No more Rose pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Southpaw Tele, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

People don’t understand how important political correctness is for public affairs. I keep some Navy values very close. Don’t talk politics and religion outside of designated areas haha. Very quick way to shoot yourself in the foot. Take the Dixie chicks back in 2003. They were top of the charts. Said one thing in bad taste out of reaction. And shot themselves. Never to recover from it.

sometimes it’s best to bite your tongue and force a smile, admit you did your best and proud of what you did. But it’s time to hang the hat.

2. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

I don't always want cheap Chinese pickups that I can get in two days, except when I do...

Midgetje94 likes this.
  3. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

That's exactly what he did in the beginning- his "Mariposa" Strat pickups were contracted from the PRC and he sold 'em cheaper than GFS when GFS was the cheapest thing going. I never got a set, but there was a lot of positive response on the forums. Then he started selling handwound pickups, and I don't think he ever really shook the rep as the $35 Strat set guy, even after he stopped selling them. GFS ran into the same problem when they started selling "upmarket" versions of their pickups.

Yep, there's a LOT of smoke & mirrors in the world of pickups.

I have a set of handwound Rose Strat pickups- they're good. Nicely made, worth what I paid, but not amazing. I also have a set of offshore alnico Strat pickups that I think were made for AXL, they cost me $10 from a reseller. They aren't made as well as the Rose set, but they certainly don't sound worse.

nickmsmith likes this.
  4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

The notion that there are now hand-wound, artisanal, bespoke copies of gold foil pickups--which were mass produced, made in Asia products--and that are an "inferior product" from a microeconomics perspective compared to the originals, themselves an inferior product, is a mobius loop of meta-ness that I can barely get my head around.

pi, stepvan, bgmacaw and 3 others like this.
  5. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

I'm put off by the tone of a lot of these posts. Is it good business practice to post a burning-bridges statement when you close your business out of frustration? Of course not. But that is the new reality all such business are facing in an absolutely brutal small business market where the slightest whim of the global marketplace players can suck the bottom out of your business.

Sure, a few people will have the foresight, skill, capital, flexibility, and wherewithal to survive or even thrive. And luck. But it takes 100x what it used to take to open a small business today. Very, very few people will survive the market forces. And blaming them for failures of "personal responsibility" when they don't survive the Hunger Games is wrong, in my book. People ignore the inhumane system that creates these conditions. If you, poster, have managed to make the system work, good for you. The rest of you kindly take a seat. Go yell at an athlete on sports radio or something.

NICQ and Wyzsard like this.
  6. Midgetje94

can’t speak for others. But I’m a chef and part owner of the restaurant I work for. Start up restaurant. I’m good friends with the other owners (a couple) brought me on as a 3rd owner to run and maintain the kitchen. While they hold majority share in the company. I’m in the mix. They run front of house and I run the back. So I get the woes of business.

I agree with all that’s been stated. running a business (be it side or full time) you have to be committed. And have to be able to deal with the public and all the B.S. that comes with it. But as I said above. When your time comes. It comes. Bow out respectfully and celebrate your hard work and run. Don’t slander your customers and other companies on your way out.

nickmsmith likes this.
  7. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

I know zero about any of this but knowing businesses and reading his text I sense there is more to the story.

8. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Good companies come and go for many reasons.

His product always seemed to get good reviews here. Sorry to lose him.

If he has another source of revenue to support himself, good for him.

With the way things have gone over the last year, year and a half.

I'll bet he's glad he didn't have a restaurant or a fitness gym.:eek::D

Midgetje94 likes this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I am usually of the "You get what you pay for mindset" but the Bootstrap pickups that I ordered were really good. I was never a customer for all those Chinese parts. I would rather build one good guitar using top of the line parts versus 6 using Chinese stuff. I can't totally condemn Chinese components though, because I have been lucky on occasions and found some that have worked out well, but I never promote them. It depends on the project and how much you want to invest in it.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  10. Midgetje94

absolutely. I had narrowed it down to 2 options. A set of bare Knuckle brown sugars, or a Dimarzio chopper T/ Twang king. So not the cheapest sets. But absolutely amazing. Plan to wire 4 way switch. So when I saw the BS Extra Crispy. Figured that’s close enough to try for $50. If I like them sweet! If not. For $50 they’d be a backup set or saved for a lesser build.

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Something else that should be said is that providing a product or service is a TOTALLY different thing than running a business. As in, almost completely unrelated. Lots of folks start businesses because they're good at something, only to find out that they're terrible at running a business. I've had friends that did this exact thing. Not trying to weigh in on Rose specifically, just saying there's a LOT more to running a business than just doing the thing your business does.

pi, archetype, bgmacaw and 2 others like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I can't attest to the Bare Knuckles' as I have never used any but have heard good things about them. However, that Dimarzio set is about as good as it gets in my opinion and for what they deliver, they are a fantastic value. I also like the Dimarzio True Velvets as well.

13. Midgetje94

haha yea. If, and from what I’ve heard about bootstrap that’s a big IF. But if I don’t like them I’ll probably go with the dimarzio set

14. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted

How long does it take to wind, pot, box, and pack for shipping a set of pickups? I've gotten totally custom, aged down to the screws pickups from the UK in like 2 weeks.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I was always told from an early age that if you want to be successful in business, stay away from any political promotion and affiliation. That even goes for displaying political bumper stickers. Those of the opposite persuasion might hold that against you. Somewhere in the last 30 years, that rule got completely thrown out the window. We all have an opinion about those things, but I try to find something in common with whoever I encounter, not politics or any religious beliefs.

As far as the Rose Pickup guy goes, he probably bit off more than he could chew, got stressed out about it then lashed out at his customers as the reason. In my opinion, it is better to cut off new orders, take care of all the obligations and take stock at some of the business mistakes he could have made and start new if that's what he wanted to do. If the Amazon affiliation was not working out, he should separate himself from that and try it on it's own. If he is "burnt out" there is few remedies for that, but business decisions don't always work out the way we would like them to. It's always a learning experience.

16. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Afflicted

I'm not really buying any of this. Who on this forum hasn't waited for a set of custom pickups? I waited 2 months for my Mojotone quiet coils. Totally worth it. Could've bought a set of horribly reviewed Fender noiseless ones of Amazon and had em the next day.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  17. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Evidently there was quite a crusade against him on a forum. That’s what spurred it. I can’t remember what forum, there was a big thread on Strat Talk about this.

Midgetje94 likes this.
  18. Midgetje94

but they are a big company that has employees. Apparently this was one guy working around a full time job.

19. Midgetje94

I’d be curious to read though that

20. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I think you will like them. So far I have purchased Palo Duro Tele set, the 54 Pro Strat set, A PAF humbucker, and have a separate Palo Duro bridge pickup and a Golden Ale strat set on order. After that we will have to wait and see as I am laying off any future builds for a while. So far I have been happy with all of them.

Midgetje94 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.