No Really Dear, It Followed Me Home.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
So I took the back off, other than a layer of dust on everything it is pretty clean. Took down the numbers of the speakers and found a pair attempted being sold.

tqbufnonvlonnbrelqyk.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The second one truly sucked from memory, the first was dark sounding.

Rola 12" 014-0308125 - Black

Rola 12" Speaker 285151 22901 014-027293

I can see why the power amp chassis is desired to use as a guitar conversion. Pretty convenient and a nice size. Shame the reverb is an inch wider. I was thinking about what RollingBender did with the organ he found, sectioning it to make it portable. This thing does have the Hammond sound with the tone wheels. It really could have a SS amp and the tone circuitry easy enough fed by a 12V supply and a voltage booster. Do I want to go through the trouble? Maybe next year. But then I have to find a place to put it. I need to get my car inside for the winter.

zook

Friend of Leo's
I am going to see if the extra taps on the OT will let me use an eight ohm speaker. If so I am thinking of the following circuit.

orBTEzu.png

I need to replace a number of components, add some others, might just be easier to start from scratch. We will see. The reverb is from a Blues Jr, never built it so it is a new experience. I am guessing the voltage will be low so might go SS rectifier.

Reconfigure the AC input like this:

upload_2021-11-30_17-22-8.png

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Reconfigure the AC input like this:

View attachment 924555

I used a ready made schematic from someone else just for the 5Y3 drawing since most are fond of them, never even spent the time looking glancing at it to see if there was anything odd. I guess I should have. I doubt I would use a tube rectifier in any build other than a recreation of a 30's type amp (have one in mind and the rectifier tube is mounted into the transformer), I am firmly in the SS rectifier camp. I doubt I have ever made an amp where the power did not come in to the fuse and then to the power switch then the transformer.

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
Great score!!!
Hammond L-112 Organ.

s-l640.webp

You know, going from the 130-150 lb Yamaha's to a 220 lb Hammond, you really feel the extra 70 lbs. Mind you it is 50% more weight. And normally I don't bother with them if they need to go up stairs. If I would have known I would have passed it by. I am now looking at the manual and I see it has the bass and treble speaker pair. From what I recall they both sound like crap for guitar. Darn, live and learn.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Hehe... I feel soooo much better after reading this thread! I thought I was bad but you (might) have me beat! :D
I just noticed your age. I
Great score!!!
Maybe not. My back hurts today. And I will probably just leave it as is and it will take up space in my garage. I wish it were half trashed, it would be apart in a day. I still am considering something along the lines as you had done. Make it functional but without the weight and volume. But I have many things to do first. No shortage of parts.

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
I am assuming it does.
Personally, I won't part out a tone wheel Hammond unless it won't work. They are real musical instruments, unlike the vast majority of electronic organs.
I've sold a few of them that I picked up free. You can always get 100-150 bucks for them. They typically just need oil because people run them dry. Use mineral oil if you don't have Hammond oil. It takes up to a week for the oil to soak in.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Personally, I won't part out a tone wheel Hammond unless it won't work. They are real musical instruments, unlike the vast majority of electronic organs.
I've sold a few of them that I picked up free. You can always get 100-150 bucks for them. They typically just need oil because people run them dry. Use mineral oil if you don't have Hammond oil. It takes up to a week for the oil to soak in.

Not a lot of people around here interested in an old organ. The only ones are the guys wanting to sell the guts for guitar amps. I was hesitant to get it but decided to shoot first and ask questions later. Talking with the guy it seemed he had no other callers. We are kind of an island with now other major population center within a 5-7 hour drive.

The tube of oil is sitting inside the cabinet and looks mostly full.

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
Not a lot of people around here interested in an old organ. The only ones are the guys wanting to sell the guts for guitar amps. I was hesitant to get it but decided to shoot first and ask questions later. Talking with the guy it seemed he had no other callers. We are kind of an island with now other major population center within a 5-7 hour drive.

The tube of oil is sitting inside the cabinet and looks mostly full.
I thought about chopping my last one, and using the amps and speakers for guitars, but other projects got in the way. I may do one someday, but I see fewer organs on Craigslist every year.
All the old people died or moved to retirement homes. Organs are legitimately becoming rare now. Can you imagine how many good transformers, speakers, and vintage tubes are in landfills?

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I just watched a few videos of modifications that can be done to the organ, I do not think this one will be going away soon. Might be a year or three before I get to it but I think there are some good times here.

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
I just watched a few videos of modifications that can be done to the organ, I do not think this one will be going away soon. Might be a year or three before I get to it but I think there are some good times here.
I did the foldback mod to the upper register of my M100. It was a somewhat tedious operation, but fun, and really brought the thing to life. You can also foldback the footpedal bass to the lower register I think.

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
I did the fold back on the M3 that I chopped. I plan on doing the bass fold back on the lower keyboard someday (I did away with the bass pedals).

