1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No Phone Jack in Apartment

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-rain, Feb 22, 2013.

1. tele-rain

tele-rain Friend of Leo's

My sister noticed that there's no visible phone jacks in my apartment. I know the building is old, but didn't think it'd be that old, or it would have at least been something that was added over the years! And I thought having no fridge was odd!

I don't really care, except I just ordered my cable and am doing the whole "triple play" deal. I'm guessing they will tell me I can't do the phone portion, or have to pay to have a phone line installed (which I wont, I'll just downgrade it to the double play). But, is this a common thing?

2. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

That happened to me at my house and they installed the jack for me as part of the regular installation charge. Things may have changes since then, 4 years ago.

3. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

If it's TW's triple play, your phone plugs into a phone box that is plugged in to your router. You get your phone signal from the same coax that provides the cable and internet.

You can have TW run wires and install wall jacks in other rooms if you *really* want them to. I just plugged in my cordless phone base to the phone box they provide. I bought a phone that had a couple of extra handsets, which all work wirelessly from the same base. They come with their own little charging stand that you can plug into any outlet.

4. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I believe it's pretty standard that by law there needs to be one jack provided to each apartment/house at no charge to you (landlord cost) as part of it being a lifeline service, additional jacks are typically an extra expense to the renter.

5. tele-rain

It's Cablevision, but perhaps they have something similar.

I'm going to look closer when I get there tomorrow morning...maybe it's hidden behind the stove or in a closet for some odd reason.

6. KokoTele

I'm sure Cablevision is the same as TW.

I'd better look into the live landline jack. I am a landlord, and I haven't had a tenant in 5+ years that used a landline. I'm pretty certain all the jacks are dead.

7. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

It seems telephone jacks are becoming dinosaurs. Half the young folks I know haven't got a land line and don't want one. It's all cell/smart phone now.

I've spent most of my working life on the telephone. I don't want to carry a phone with me and be available all the time. I'm not that important.

8. tele-rain

That's pretty much what I figured too...but with all these cable providers doing the whole triple package thing, they have to have the phones plugged in somehow! So I guess it's done as KokoTele described.

9. Teletubbi

Teletubbi Tele-Holic

Wall jacks, dont know why you would need them.
    My 1995 built house has phone and cable jacks in literally every room. Somewhat of a waste now as Ive learned to live without land line or tv. They would still be a waste even if I still had phones and TV as wireless tech means one base station for all

Every time I get PO'd at the ripoff cell/cable companies, I have to remind myself of life under Ma Bell.

Before the breakup off the monopoly, it was a federal offense to install your own extension phone, it was stealing service as that ext was a $20 mo extra. Besides if you had a phone not supplied by Ma Bell that meant it had to have been stolen from somewhere. All phones were company owned, As much as $2 a min long distance calls. Remember the lighted Princess phones at bedside? Those were about a $20mo extra deal.
    That was back when a good wage was $5 hr but we thought we needed it all. LOL

10. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Chud is correct on this. even if you do not pay for service, a functional jack has to be there. you can dial 911 from a "disconected" phone line.

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been kinda wondering why my phone never rings?

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Has the place been renovated at all?

When we bought our townhouse, we noticed that the main floor had no phone jacks. Then we discovered that they been covered by drywall.

13. tele-rain

It's been renovated a good amount, there's a drop ceiling, which is odd for a 2nd floor. So my guess is the ceiling is F'd up, or perhaps it's a means of muffling noises between floors. There's a door to my living room, I guess at some point two people shared the apartment and wanted separate bedrooms. You can tell the door was put in after the fact because the frame around the door covers half of the light switch plate.

But the walls look original, because they have outlined lips on each of them in the living room. I'm not sure what you'd call it. Check the picture below. And coincidentally, could that be the old phone jack right under the window sill next to the radiator? The plate on the wall I believe is for cable, but there's a small box above it...

And on a side note...my sister seems to be in some sort of denial now. I thought they'd be wanting to kick me out the door (I've been here since August!). But all week I've been saying that as soon as i got my blinds hung up, I can start saying there. I had to wait to buy the bedroom, the fridge, and then have those hung up. Now that's all done, I want to move my clothes and necessities in! She keeps avoiding the question. Our plan is for her to have my two nephews help move my boxes over. My sis has a big truck so it's fine, it will all fit. It's just a matter of having them lug them up the 2 flights of stairs. I said I'd pay for a mover, but she insists they can do it just fine, as they are 15 and 17, and could use the chance to not be lazy. All well and good, but I WANT TO LIVE IN MY OWN APARTMENT THAT I AM NOW PAYING FOR!!!! So when I told her tonight again, that I plan to move my clothes this weekend, she's like "well don't move that till you're ready to go". what part of this does she not get? I've been ready!!!!!

Soon...sooon...soon.

Attached Files:

14. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Can you take the cover off? Perhaps the wiring is loose or disconnected inside.

Our place is so old that one of the original phone jacks was in the floor. We discovered that the floor jack had been pushed down into the joist space and the floor was patched over it before being carpeted.
    Very odd.

15. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

These cable install guys are pretty good at putting an end to the whole "no visible" thing for you. You'll have plenty of visible jacks and wires after they get done.

16. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

I do cable installs (hence my user name) and if there is no jack we just plug the phone into the voice modem. I've been in lots of places that were diy renovated where the cable and phone outlets were removed and drywalled over. Some people just don't think. We can always make it work though.

17. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Don't you need a "phone" jack to plug the router into?

The way we do is we have fibreoptic to street outside the house and then "land line" through the wall to router/modem/phone/telly what have-you. Splitters involved.
    Pretty much only one cable run involved whoever the provider is for whatever service whether telecom or ISP. The business over which companies that lay the cables, operate them, rent them and so on is a bit of a shenanigans.

A lot of folks only have a mobile/cell phone these days, but unless you operate your computer/pad/widget by 4G (stupid expensive), or piggyback off a public wifi (for which you need an account with an ISP, usually comes free with land line phone/broadband service) - then you need a land line of some sort.

^^^ haven't seen a "voice modem" for donkey's years, how quaint.
    But whatever, they do need a land line connection, a telcon outlet somewhere.

18. KokoTele

Nope. Cable companies run coax from the pole into the house and plug in a cable modem. These almost always have a single RJ-45 jack, so you plug your router/switch into it to have more jacks. The voice modem is plugged in there, and then you plug your phone into the RJ11 jack on the voice modem.

You can also run a lead from the voice modem and tap into the existing wall jacks, if they're there.

19. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

That looks like a phone jack under the window sill.

20. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Don't worry about it the Cable people want your money. They will make it happen. As someone mentioned before, Cablevision is all through one box.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.