No more Mexican 'Standard'...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AndrewG, May 14, 2018.

1. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Welcome to lefty-land! That's all we get.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like they're just changing the nonclemature. And you ain't gonna see any drastic changes, let alone improvements.

"Standard" is probably perceived negatively. Because they think we're idiots and their focus groups confirmed this.

Seems like a matter of market research (bad market research) overruling common sense.

hellopike likes this.
  3. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

My 09 MIM standard is the best $299 (MF “Fender Friday” deal in 09)I’ve spent on gear. ‘Course I replaced the wiring w/four-way and the pickups for alnico IIIs, but the bones are amazing. Hand-filling, yet comfy neck, perfect action, just a sweet-playing guitar. Of course, I’d probably like it less if I payed the current $539 for it!

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

They should keep the ceramic pickups. Those things scream!

rdwhitti and SteveGangi like this.
  5. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I agree. Many people dislike them but I think they sound good.

rdwhitti and SteveGangi like this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Some people don't like them. I think the reasons are: 1) they're stock, and 2) they're ceramic.

Teleterr likes this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

tdpri_logo_wear_shirt.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

(sorry, I just had to...)

However, I agree about the MIM standard - I'm curious to see what the changes are, but wonder if I'll like them.

horax, ifallalot, Southpole and 4 others like this.
  8. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

That’s awesome! Where do I buy one of these?

SteveGangi likes this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The shirt is on wordpress or some web site - I forget which. I pulled the image and added the "We hate change!" to the image.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Too funny, Unixfish! ...and I love the T-shirt.

Yeah, I hope Fender keeps parts available for us Standard Tele owners.

I'm curious to see the "newcomer", but I'm not really a fan of tremolo bridges.

...and I'm still lovin' my Linux Mint OS!

11. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

The best reason for the change is Suhr, which is running a Fender/Gibson Replica sale, with their own pickups. The body shapes are pure Fender or Gibson, and of course the headstocks are different. The word on the street is that the Fenders smoke the Suhr's in tone.

Dude, you are preaching to the choir! I've had a Baja 50's model since 2007, and its versatility is all due to the 4-way and S1 switching. While I use the S1 for phase switching, I would think the change to a 4-way switch and RWRP pickups would make all mimicking companies sweat. I would not miss the S1, but the 4-way is a home run. It would make marketing a cinch. Of course what is "Standard" in Spanish?

12. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I already have a MIM Standard Tele and a MIM Standard Strat. For the first time ever, I'm ahead of the curve on something ;)

schmee and AndrewG like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It is interesting that years ago there were continually MIM strats on CL at bargain prices. Now I rarely even see one.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

They were so inexpensive then, they sold like hot cakes as STARTER guitars.

New players bought them...they gave up learning shortly after starting (same old story)...and sold them. Many put them on CL, but those who held onto them for a longer period of time, years sitting in the closet, thought they just owned a piece of crap. And tossed them.

I swear:

I work with a guy who never learned to play, and he told me he had this crappy Fender Tele he wanted to get rid of. This was about 2 years ago, and I assumed it was an early Affinity Tele.

I said let me change your strings and do a set-up, and lo and behold, turns out it was a MIM Standard. I forget the year though.

But eech...purple.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  15. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Whats the point Nubs, it's right handed!

16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There was "musician resistance" to MIM for a long time. Many said "no way, got to be an american strat". Eventually too many MIM strats became a player's #1 and many realized they were very good generally with some mods. That's the case with my #1. 1998 Bought for $175, a closet classic in 2003 at GC. It was just a lowball offer I made on it and they accepted. Although I have/had a Am Strat the MIM became my #1 .... for 14 years now. I have purchased a few Am Strats off CL in the period since then. Great bargains. $500-550 in case. One Super Strat from original owner with all the hang tags etc for $500. None of the Am Strats were as good as the MIM one I happened upon though. I had a habit of buying MIM Strats anytime they were $250 or less for a while.
    One thing the MIM has over the Am Strat is the narrower bridge spacing. Many Am Strats suffer from high E string rolloff and the MIM dont.!

17. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

You need a Cray supercomputer to track the changes in model names, specs, places of manufacture, prices, and supposed levels of quality in "Fender" guitars. "Let's mix things up a bit every 6 months" (particularly in the mid-priced models, which are a serious snooze and increasingly questionable value-for-money) seems to be the entire R&D methodology for Fender. What a snooze.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.