1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No-truss rod neck construction

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by epizootics, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have made a couple of necks with a piece of 1/4" square steel tubing epoxied in instead of a truss rod. They have been stable for many years.

crazydave911 likes this.
  2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I beleive it was post war to late 1950's, but Framus was great about mixing and matching whatever was about, so you can sometimes see the truss rod less necks later. I think the original Bill Lorento Hollywood guitar was truss rod less, its one way to tell the later 21st century copies from the mid 20th century originals

upload_2019-9-24_12-7-4.jpeg

beautiful guitar

upload_2019-9-24_12-7-46.jpeg

no fret rod on the original

these are circa 1958

RodeoTex and crazydave911 like this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

I have built one classical guitar with a Spanish cedar neck with no truss rod. The relief was planed into the neck before the rosewood fretboard was glued on. The guitar is 11 years old and still has the same relief as when I built it. Its important to note that a classical and an electric have roughly the same tension - 100+ pounds - a 24 inch scale may have less depending on how you string it.

I'll just add that every other neck I have built since the classical has had an adjustable double acting truss rod - I just see no valid reason not to.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    ctmullins and magicfingers99 like this.
  4. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

I have an old Framus BL-10 from the late 60's that has that neck construction - it actually looks quite nice in the flesh. Mine still has a truss rod, though. It also has a mahogany veneer on the top with the grain running perpendicular to the strings, which is a bit disturbing.

Thanks! I'll give them a shout.

I am also in the process of building a short scale bass that will use the same fret wire, with a wenge FB over a padauk neck:

[​IMG]

This one has a two-way truss rod, so I'll use it to get a general idea of what to expect with this particular slot width in conjunction with the fret tangs.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. solfege

solfege TDPRI Member

I have a c. '39 Getsch archtop acoustic without a truss rod. I've had it for more than 20 years and it's been quite stable.

Cool project.

crazydave911 and epizootics like this.
  6. ppg677

ppg677 Tele-Meister

Ipe wood is incredibly dense and stuff.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Yes indeed! It is fairly easy to find in Europe too, but I don't have any in stock at the minute.
    I realized I still had some reclaimed massaranduba / bulletwood leftovers, hard stuff that's on par with ipe in terms of toughness, but sanding it instantly makes me feel like I have been in a protest and gassed by the police. Nasty, nasty stuff. I used that for my two-string fretless baritone thingie, I'll use it again if I have a workshop that's separate from my flat, but for now there's no way I'm putting my wife (and cat) through it. :)

Fancy meeting you here! Looks like that pine Tele is nearly done?

It has been a few days and the neck didn't move any further. I fretted the bass neck this week and it did induce a bit of a backbow, it gives me a rough idea of how much I should remove from the trussless neck before gluing the fretboard on. More soon...

crazydave911 likes this.
  8. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

I'm curious how your neck turns out. Following. I'm planning on building a no truss rod neck. I have an old Harmony Stratotone with no truss rod and it's just so fun to play. I really want a telecaster that feels that light and lively. In my mind it will be my dream guitar, I won't want any other after that.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Just a suggestion,build the Tele as a neck-thru like the Stratotone for the full effect :)

CD1669.JPG CD1670.JPG

I did :D

Dave

10. solfege

solfege TDPRI Member

Nearly. Just waiting on a new bridge pickup. Been playing with just the neck in and it sounds glorious.

crazydave911 and kaludjerko like this.
  11. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

I am curious about your guitar too. I would love to know more about it, does it have a trussrod? It looks like pine, how is that working? Is your build documented for me to follow?

crazydave911 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. crazydave911

A trussrod no,but my usual 1/4" cold rolled steel reinforcing bar (McMaster & Carr).The center piece of wood is very close to quartersawn pine,southern yellow pine.So hard carpenters have to drill for the nail holes.Not my first pine neck rodeo lol.It is documented in two threads,the distant beginnings in my "Dear diary,what a build it's been".The follow up and remodel in my current thread,"Sneaky Snake-A Memoriam.PM any questions/concerns you may have :D

mojavedesert likes this.
  13. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Well, a bit of a follow-up after the facts...

I finished the guitar before Christmas. I kept the neck nice'n'thick, both for safety and for comfort (can you really beat a thick, baseball-bat neck?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks a lot like maple in spite of the redder hue, but MAN is this rowan stuff hard. Like carving aluminum or something. I gave the wood some time to move between every operation. I sanded a bit of a relief in the middle of the chechen fretboard as I was radiusing it to counteract the backbow created by the fretting process. By more luck than wits, it turned out almost perfectly straight once the frets were on.

The neck didn't budge after I strung up the guitar with 12-52's. In spite of being a heavy piece of wood, it felt lighter than usual from the lack of a truss rod. The whole guitar balances perfectly.

[​IMG]

Now, as far as sound goes...It sounds like a guitar :) I'll let you judge from my crappy video:

(straight into my battered 10" Peavy solid state combo)

It's hard to tell what comes from the pickups, the bridge & trem, and the construction itself. I'd say it sounds quite 'old' and sweet. It was a fun enough build, but overall...It's a lot easier to build a neck with a truss rod :)

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

well, that worked!

Now that you've done one, you can go back to the easy way. ;)

15. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I'd use a thicker piece of wood for the neck.

16. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've made 2 necks without truss rods in the past. A year or so later I had to pop off the fretboards and install truss rods.

Truss rods are pretty cheap insurance if you ask me. Why take a chance.

YMMV

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. crazydave911

Spoil sport lol

19. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Tele-Meister

I’m not sure of the details of Martin’s ebony strip, but I remember one guitar maker saying he used an ebony strip, and would make it slightly longer than the channel, so when he would force it in, it would put a backbow in the neck that string tension would pull straight. I think he also said on the ends of the channel, there were cross pieces, so that it wasn’t end grain against end grain with the strip and channel ends.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

But how many of em do ya gotta make before you know how long to cut the ebony strip?o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.