for the highest end gear should show anyone that it’s not going away.

As I tried to hint above, why there will be a collapse in demand for luxury product purchases would lead into a discussion of a disallowed topic.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Samick builds guitars for Harley Benton? So does World Sound Music aka J & D Guitars. WSM also builds for Monoprice(Indio), Dean, and a few other companies as well.
Evidently, I read a blurb about HB and they indicated that. One Harley Benton model appears identical to my archtop Tele hollow which is labeled a Michael Dolsey (Former surfboard maker) I REALLY like that guitar.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Evidently, I read a blurb about HB and they indicated that. One Harley Benton model appears identical to my archtop Tele hollow which is labeled a Michael Dolsey (Former surfboard maker) I REALLY like that guitar.

Cort and Samick probably build 90% of the guitars that come out of southeast Asia.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member

It doesn’t matter how good a Harley Benton or whatever else gets. It just doesn’t. The guys who are going to buy Core model PRS and FCS guitars just don’t care. They’re going to buy what they want. Because they want it, and they can afford it. And believe it or not, there are a LOT of them.
Probably true. Look what people pay for concert tickets, EV's, houses! There's a ton of money around. We're talking First World problems........ If you aren't buying your sweetie a Lexus or Mercedes for Christmas your poor!

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Yup. People with money still make money in a downturn and are not going to pass on a custom item because an import is 'really good'. They don't really 'need' whatever they are buying in the first place.

acousticnitemare

TDPRI Member
Yup. People with money still make money in a downturn and are not going to pass on a custom item because an import is 'really good'. They don't really 'need' whatever they are buying in the first place.
Yup. You can put a price tag on cachet and prestige to go with your gear, but you know that the people you hang with are better at it.