No to Yes

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Larry F, Apr 2, 2011.

1. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

Another "I don't get..." thread.

I love Yes & Steve Howe (& a bunch of other music too). And I'm neither a stoner, conspiracy theorist, or drug dealer. Go figure.

How 'bout this? We can all walk away & leave it lie. You can leave poor Steve Howe alone, & I won't share my thoughts on Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, or any of the guys you dig. Dig?

2. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Yes are obviously a threat and must be stamped out

3. Five Fingers

Five Fingers Tele-Afflicted

Personally I believe that Yes is 'one' of the greatest Progressive Rock bands the world has ever seen, and I salute their banner for their musicianship, their creativity and their self belief.

4. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

I've tried liking Yes, many times, to no avail. I have nothing against them, though.

An interesting lesson, though, is that all of these players can play circles around Jimmy Page, but Zeppelin will remain, like it or not, when Yes is long gone (I know the Beatles are the extreme case, but we all know they rule and will be around forever). Discuss.

5. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

And I thought I was the only one who felt this way about the Dead. Let me throw in the fact that they could not sing worth a damn and despite having two drummers, (maybe that was the problem?), they seemed to be very rhythm challenged at times. Most times. Whenever I have confronted dead heads about these short comings, they usually agree and then say something to the effect, that, "they sure could give a great party".... Thanks for the company.

6. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Don't have much of any intelligent conversation to add to this thread...as usual:)...but, I did get to see Yes and Kansas live about 10 years ago at the Dallas Starplex outdoor theatre. And, the venue had the gall to charge effin $7.00 for an 8 ounce cup of draft beer.

W..............T...............F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

There's no law that says you have to like them, but I always thought Steve Howe was good at (a) playing in a "prog" style that still wore its roots rock (i.e. Chuck Berry) influences on its sleeve, and (b) constructing a solo.

But, opinions, etc., no sweat, I'm long past the time when I feel like I have to explain or validate my own musical tastes (or inflict them on my unwilling friends).

8. banjohabit

banjohabit Tele-Holic

indeed! "back away from the prog-rock band and no one gets hurt......"

9. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

That was a pretty hastily pumped out post. Seeing it again I regret that last sentence. It is akin to friends disparaging my love for "pickup truck" music or whatever b/c it evokes for them country "rednecks" and such. I hate when folks do that to me. I shouldn't do it either. It was meant to be funny but really is just snarky and arrogant. I'd take it back if i could.

Nothing wrong with the dead or their fandom. Just not my cup of tea.

For the record though I grew up with and shared a bedroom with one of the world's great deadheads for the first 18 years of my life so the dead is a bit of a sore spot for me and I felt like I had more than my share of musical "contact high" offa them. If i have to sit through one more go at Darkstar I would likely kill myself. My brother's 2 fave bands were the GD and Yes. So there you go.

rock on.

-kp--

10. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

ps. Yes should get props for one other thing: They provided the necessary contrast needed to maximize the relief the Ramones, Killing Joke, etc. & co provided. Sorta like sitting in the sauna or steam before jumping in the pool.

:)

11. ianasdfg

ianasdfg Tele-Afflicted

Check out how many people of all ages dig Yes on blogs, youtubes, etc ... check out how massively influential they are ... after all this time. OK so they're not your thing, which is fine, but it's kind of silly to assume their popularity is ethereal because you don't like them.
    More people are listening to their music than ever because they pretty much defined progressive rock, which for many (though not you) is the pinnacle of music as an art form.

12. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

If I told you it would blow my cover! :D

Fuyy thing is, i was never into Yes until the late 90's when a friend had some on. They were songs I'd never heard before, but caught my ear enough to say "who is this?" I've gotten deeper into their catalogue ever since.

13. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Coincidently I just saw Yes last night.

I was never a huge fan back in the day. But I always liked their songs when they came on the radio. And since I have TAS *, when I got an e-mail alert that they were coming to town I decided to go and see them.

They played last night at the Warner Theatre in DC. (It was not sold out.) I enjoyed the show very much (especially two “scenery” aspects ;) which I guess I will explain separately).

It was also cool to see Squire (a bass god to many) playing live.

* Ticket Acquisition Syndrome

14. Bolide

Bolide Friend of Leo's

Brilliant!

And, I do confess to going through a Tolkein phase (largely Zep inspired. I think though that I did watch Star Trek before Blue Oyster Cult made it "cool"; The miniskirt sweater dresses had a lot to do with that :D), which lasted about till I reached the end of The Hobbit, I never really bonded with the trilogy, but it was a long time before I was willing to entertain the idea that it might have been a case of "The Emperor's New Clothes."

But, I always saw Yes's lyrics as rather silly, likewise for much of Procul Harem, and many other prog groups (but not Tull or Traffic). Now I just like the sounds that Yes made.

15. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

As long as we're all chiming in ...
    I adore YES! One of my favorite bands of all time. And if I had to pick a best living rock/pop guitarist I'd unhesitatingly say Steve Howe. I don't hear any 'noodling' and I don't hear anything unnecessary in their/his (meant for public consumption) recorded output. Chris Squire did a vast amount of the writing and most of the signature bkgrnd vox. Check out his solo record 'Fish out of Water' (Thank you Tim Bowen!). And because I'm a 'jazzer' I dig the F G Db to Eb type chord progressions;).

16. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I like 'em. I saw them live way back in the day, original lineup, and they were great. I like their records and I don't care that the lyrics are obsure references to things that even Jon Anderson doesn't remember. I like the songs and the moods they evoke. They were/are inventive and they definitely had their own thing going.

17. tcadam

tcadam Tele-Afflicted

You're right-- It IS funny how people are wired differently.

18. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Rick Wakeman said No to Yes, around four times, last count

19. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

Jon Anderson said Yes and they said No and got a tribute singer instead

20. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Now his son Oliver has replaced him. the moog doesn't fall far from the tree

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.