1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No more Zzounds for me

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rob L, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I don't understand this line of thinking. Why the hell not?

I wouldn't have a Roland TD30 drum kit, nor a Gretsch 6122-II (avatar) in my collection without finance and many other things in my life. If you budget for it and buy sensibly it is a great tool to buy further up the food chain (individual budget, relatively speaking).

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It's pretty easy. Just ask them not to call you again and they won't.

3. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

The no interest plans are really a no risk deal. I just did 48 mo no interest on a Gibson LP 50’s Standard Goldtop. What a sweet guitar it is...best I’ve ever owned.

They loaned me the money for 4 years interest free. $50 a month. Yes I already had the MF card, which makes it even easier. I usually don’t buy new but these new Gibson Standards are the specs I’ve wanted, and I’ve always wanted a Goldtop.

That’s one eating out meal for me and my family that we will skip each month. Don’t worry, we eat out a couple times a week if not more. It was an easy decision.

Worst case scenario...I have the asset and can sell for serious cash if it becomes a dire need, all while making that $50 interest free payment.

DFB1 and electrichead like this.
  4. bgmacaw

It really depends on an individual's financial discipline and philosophy.

Some people can make the no-interest plans work well for them while other's will miss a payment and get hit with an interest penalty. People who know they have had a history of not paying bills on time should stay way from these deals just like an alcoholic should stay away from "just one beer".

Some people, such as myself, prefer not to incur debt for luxury purchases. So, I don't use credit cards to buy vacations or guitars but use cash.

Denton and PlainAllman like this.
  5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I also connive ways to instantly gratify my desire to possess things I neither need or can afford.

6. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

I like zzounds, I’ve always had good customer service with them. They sent me the wrong color guitar once, I called and let them know, the correct guitar was in my hands the very next day.

This thread is the first I’ve seen with negative comments about Sweetwater and I have to say they’re pretty unfounded. They called you for years after making a purchase? Did you ever let them know you prefer to just be emailed or not contacted at all? My Sweetwater sales rep called once and I let him know that I’m on the phone all day for work and calls aren’t ideal, never a peep beyond an occasional email checking in after that. As for the person who mentioned they call you after being 1 day late on payments, would you expect any different?

RyCo1983 and JodanOrNoDan like this.
  7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm pretty firmly in the camp of no financing of non-essentials, which includes a house and a car and absolutely nothing else.

If you don't have the money, and you don't need it to survive, save up and pay cash. If you can't do that, learn to do it or learn to live without the thing. If you don't have $200 spare cash to buy an Affinity tele, what are you doing buying ANYTHING? You're gonna be SOL if you get a flat tire, much less lose your job. Get at least a month of income socked away and live on rice and beans in the meantime until you do. You'll be a much, much happier person if you're not living on the absolute ragged financial edge all your life, even if you just have one telecaster....

nathanteal and JodanOrNoDan like this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This implies that bowwing money increased your purchasing power, which of course it doesn't! You would have all the same stuff if you'd saved for it first, and in the meantime you'd have had money available in case of emergency, and you would have had fewer monthly obligations in case of a job loss. And that's assuming you paid nothing in interest for any of that stuff. When you tack on interest....

JodanOrNoDan and nathanteal like this.
  9. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Sometimes budgets pan out as planned. Sometimes crap happens. I got caught in the latter, and wasn't able to keep up with a number of things that had been easily covered otherwise. And this stuff we're still hurting for years later.

We relied on financing for a long time, because it worked with our budget and "why not?!" Now it takes a lot more deliberation and patience if we're going to be financing anything. Guitars probably won't be a part of that for a long time.

10. JodanOrNoDan

JodanOrNoDan Tele-Meister

I agree to all this on the personal level, but if you are trying to run a business sometimes you have to borrow money to make money.

On the Sweetwater thing they called me minutes after I made a purchase. I explained to them that them calling me on the phone was taking up time from me making more money to spend there. They didn't call again.

11. dlc1953

dlc1953 Tele-Meister

Bought a Pod Go from ZZsound last week.Everything went well! Had it here in 3day's.Took 2 for Sweet water to even answer my E-mail! And have bought many things from them before.First purchase at Z was impressed!

12. bgmacaw

A business loan wouldn't be a luxury expense.

Of course, I've seen business people throw good (borrowed) money after bad into a failing business.

13. paulbaribeau

paulbaribeau Tele-Meister

I had a bad experience with zzounds about 12 years ago and honestly kind of forgot they even exist.
    I bought a “new” keyboard and they sent me a very broken keyboard. At the time I was buying things when I needed them immediately for projects so it was a giant inconvenience. After a few emails back and forth I sent the thing back and never looked at their website again.
    I should say I have had problems with basically every company. Ha. So I know that I am the “common denominator” in these situations. I also feel like ordering fully functional instruments from companies shouldn’t be difficult.
    Anyways that is my zzounds story that nobody asked for.

I’m currently taking a break from zzounds, guitar center (which is also called musicians friend), and sweetwater. Saves me a lot of money! I basically watch the reverb page for a couple local stores waiting for a nice used G&L to show up.

14. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Wow. Sorry I hurt your feelings.

15. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

My point is that even if you had the cash (and I do) to pay outright, the free interest for 48 months keeps cash on hand for emergencies at no penalty. Why shell out the cash when someone will give you the cash for the item with no interest?

I agree that overextending your budget is not a smart time to buy guitars. But if you have the funds in the bank and the credit, 48 no interest is not a risk as long as you could pay it off immediately if needed.

Interest is a killer. Those who have mortgages or high interest CC know this very well.

Mad Kiwi, electrichead and Mr Gunny like this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Even if you have the money to buy it outright and that free 0% financing sounds tempting do keep in mind applying for too many of these types of financing deals can hurt your credit score. That could make it harder to borrow money later for something more important, or cost you more.

If it means a worse car loan or mortgage cause you abused this kind of thing that could cost you many times what a guitar costs down the road.

Denton likes this.
  17. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

I told them repeatedly to stop calling. Starting in 2013 until I changed my number, they called me for around two years. After I stopped answering, they left voice mails. They have also continued to email me, the last one in 2019 (6 years after my purchase) says "It's been while since our last chat..." BTW, I have never financed anything with them, so this is purely sales related, not due to a late payment.

Maybe they have gotten better about not calling when you tell them to stop, but I'm simply not interested in buying from a music store that keeps sales people on staff to harass me about my next purchase.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Perhaps you need anger management. When you post a problem on a forum with mostly males, you can expect to get advice on how to solve that problem. We’re men (most of us) and that’s what we do. You may not LIKE the solutions but you’re gonna get them. Chances are you’re gonna get attempts at humor too. I was serious but I didn’t know you were in a walker. Thank you for putting me on ignore.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  19. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

Agreed, you can finance a guitar responsibly.
    That sounds like borderline harassment and I would be annoyed too. I’m sure the experience varies greatly from sales rep to sales rep. I work in sales and in my office the level of aggressiveness ranges from completely passive to psychotic, showing up to clients houses to try to close sales etc. Sounds like you got a bad one lol.

drmordo likes this.
  20. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Holic

I have two Gretsch guitars financed with 0 interest through American Musical Supply.
    The third one has been paid off already. The only financing I have done for musical equipment.
    Might be worth checking them out. Best of luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.