No saddles?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

How do you intonate a guitar that has no saddles? I am looking at a Gibson Les Paul Junior Tribute, and it has no saddles, the strings go straight to the bridge. It's a compensated bridge, I can see that. But still, how do you adjust the intonation? I searched all over the web but amazingly could find no answer. All the other Gibsons seem to have individual saddles. Advice? Would this guitar just be a PITA?

lcxd9snbl9cawt8afooi.jpg

2. mabinogeon

mabinogeon TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

With those screws you can see poking out the bottom of the bridge.

3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

You only have the option of moving the whole bridge at either side , as said
    There are , off course , hundreds of aftermarket solutions ready
    Generally , these models aren't known for super intonation

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You’ll need an Allen/hex wrench to adjust the bridge assembly.
    It should intonate perfectly with common string set gauges.

5. Marc Morfei

Ahh, I see. Got it. Thanks. So you can't adjust each string. Hmm.... not sure if I like that. Of course I suppose tele owners get along just fine with all those 3-barrel vintage saddles. So I guess close enough is good enough,\.

colnago likes this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got the dual pickup version of that guitar. I'm pretty nitpicky about intonation with my guitars, and this one doesn't give me any issues.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  7. Marc Morfei

Overall how do you like the guitar? They have one used at my local GC, and it played and sounded really nice. Light as a feather, too.

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Running 10-46 on it.

IMG_1105.jpeg

9. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

If you do feel you need to adjust one side or the other of that bridge rearward by tightening those tiny grub/set screws, I'd suggest loosening the strings and making small (1/4 turn of the screw) adjustments and then retuning and checking. There is a lot of tension on that stop tailpiece/bridge, and there is a chance that the screw threads could strip if tightened with full full string tension applied.

I had a Hamer USA Special shaped exactly like that Gibson and found it to be uncomfortable to manage when playing seated. The body shape just would not balance well for me. You should certainly try one, or something similar, at a local store before buying it to see how it "fits" you and your typical playing position, seated vs. standing

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    nojazzhere, bumnote and TheGoodTexan like this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

As has already been said, unless you’re using an oddball string set, you can pretty much nail the intonation with a wraparound bridge that has the two set screws on the back.

I had a friend who played slide on a LP Jr, and used a super heavy plain D string (like a plain 24??) rather than a wrapped string. He couldn’t get that one intonated too well for fretting up high, but it worked for slide. Other than cases like that, there is nothing wrong with those bridges.

Jackroadkill and MrGibbly like this.
  11. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

And archtop owners get along just fine with floating bridges. Intonation on a guitar is a heap of compromises. No reason that won’t work fine. Also, Juniors only look right with those bridges, IMHO.

nojazzhere and TheGoodTexan like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Wrap tails are "close enough for rock n roll!"

The "lightning" ridge line on top of the wrap tail sets up the intonation pattern, small adjustments are done on the bar from side to side depending if you are using 9s or 10s.

It generally works pretty well.

Look up intonation of nuts (buzz feiten system) and the microtonal or fanned fret fretboards out there if you are really zeroing in on intonation improvement desires.

If you get a wrap tail guitar and you can't get it intonated, there is a design called "bad ass" that is a wrap tail with individual saddles you can move.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Just remember that almost all acoustic guitars operate the same way. There are no individual intonation adjustments for each string.

colnago, MilwMark, Jim603 and 4 others like this.
  14. vgallagher

vgallagher Tele-Meister

It’s kind of like a compensated acoustic guitar saddle but with adjustment. I would think you could tweak it in pretty close to perfect.

MilwMark likes this.
  15. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have an SG special with that bridge. No issues. A Les Paul with a slanted wraparound from Mojoaxe. No issues. A vintage Gretsch 6120 with a straight bar bridge. No issues. It's all close enough. Les Paul played with a wrap. Chet Atkins played with a straight bar. Sounded pretty good to me.

16. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

Had to post because I have one too...

[​IMG]

Fendereedo and Frodebro like this.
  17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Hard to see on this photo (only one I have at the moment) but I put a Leo Quan "BaddAss" bridge on my 1960 Jr. Each string has an adjustable saddle, like a Tune-O-Matic. My PRS SE One has the "lightning bolt" type bridge (fixed) and it intonates just fine.
    Vox 149.JPG

18. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

I've got something similar. I'm less successful in getting it intonated. I've looked at the wraparound bridges with saddles that you can buy aftermarket, but from what I've read it sounds like they raise the action significantly, so I haven't tried it.

This guitar and my AC-15 are in *love* with each other, though.

nojazzhere likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They have more room for intonation adjustment than most acoustics. I don't hear any intonation issues when playing my acoustics.

beagle and nojazzhere like this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, there was an old guy here that was primarily a violin maker and repairman, but he also carved rosewood bridge saddles for acoustics. They were NOT adjustable, but fixed in what was generally the correct position for good intonation. He then cut out of the bridge where this "saddle piece" would sit. The last one he did for me (a Yamaha FG 160) in the early seventies, he was in advanced years, and his skills were failing him. I had to take the bridge, and cut down the "saddle peak" for one string, and then glue in a different "peak" so that it would play in tune.....but after that, it was fine.

Chunkocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.