1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No Really Dear, It Followed Me Home.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by printer2, Jan 10, 2020.

1. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Where are you finding these things?
    My Craigslist is full of tube radios listed at 150 and up, and I haven't seen a tube organ in months..

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Keep up the good fight, you just have to be vigilant and lucky. I hadn't gotten anything in months, my last score was a Webcor tube reel to reel for $20 last fall, but then on craigslist yesterday I saw a curb alert on a Magnavox stereo console. It was solid state, but for free I figured I'd drive by and see if it was still there and it was.

It had a couple of 15" alnico speakers in good shape, some horn tweeters that I may or may not ever find a use for and I pulled the amps too in case there are any worth while Ge transistors to harvest for pedals.

IMG_20200409_213903.jpg

I pulled the relevant parts and immediately drug the god awful French provincial style cabinet to the curb.

As you say though, there are a lot of people who want laughable money for this stuff. There are at least two other SS magnavox consoles people are trying to sell locally on CL, one for $250 :lol:. Now that I got the speakers out of this one for free, that jerk has one less interested party willing to drag his away for free when he inevitably realizes it is basically worthless.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

You don't find much in the way of tube organs. The last one was a Lowrey organ that was for $25, 5 minute drive from my place. The woman's father died and she was from out of town cleaning out the house. Other than that a couple of Wurlitzer's I haven't seen a tube organ around here that was in the range I was willing to pay. Mind you I am not in any need of one and have enough tube radios to fill the gap.

Console radios with record players from the 50's and stereos from the 60's, mostly with single ended output amps. Never see any stereo push-pull consoles. So the hifi consoles are your best bet. They have quite a few listed at high prices and they just sit. To get the low priced ones you have to be diligent and quick about it. And then you can go a year before you see something.

Just like the SS organs. Some think they are worth gold, one I advised wanted $200, said it cost them $2,500. I said they would be lucky to get $25. They finally did list it for $25 a few weeks ago and it is still listed. If I thought it had a great speaker in it I might go for it, it is a mid 70's one so not much chance. Mind you these Yamaha's have good speakers, as long as you don't get the 'ear' speakers. Got two of them, when you get it for free you don't behave picky. Got them home and sighed. The last two I got for free was the one to complete my quad and another one that is an alnico 25W. That one is going into an amp for my niece's husband, I have another two, and then a couple of ceramic 25W'rs.

They all make good guitar speakers, the 25W'ers naturally lighter, the anico's the lightest. The lower wattage ones are lower efficiency than the quad's but still do well in a guitar amp. There are some of the same type of the quad's that have anico magnets, was almost tempted when a guy was selling them but I thought I had enough speakers. They were still cast baskets if I remember right. Other than pulling the speakers, and some have 8" speakers for mid or tremolo, it is remove the speakers and take the rest of it to electronic recycling.

Whether a different town mirrors my experience I can't say. A lot of older people or their kids are looking to move into smaller living spaces and are parting with the family's radio. When my mother does I might have to part out the one she has. I may give it to the Sally Ann to sell, it is worth more in one piece than the tubes and the transformers, I probably have enough anyway.

4. printer2

Just picked up a free Yamaha with a SS tone generation and a tube amplifier. It was a 1965 model B-6. No schematic or details online I can find. Two 12"s and the power amp has 7868 output tubes and the OT says 9k on it. Looking up the datasheet and if at given values for 450V would be about 28W at 2% THD. Good they make the tubes again. Has two 6AU6's before them, guess Cathodyne splitter. Has a transformerless 6AQ8 reverb, fair sized resistors to dissipate the heat. A pair of JA3051 yamaha speaker, alnico's. That is it for my organ shopping spree. Have enough speakers and amplifier parts to last me as long as I will likely be interested in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  5. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Afflicted

Ooh..
    I didn't know Yamaha organs ever made tube amps! I'll keep my eyes open..

6. printer2

Actually a organ. I missed mentioning that.

7. printer2

I know I probably should not have, but ten bucks! A record player, no preamp tube, just a 50L6 fed by the ceramic cartridge. Just picked it up for the case to put an amp in. The panel that the speakers and amp sits on fits in where the hole is.

[​IMG]

8. printer2

OK, last one. It dropped in price from $50 to $20. Only saw the picture in the front, not too far from my place so I took a chance. Could not find the address so went back home, contacted the person and they messed up one number. O well. Pictures not mine.

[​IMG]

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/spartoncan_7149.html

Got it home and looked at the tube complement (never even checked there). A 5Y3, so far so good, a 6V6, check, another 6V6, 6AT6.

[​IMG]

12" speaker. A large power transformer, may have to swap one of my others. Why carry the weight if you don't have to? So worth the inconvenience and the $20.

Nickfl likes this.
  9. printer2

I fought with myself and lost. Another organ but with the only thing to go on was it is the first transistor use in an organ and it has a tube amplifier. Heavy to boot. Drove an hour, picked it up for free, originally came from California. Surprised to find a pair of 6L6CC's. Speaker looks not bad, strange that they had it firing into the leslie horn and there was a gap where the front radiation from the speaker leaked around to the back of it. Also a pair of rectifiers on the side, big one for the power and the smaller one for the bias I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And unless something really different comes along, this is my last organ. Mind you if I find a Lowery like the last one I'd go for it if it was $25 or less.

Jlwctn and RollingBender like this.
  10. printer2

Surprised I picked up another Yamaha organ but there was one for $25 or best offer. Had two 12's so I figured each would be worth $10. Brought it home and now I have four 16 ohm JA2057 Alnico 15 W speakers. Already have two of them so if I want a 4x12 at 4 ohm, each speaker weighs 4 lb 12 oz. With a lightweight pine cabinet somewhere in the range of 25 lbs, plus the 19 lbs in speakers, could be fun. Or a combo 2x12 and a 2x12 cab. Maybe the above amplifier for it. Or better yet, the Yamaha amp at the top of the page. Time will tell.

Jlwctn and Jake Nelson like this.
  11. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

Followed the thread to see if it actually ends! Haha. There are a couple chordovox amps nagging at me over here in Minnesota.

12. juliusaurus

juliusaurus TDPRI Member

PT, OT, socket, chassis, tubes (maybe) are the $$$. If its a tube radio, probably some air variable capacitors.

Great treasure hunt!

13. printer2

Actually ends? That is a scary thought. I should have started this thread way back when I I picked up a lot of old equipment and had it mentioned in whatever thread I had going. Would have been much better all in one. And that is also why not the great hurry on some of the stuff here, probably playing with other stuff I go. I tore apart my work area and have stuff pilled on benches and the like. When I finally get it cleaned up I should get some amps built.

Jlwctn, Jake Nelson and tubegeek like this.
  14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

this post is fun, great picture solid jackson:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.