No Really Dear, It Followed Me Home.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by printer2, Jan 10, 2020.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I should have started this thread a long time ago, I just stuck my finds in with whatever amp I was working on at the time. I saw this one online for $25, my kind of price. But I have collected enough early era radios, do I need one more? I already let three SS organs with decent speakers go, and they were free. But I just got home, it was listed for an hour.

Butt ugly, but for what I want it for not an issue. I saw a cap can and a tube sticking out, an array of knobs, bass treble, selector, tuning, I was guessing. Messaged and said I'll meet him. Bought it without even looking at it, when he helped me to put it in my car, it wouldn't fit. I have bought a few and somehow squeeze it in, this one no chance. We left it by the house and I got my trailer.

Got it home, started taking the chassis out. It was at the bottom, a 12" speaker in the rear, might have a full range firing forward, the front panel is angled to face splayed outward. Got the chassis unbolted, wires going up to where the speaker is. Oh, did I mention it is -23 C (-10 F for all you disadvantaged on the wrong side of the border) and my fingers were starting to feel it unscrewing stuff. Got the back panel off and... ...a chassis with the power supply and power amp on it.

The bottom chassis was disconnected from the amp chassis and tucked in the top section. And behind the amp chassis facing forward, two more 12's. Well it is truly bizarre. Thought it might have been a home built but the tube layout label beside the amp chassis shows two sections. A VHE-809 RCA, schematic wonderfully available. I see from the service manual how the receiver was suppose to sit, looked like it was jury rigged on the side.

http://pacifictv.ca/schematics/rcavhe809data.pdf

The amp circuit a Cathodyne with a 12AU7 rather than a 12AX7, just one tube short of a Fender 5E3 Deluxe. Or a BF Princeton. I have never picked up an amp that is so ready to convert into a guitar amp. I am going to have to think about what I will do with it.

[​IMG]

And for good measure, the numbers on the speakers which I can find nothing about. 961380-2W 279437 RL111D-1. Check the service manual, stupid. The speakers are, Silly me, in the service manual, Olson Curvilinear Speaker.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Well, as long as you're going to be the one to feed it and take care of it!

JohnnyCrash and King Fan like this.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

So, um, what was it?

4. printer2

JohnnyCrash and Jupiter like this.
  5. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

I must be living in a parallel universe. -20c.
    The last thing I need is another tube radio for parts. Talking on the phone this morning. So I start cruising Kijiji on the computer for old radios/ stereos. I see this odd thing just posted and it is sort of strange and I consider buying it despite the present inventory Looks like it might be a tube stereo the front control panel is sort of tucked in the cab sideways, very strange. I am trying to squint in the cab but it is hard to see much of the amp, but it has more than one speaker grill.
    So the big question here is do you live in Winnipeg or are their 2 of these beast up for sale at the same time. The controls are the same which in themselves are unique looking. If the answer is no I will go pick it up tomorrow. If yes then great and I will be saved from buying another.
    Either way most singular.
    cheers. Ron.

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

thats the amp in my picture

pari_2.jpeg

Paul-T likes this.
  7. printer2

Yes, same frigid air. I have almost deleted my links to Kijiji but I still like seeing some old radio which then has me wondering about the design and looking up information on it. Better things to do with my time, have spent it worse ways I guess. I almost didn't bother with this one but something nagged at me to go out and look. The 'head' unit used to sit across the front of the left door and it had a turntable in there behind it. The guy said that his dad put a reel to real in there, shifted the head unit to the right and sideways.

The third speaker on the back was an add-on, same style of speaker but different basket. They are 8 ohms so the pair for four ohms at the output. I don't think the speakers could take what I want to do with the amp, 1" voice coils, well they might. But who needs a big 2x12 amp that does not get very loud. Mind you, it will be light enough, not much for magnets. The obvious thing to do would be to keep the power amp as is but update parts. Keep it in the bottom of the cab and make a preamp chassis. Could even use the 12AU7 and 6AV6 for a reverb. Or for Tremolo and another reverb. I am guessing that the amp is running about 250V, backup diodes on the 5Y3 and a switch to get it out of the circuit would get the voltage up some. I'll see what is what when I spark her up.

8. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beautiful. Nice score. The OT and PT looks to be a good size, hopefully they both measure up okay. A bit odd how the speakers taps are both taken from intermediate windings....but if it works, why not. Having the three taps means you should be able to hang just about any speaker onto it.

9. printer2

I never really noticed that. I saw there were taking the NFB from the top of the winding but ignored it otherwise. Really, how interesting is that side of the OT? Not a fly-by-night manufacturer with questionable engineering. The leads go straight to the input jack and the 12AU7 cathode. "We don't need no stinkin' dc bias." I don't have time yet to power it up, yes I can give it a quick shot of juice but then the desire to poke around sets in and a hour has gone by. I will bide my time.

The OT is pretty hefty, they were thinking bass naturally. The PT might be the limitation, but we will see. Aside from the speakers mind you.

10. printer2

I am going to see if the extra taps on the OT will let me use an eight ohm speaker. If so I am thinking of the following circuit.

[​IMG]

I need to replace a number of components, add some others, might just be easier to start from scratch. We will see. The reverb is from a Blues Jr, never built it so it is a new experience. I am guessing the voltage will be low so might go SS rectifier.

11. printer2

So it has 550 VAC primary, not a surprise. On the cap can, 290V, 236, 212. It is reasonably quiet, tuned in some radio stations. To fit it in the cab I want to use I need to cut off the mounting legs and put brackets on the ends. I was building an amp for it but now that this showed up I need to do something with it. Not much use for me, I have a ton of 12V6GT's, 6V6's not so much. So rather than the EL84 amp circuit I'll make this one fit. I'll work on the preamp section for now, if I am happy with that I will see what I think about the power amp section.

No fitting ten pounds into a seven pound sack. So this one is going on the shelf, back to the EL84 circuit.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    JohnnyCrash likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.