1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No Soul

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Wrighty, Sep 17, 2020.

1. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah....

@2:33

RIP Opryland USA.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

That video reminds me of the story about the guy who hired a beautiful young woman, who was wearing a crop top and daisy dukes to fix his riding lawn mower. He watched her as she made grand gestures of bending over and posing provocatively, all while tinkering with the motor...
    She took apart the motor, haphazardly reassembled it and demanded $500.
    The mower still didn’t run, so he called his usual guy. The old mower repairman took one look and said, “Well, she didn’t know what she was doing at all.”

The owner of the mower said, “No, you’re wrong...she knew EXACTLY what she was doing...but it had nothing to do with my lawn mower.”

3. Fiesta Red

I like videos like that because it reminds me to age gracefully and don’t try to wear something or groom myself in a way that wasn’t really all that great in the first place.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Fiesta Red

Now that wasn’t bad, at all.

5. Fiesta Red

Dang it. Now I gotta go watch it again. (Thank you!)

Does anybody know how to get a hold of this small business owner?

I have some brush that needs to be cleared off my property.

Gypsy music?

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

There's a lot that often doesn't translate over cultural lines. That was a European example, but I've seen Japanese examples that miss the mark, too.

To wash out the taste of that Final Countdown cover, and mix in the European thing, I'll leave you with this:

Of course, the original was European...

7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

no soul? are you talking about ginger people?

8. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

Depends on what you mean. In the dance music realm, it's funny to see.

In Spain people have a lot of joie de vivre. Their folk music is really expressive. Their parties are great. But put them on a house or techno or disco floor and their dancing is just as clueless as their northern counterparts. I say this as a Cuban, where obviously the attitude towards music and dance is a lot different, much closer to Black American attitudes (for obvious reasons).

In Europe there's a lot of house music that tries to be "soulful" - cheesy funk stuff that doesn't really speak to what people using those idioms in the US are really doing with them, samples of MLK and Malcolm, just over the top stuff that misses the mark. House heads from Europe move to New York or Chicago almost like it's for "street cred" or something. It comes off a lot of times as performing blackness, and looks both disrespectful and is extremely boring.

They seem to get jazz pretty well though, but I guess jazz education really forces an examination into feel. Whereas a lot of rock and pop educational material that's out there really neglects the aspect of groove.

9. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.