No Saddles for Strings?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BeckBoy84, Feb 27, 2020.

1. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

So I had a thought today, and I know its probably stupid, and people dont do it for a good reason,but here goes:

What would happen If i took a set of vintage saddles, and drilled a hole basically where the string would break, and threaded the strings straight through the saddle apex, ball end RIGHT there? Would it be impossible to intonate? The idea is to test the theory of a bridge robbing the inertia of the string. I read it somewhere here a couple weeks ago on the forum when a member said he wrapped his string around the saddles and found his strings to have MORE sustain and twang. It seems like you would lose any beefy-ness doing this, but im too curious now, and its probably worth $10 for a set of ebay saddles.

Is there any reason this would just NOT AT ALL work? Would it for some reason be impossible to intonate?

Thank you all in advance! (this is my first post actually, although ive stalked for years. )

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I think you would run into problems with the wraps around the ball end of the strings; they aren't going to vibrate like the actual string length itself. I suppose you could use Fender bullet end strings (if they still make them) as they don't have wraps around the ball end.

nojazzhere and BeckBoy84 like this.
  3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

Sounds like a stupid idea to me, but that's all the more reason to try it right?

... just do it!

4. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Meister

Probably better to insert the strings instead from the Top & insert, then run them along the back of the gtr body etc,insert through hole in the head stock, & tie a knot= less noise!

5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

I’m not sure about what you want to do (a drawing would help) or what you mean by « robbing the inertia »?

6. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

Thats what I was thinking about, great idea with the fender bullets! If not that, maybe a second hole to the side of it, and run it in the one, out the other ‍♂️ I dont know, but you guys have me thinking its worth experimenting.

7. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

Thats the TDPRI attitude I like. I know its stupid but I gotta try it now, right? Ill report back with some pictures. Thinking about it now, you can also adjust string spacing, so I could get those strings from hugging the edge of the fretboard.

Si G X likes this.
  8. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Here's your song:

9. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

Sorry, I might try to draw one. I mean that the strings transfers energy into the bridge, and if it was only threaded directly through the saddle, with no break angle, what would the effect on tone be? Thats what I wanna find out. If it works, I can see it being very twangy.

10. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

Thats probably true. At the same time, thinking at work doesnt take my time, and 5 minutes to drill the holes, 10 dollars for saddles. Hell, the most time im wasting is here on the forum. Evidently nobodys done it, so I think im gonna have to give it a shot.

Si G X likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

I'm pretty curious I must admit... I think you'll have to be careful tuning up because each string will be pulling the saddle towards the neck, rather than downwards, you'd have to tune up a little at a time in pairs.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  12. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

Sounds like to me you're trying to make each saddle a mini-wraparound bridge. I like it. The only downfall I can see is what will happen with the extra wraps that hold the ball end. Not sure how they're going to play into the whole thing.

BeckBoy84 likes this.
  13. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

You are missing the fact that the energy transfer goes both ways. For any force applied, there is a reaction, a force in return. Though the balance of these forces depends on many factors.

It’s a fun experiment anyway, you should try it. Have you ever built a « didley bow »? This would be a good first step.

BeckBoy84 likes this.
  14. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

Thats definitely the case, the real question is just how it will sound. Many people think a giant sustain block just gives you soaring sustain and punch and all that, but a big brass block can actually steal your snap and attack and twang, where sometimes a thin steel block keeps the mud away. Im just interested in finding out what happens when you all but take any contact away from the string except the very low mass of a bent saddle, isolating the string.
    Ive never built a diddley bo, I guess it could be interesting, but every spare penny I have goes into my partscasters or amps so, I doubt ittl happen anytime soon.

15. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

Exactly, which is why im gonna use my strat that has a little bit of negative neck angle, also let up on the bridge plate screws and deck it in the back so the plate itself is angled a little. Well see hehehe.

16. BeckBoy84

BeckBoy84 TDPRI Member

Thats exactly what im doing! And thats exactly what im thinking. might not be able to tune it or definitely not intonate it, maybe I can find a way to wrap it in such a way that the string doesnt leave the saddle till right after the ball end winds.

17. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

if you had threaded saddles you might be able to get it to wind around the threads?

18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

No money involved here, just two big nails and steel wire (a used guitar string, or just any steel wire from the tool shed), and a wooden board from the dumpster. And then you can start experimenting with different bridge materials and constructions. Tuner is optional you can tune by moving the bridge.

19. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We'll look forward to your report, including pics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.