Getting rid of the power amp would be great for what I’m doing. I added a line out, use a couple guitar stomp boxes for reverb and dirt, then run it through my home built Leslie. Don’t need all that heavy iron adding weight unnecessarily. It’s not adding much to the tone at this point and the iron could be put to a better use. If you could point me to some info on how to do this I would appreciate it very much.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I might do the mods also. I have it in the woodworking side of my garage now where it will sit until spring.

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
Don’t need all that heavy iron adding weight unnecessarily. It’s not adding much to the tone at this point and the iron could be put to a better use. If you could point me to some info on how to do this I would appreciate it very much.
Hey Bender,
Are you asking what to do with the Hammond Amps?

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
Hey Bender,
Are you asking what to do with the Hammond Amps?

oh…I know what to do with the iron… I just don’t want the chopped organ to weigh any more than absolutely necessary.

I recently purchased a Yamaha Reface YP organ. I’m picking up a few tunes in my working band that I will be hopping over to play keys on. It does awesome Hammond tones and the on-board Leslie simulator is very convincing also. But, I have another band where we put on bigger production/flashy shows and you just can’t beat a big ol’ Hammond and Leslie up on the stage. Our last show we did with that group, right before the ‘Rona hit, we even had a 9’ concert grand piano up there!

ArcticWhite

Tele-Afflicted
oh…I know what to do with the iron… I just don’t want the chopped organ to weigh any more than absolutely necessary.

I recently purchased a Yamaha Reface YP organ. I’m picking up a few tunes in my working band that I will be hopping over to play keys on. It does awesome Hammond tones and the on-board Leslie simulator is very convincing also. But, I have another band where we put on bigger production/flashy shows and you just can’t beat a big ol’ Hammond and Leslie up on the stage. Our last show we did with that group, right before the ‘Rona hit, we even had a 9’ concert grand piano up there!
Oh, now I get it.
The problem is that Hammond organs typically use the B+ for stuff like Vibrato and Percussion circuits.

I guess you could clip the amp out so you could carry it separately, for portability. But obviously, you'd have to wire in jacks and plugs and put the amp in its own cabinet. Probably more trouble than it is worth? The amp only weighs about twenty pounds.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh, now I get it.
The problem is that Hammond organs typically use the B+ for stuff like Vibrato and Percussion circuits.

I guess you could clip the amp out so you could carry it separately, for portability. But obviously, you'd have to wire in jacks and plugs and put the amp in its own cabinet. Probably more trouble than it is worth? The amp only weighs about twenty pounds.
Not only the amp, the organ cabinet around the speaker. If I wanted to make a light weight unit most of the organ cabinetry would go as well as the bass pedals. Use a 12V laptop power supply, a high voltage switching supply to feed the tubes. A Class D power amp.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
I thought this would make a good enclosure for a amp, $10. OK it is bitterly cold out, the roads are treacherous, just drive slow and leave lots of room from everyone else. Seems others had the same idea, it was not bad, only one idiot in a truck blowing past the rest of us and ending at the same stoplight as us. But that is besides the point.

fjGAyy9.jpg

I thought adding a couple more knobs and an input jack at the bottom would be cool. Maybe the tuning dial as a VVR. But I wait 20 minutes for the guy and finally get in. He has it plugged in and playing. It sounds fine. There is a couple of scuffs on the case and the back corner with a little chip, but it looks really good for its age. It has a schematic stapled to the bottom, too bad a section of it is missing. A 50L6 output tube and a 12AV6

The inside looks pretty pristine. I just took a swipe at the surface with a tissue no real dust to speak of, the asbestos looks factory fresh.

wEQtTvq.jpg

Oh well, another piece of equipment to stick on the shelf. Just pulled this one down. I know I will not build it yet, too much to work on as it is. But I have to have new stuff to dream about.

6LSS76y.jpg

Last edited:

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
Well I did it. I left a console radio with a SE 6V6 power amp with the owner. I could have made a Champ out of it but, I think I have enough crap as it is. See, I was able to do it. Was hoping for a speaker to fill the fourth spot in the 4x10, maybe next time.

I thought of the above radio cabinet, I think a P-P 6V6 circuit with 6 equally spaced holes should work. One for the input jack, I will have to think about the rest. A Tweed volume and tone channel and a volume bass and treble might be interesting. Maybe a master in the back, or VVR.

RollingBender

Tele-Afflicted
Vendor Member
This just popped up today on the local online market as a freebie…
EEFA6A11-E1EA-445C-BD88-C00BD02D4822.jpeg

Must have been a good Baldwin salesman around here about 58 years ago as I’ve gutted 3 of them in the past few years. Each one contains a 36 watt EL84 amp and an 18 watt EL84 amp (shared PT), 2-12” speakers and 1-10” speaker. One of them, the 12’s were C12R Jensens. I probably should go pick it up.