No more tasteful echo (opinion warning)

kLyon

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
You know, what comes out of the amp all by itself ain't bad. Too bad not many people agree.

It's true. One thing I noticed from Get Back: they're on that rooftop plugging straight into Twins and sound great; sound iconic. Sound like the sound of my youth. Sound like... victory)
Me, straight into a Twin with no echo? I'm miserable.
Wes Montgomery? Echo? I don't think so.
What can I say? I'm a midget lost in the footsteps of giants.
(But I really love echo...))

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I just do not get along with delay. I love and envy how others can use it so well, but alas after trying so many times, I gave up. I have yet to sell my final delay pedal, because it sounds sooo delicious, but I just don’t know what to do with it.:(:confused:o_O:oops::rolleyes:

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It's true. One thing I noticed from Get Back: they're on that rooftop plugging straight into Twins and sound great; sound iconic. Sound like the sound of my youth. Sound like... victory)
Me, straight into a Twin with no echo? I'm miserable.
Wes Montgomery? Echo? I don't think so.
What can I say? I'm a midget lost in the footsteps of giants.
(But I really love echo...))

the actual issue is not the effect,its how it is used and as an audio engineer the usage is very different to the recording process than to a guitarist , reverb is used in the studio to give a specific illusion of distance and reflextion , but a guitarist will use it to push the effect and over saturate the signal , but you have to remember that a guitarist usually stands over his rig and doesnot get the full dynamic of his playing , the speaker is a parabola and projects the sound out to a focal point usually about 10 -25 feet infront of the amp , that is why the audience hears differently what a guitarist is playing than the guitrist does . so the effects that a player hears s usually over amplified from the projection of the amp sound

a tight stereo 10ms delay will give a dynamic stereo effect of 2 guitars playing a at the same time

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
Echo and reverb are the "secret sauce" for an enjoyable electric guitar tone. I'll take a properly wet sound over a completely dry amp any and every time.

True for me also. Very subtle delay - almost inaudible - plus a fair amount of tasty reverb adds up to something not quite like either, something to me much better than either alone. So it's always on, part of my sound.

Back to the "it's like spice in food" argument ... I like significant amounts of hot peppers on certain foods. Maybe that distracts from the dish for some. For me, that makes it something special.

A chacun son gout.