1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No scratchplate route for a strat/tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wilsona, Feb 22, 2014.

1. wilsona

wilsona TDPRI Member

Hi,
    Has anyone devised a no scratchplate route for rear mounting standard strat pickups that still caters for a standard tremolo? I've seen the Warmoth-style front routes but pickups are still mounted from the front and tbh its not a very professional job.
    Thx,
    AMW

2. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Not exactly sure what you are asking...

Do you want rear mounted pups with a traditional Strat tremolo? If so, I'm not sure how you would be able to pull that off.

3. wilsona

wilsona TDPRI Member

Yes that's it exactly. I'm thinking of basically an extended backplate, with a crossmember for the claw that does not interfere too much with the middle pickup.

4. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Can't seeing it being impossible, just means dismantling the trem springs when you need to get to the pickups, not sure about the location of the claw but it's possible that you could make a bracket to hold it that it removable too if needs be, kinda like a trapeze tailpiece that's hidden.

5. wilsona

wilsona TDPRI Member

Yeah - I'll maybe try to draw it up, be a fairly complicated route. Thought someone might have had a go at it.

6. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

If you're gonna go to all that trouble why not use a "pusher" spring of some sort on the other side of the block?

7. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

What about a Jazzmaster style tremolo instead?

8. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

This is a strat I did. Being a 2 humbucker rout, I still had somewhere to mount the trem claw. I looked at my templates and the trem claw cavity ends in the center of the middle pickup on a standard strat. The trapeze, crossmember and compression spring ideas could all be made to work. I would lean towards a crossmember attached to the sides of the cavity.

Attached Files:

9. wilsona

wilsona TDPRI Member

That is fantastic! - I do want to use single coils so a removable claw mount sounds like the way to go. Thanks a lot.

10. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

This guitar is coming in for it's annual check up in two weeks. I'll get some more pictures of it and post them for you to see.

The rout is a bit complicated, just take your time and think things through. I did the front routs first and went all the way through body with the pick up holes which made lining up the rear template a breeze.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.