No Pickup Volume - Repair Expert Needed - South Central PA, North MD

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by TJet54, Oct 13, 2019.

1. TJet54

TJet54 NEW MEMBER!

Looking for a good, knowledgeable Tele person within about 50-75 miles of York, PA.

Or, perhaps you can offer a suggestion to my problem. I have a 2015 American Deluxe Telecaster Ash that I bought used in 2016 on an impulse. N3 noiseless pickups, S1 switching etc. It's in mint cosmetic condition. I never played it, until now. My title says 'no volume' (couldn't edit), but there is only low volume from the neck pickup. Decreasing the string to pickup clearance was no help. That's all I've done so far. Any other ideas? I had this guitar sold, but couldn't go through with it because of this issue.

Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  2. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

Does it sound like the tone has been completely rolled back in addition to the weak output? I had the same issue in a strat pickup. My tech said it was a bad winding. I tested the pickup later on at it was fine. The problem was a bad pot.

I would get a multi meter from home depot and test the pickup and pots. Fastest and cheapest way to find the problem.

3. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I suspect that the S1 switch pot is the culprit of the weak signal. Those things are not made well and always felt cheap/unsturdy/flimsy to me. If you don’t need phase switching, replace with a normal CTS 250k audio pot and see if that fixes it.

rangercaster likes this.
  4. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

Many times, a weak signal from a pickup is due to an open (disconnected) ground for that pickup.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.