No Tele in 20+ years. Any love for the Player Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tygr55, Jul 23, 2021.

1. tygr55

tygr55 TDPRI Member

I've really been jonesing for a Telecaster in my old age. Not ready to make the full commitment yet though.

So...I just bought a "mint" 2018 model to give a damn good try.

Will I be hearing anything at all like USA Tele? An older AmStd I'm thinking should sound like a real Telecaster.

What say you folks?

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  2. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

What you bought is the real deal and I think it will serve you well. No need for serial number envy! HNGD!

3. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

My #1 is a Player Series in Tidepool Blue with a Fender roasted maple neck, and Noiseless Gen 3 pickups (hey, I like em) that the previous owner installed, and I like the sound of enough to leave in.

Festofish, jwag and tygr55 like this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

No discernible difference in sound between USA and Mexico Teles. And the sound on either can be modified, easily.

5. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Meister

We say: if you NGD without pictures the bad guys win. :)

6. jwag

jwag Tele-Meister

HNGD, Congrats.

I’ve been on the hunt for a great Tele and Strat for a while now. I’ve played quite a few of them both and haven’t pulled the trigger on a $1700 + new or used one yet.

However, I did just buy a Classic Series 60’s Strat yesterday and will tell you I couldn’t be happier. I bought it cheap, knowing if I didn’t like it, I could make a few bucks and move it fairly fast. I’m just gonna go ahead and say for at least the time being, I’m no longer looking at Strat’s and fully focused on Tele’s moving forward.

I put a set of nicer 57/62 pickups in my cart with full intentions of ordering them this weekend. That said, I’m pretty content with the stock pickups in mine, and going to hold off for now. The bridge is a little weaker than I’m used to using, but it sounds like a good Strat to me.

The reason I mentioned the Strat is…I’m now looking for a Classic Series Tele. If they’re anything like the Strat’s….I’m looking forward to saving some cash, and getting a fantastic guitar.

tygr55 likes this.
  7. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Tele-Meister

You have chosen wisely. A tele is a very simple design. You don’t need to pay out the nose to get a great one.

tygr55 and nickmsmith like this.
  8. Ironheadslim

Ironheadslim TDPRI Member

I am loving my Tidepool Tele with the stock pickups. The sound, the color, fit & finish. One of my favorite guitars ever!

tygr55 likes this.
  9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I owned one and really liked it. A very nice guitar and I believe that I only paid $350 for the used but mint condition guitar and case.

Only sold the Player Telecaster when I got a deal on an American Professional in a color that I wanted.

E896805C-FD7A-4789-8996-4BDC81D4BEE4.jpeg

10. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

The stock pickups in that Classic 60s strat are *very* well thought of--the CS 69s. I'd play the heck out of them before I did anything else!

jwag, nathanteal and tygr55 like this.
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Be careful buying a 2018, as those are the ones with the string holes drilled too far out, and are a pig to restring. I ended up having to replace the bridge, as Fender UK refused any help at all.

gridlock and tygr55 like this.
  12. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

There are plenty of "real Telecaster" sounds that differ from one another. I say don't be so fixated on American, all I have are MIMs and they're great. I would put them against any American ones any day of the week. Buy what feels good in the hands and good to the ears, and play your heart out. That's all there is to it.

Fendereedo and tygr55 like this.
  13. tygr55

tygr55 TDPRI Member

Bought it sight unseen from a seller with a generous return policy.

Here she is:

Telecaster.jpg

14. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Congratulations. :):cool:

15. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Same with mine. New bridge not shown.

Fendereedo likes this.
  16. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my crazy, twisted way of thinking, if the headstock has the words "Fender" & "Telecaster", it's a "real" Tele regardless of which series it represents.

17. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Good choice. I had a Player strat and liked it a lot. They are well made instruments with just some different appointments from their American counterparts.

tygr55 likes this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

The Player Series are a great platform. You'll sound like you playing a Tele because they are a Tele.

The only mods I'd do on that guitar are adding a 4-way switch for a stealth Les Paul series humbucker tone and rotate the control plate for Vol-Tone-Switch to the rear sometimes called the Bill Kirchen mod. Otherwise just do a setup to your preferences and play the guitar.

tygr55 likes this.
  19. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Gorgeous, just like mine. Mine is lake placid blue, check my avatar. But I'm a humbucker type of person, so I put a dimarzio chopper t in the bridge. So do I get that Telecaster sound? I do but it's a different sound for most telecasters. In my ears a better sound, because I like humbuckers in the bridge position.

Congrats!!

tygr55 likes this.
  20. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

Hello Homey,

Player Tele's do you very well at an affordable price. I buy them and upgrade most parts which allows me to stay in my retirement budget. Most of us choose to upgrade to better pickups. Bootstrap and Cavalier are the #1 & #2 choice for affordable quality. You can not go wrong with these two pickup makers.

Your Tele is newer than my two and I am not aware of the bridge problem mentioned. I did replace my bridge with a Fender standard 3 saddle bridge with compensating tuners.

Enjoy your new guitar.

tygr55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.