1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No sound at all. Tried 6 different schematics squier tele.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by AAA71, Jun 20, 2020.

1. AAA71

AAA71 Tele-Meister

I have tried multiple wiring schemes given to me on the page (which are all different), watched multiple you tube videos. No sound from pick ups still. I just don't get it. Pics attached. I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. I swapped out the dial 3 way switch for a cheaper one thinking I had over heated the original. Didn't matter at all.

For reference, Red wire is to input jack positive, black to ground on tone pot.
    Green wire is hot bridge wire. Black to ground on volume.
    White wire close to my thumb is hot from neck, ground to volume.
    Everything is grounded to volume, including black bridge wire with a bit of silver tape on it except the tone cap and the input jack ground which are grounded to tone pot.
    The ground solders are solid and shiny.

I have NO clue why I can build amplifiers but can wire a squier tele.

ANY AND ALL help is SO appreciated.

Thank you,
    TS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

Did you test with multmeter? The squier switches go out all the time.

AAT65 likes this.
  3. 440mhz

440mhz Tele-Meister

Might be time to upgrade that switch.

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

first check if your pickups get a ohm reading.
    seeing so much long bare wire it would not surprise me a lead would touch the metal control plate and short to ground resulting i no sound

i would check the working of the pots to.
    when making a soldering spot on the pot. put the tip of your soldering iron on the metal, count to 10 and ad the solder wait about 10 seconds to flow.
    (if it flows sooner on the pot than stop earlier)
    what i do i make 1 lead to the pot as ground connection and attach other gnd lead to that wire, so you don't have to heat op the pot again and again

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Since you build amps, you must have a meter, right? Check continuity between the sleeve of the output jack, and the grounded volume pot lug. Work backwards from there.

6. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

10 years ago.... I accidentally reverse soldered the ground wire and the hotwire on the OUTput jack. I did not catch it. didn't notice it....which gives you no sound for a day. started blaming the pickups and the tone pots. but I was wrong.

so double check or simply re-solder them in opposite positions on the OUTput Jack's tabs for a quick check.

good pictures:
    https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/06/25/how-to-install-an-output-jack/#:~:text=On a cable, the Tip,unwanted noise from your guitar.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    DougM likes this.
  7. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Plug a lead into the jack and set the volume to 10.
    Now, a multimeter across the lead should measure the pickup impedence. Single pickup selected (neck or bridge) should measure around 8K (give or take a few K), while selecting both pickups will give the value of the pickups in parallel (around 4K, give or take).
    If you are not getting these readings, you have a wiring problem.

P.S. I'm not feeling very well after seeing the soldering. I would redo the whole thing.

Kevin Wolfe and DougM like this.
  8. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It's an output jack. The input is on the amp.

9. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Whose post are you responding to?
    I did'nt mention input or output.
    Just plug a lead into the guitar (yes, the output jack).
    Don't plug it into an amp. Just measure impedence of the pickups with a multimeter (on the end of the lead you would plug into the amp)as explained.

10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It was in the OPs post. "The red wire is to input jack positive, etc.", and later on "input jack ground grounded to tone pot".

kbold likes this.
  12. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

The commons on that switch are the two lugs in the middle. The input lug of the volume pot should be connected to both of them.

Use this diagram:

[​IMG]

13. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

lol, it's made me feel a lot better about my own soldering.

14. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

This is probably just one of dozens of things that could be wrong, but I went through something similar last week. I suspected I had a bad pot and then I tested the pickups while everything was wired, but not in the wiring cavity. If you plug the guitar in, and turn on your amp, the pickups still amplify sound. I played a song through my phone's speaker and it came through the amp fine. The signal went away when I crammed everything back in the wiring cavity, strung it up, etc., etc.. So I take everything back out... then I got the chopstick out and tapped all the connections, poked and prodded while I got sound back, lost it, got it back again and so on. What I figured out was that signal was shorting out when a couple of things happened. I had a bare ground wire coming from each pickup and shielded wires all in a jumble in the cavity. it was a tight fit. Anytime the bare or shielded wire touched each other or a pot, signal disappeared. I zip tied some wires together to clean things up, and used electrical tape to keep shielded wire from touching one another or the pots.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.