No More Fram Oil Filters for Me!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I buy a variety of cheap ones, sooner or later one will be decent and filter out all the crap from the previous ones.

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have been known to do that myself. The grass still grows with no signs of damage/ mutation.

Milspec likes this.
  3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Oh my..........

4. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

When I was growing up, my dad dumped oil and also gasoline from cleaning parts in an area just off one corner of the vegetable garden, where he also had a mulch-pile of lawn clippings that he used on the garden as fertilizer. Grew some awesome veggies. I wouldn't dare do that myself, but it was a different time.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can see the point the video is trying to make and although it is biased by the reviewers unscientific personal opinion and there were no actual tests.

There was no concern for micron ratings, flow capability, efficiency or bypass pressures or any scientific tests of any of the filters actual performance in use, only what they look like. The reviewers opinion is based solely on what looks better to him without any tests to verify that this is true. Sometimes what looks to the eye like a "better design" is actually irrelevant in actual functionality of a part or product while in use as intended.

The anti drain back valve rubber flaps have no function if the oil filter is mounted vertically from the bottom with the seal flange up like mine is, these are only relevant if the filter is mounted sideways or upside down. The reviewer fails to note that in many applications these serve no purpose. If a part serves it's function and there is no functional difference between cardboard end plates and metal end plates then there is no advantage. Perforated and stamped metal parts all have to be cleaned of burrs and shavings and the filter element may bond better to cardboard end plates, who knows for sure.

Does a longer piece of filter element have better or worse flow and micron ratings? Does having more paper element stuffed in the same size can restrict the flow, bypass easier? There was no testing or mention of and actual properties and none of the functionality was ever tested.

The reviewer gives the most props to the Napa Gold premium priced filter. Napa does not make their own filters, they are made by Wix. The premium priced Napa Gold is often reviewed to be the same exact filter inside as the standard Napa filter and the wix with a different label and more sales hype and sold for more money.

For what it's worth... I went to auto and diesel mechanic trade school right after high school and worked as a heavy equipment mechanic from 77 yo 84 and have been a parts guy the rest of my working life and worked the parts counter and every other position up to parts purchasing manager for a large industrial dealer until I retired a couple years ago. I have bought and sold as well as used a lot of filters in a lot of applications. I know parts.

I use the Fram Tough Guard filters and Mobil 1 0-20 oil and my car will turn over 200k miles tomorrow.

There is a lot of snake oil sold in the automotive industry without scientific data to back it up.
    What someone thinks looks good is not always functionally better.

Scribbler and Humble Pie like this.
  6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Slightly OT, my '18 Ram with 3.6 Pentastar V6 engine has the oil filter on top of the engine. Super easy to change, and you can even change it between oil changes!

It's the black dome on the right with the hex on top. Just unscrew with a ratchet and 24mm socket, pull the cartridge out, put a new one in with a new O-ring on the housing, done. Great idea by Ram! I hear the Hemi V8 engine with the typical can filter on bottom is a PIA to change, so much so that folks buy remote filter mounts for them.

Ram Filter Housing.jpg

Shuster and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. tap4154

Many auto parts stores will take your old oil. I take mine to an Auto Zone up the street. No charge. Pep Boys will take it as well.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Umm, yeah, I know. I don't like taking it to the auto parts store. It is a pretty long drive and it is a pain... it ain't the money, it is the hassle... happy to pay some dude to do it for me (and who I trust to actually do it.)

9. tap4154

If you have a guy you trust... Never using Jiffy Lube again, and the dealer takes 90 minutes, so I'm doing full synthetic changes myself. 1/2 hour max.

Shuster likes this.
  10. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo!

Fram has been crap for decades

Wix has been the standard for about 20 years. It was Hastings that held the crown before that

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  11. Humble Pie

Humble Pie TDPRI Member

I am with you bud . been using fram and conventional valvoline oil for 40 years and not 1 PROBLEM!!

do it myself maintenance ,and my newest vehicle is a 2004 impala with 90,500miles a 2002 silverado 100,000 mles and a 1999 saturn sl1 with 386,000miles all with no oil related problems!

had a 1973 super beetle with NO OIL FILTER ,all it had was a fine screen mesh in the sump for a filter and i had over a 100,000 on it when the heater runs rusted out ! there aint nothin wrong with Fram filters!!

12. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think all of you are missing the point of a Great Oil Change:twisted:

84726844.jpg

13. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

We currently have two Honda Civics. We've previously had a Honda Insight and a Honda Accord LX. I've got a closet full of Honda oil filters and several gallons of Mobil 1 in the garage. With regular oil and filter changes using decent quality products, these cars regularly go 200,000 and 300,000 miles.

electrichead likes this.
  14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

My 2001 Honda Civic EX, driven primarily as a daily commuter 110 miles per day on I-95 and SR528 round trip to work, in Central Florida environment, went 424K+ miles with no internal engine issues. Had to replace the starter, and performed recommended oil/filter, spark plug changes, shocks, suspension bushings, brakes, but it even had the original clutch at the time I sold it in 2016.......and bought a new Honda Accord EX. Used basic Purolator oil filters and recommended 5W-20 Penzoil the entire time.

getbent likes this.
  15. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

I worked on the Dodge/Plymouth assembly line in Belvedere, Illinois in 1968 -- (Local 1268 UAW, Yay!) Anyway the Union discovered the Fram oil filters wet coming from Mexico - caused a near riot. Look what we have now, Cadillacs made in China, Buicks imported from China.

16. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

528 out to I-95: I've made that run a few times - mostly back when 528 was still the Bee Line.

I'm no mechanic, but I've changed lots of oil and oil filters in plenty of my cars. Keeping up with basic maintenance is the key to getting long engine life out of a good car. Do that with Honda's 2.0 (Civic) and 2.4 (pre-2018 Accords and current CR-Vs) litre engines and you should be good to go for the long haul.

17. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

My route was I-95 North from Malabar Rd to 528, and then East on 528 to the Cape..

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Modern vehicle makers don't make their own filters, don't blend their own coolants. Don't manufacture their own batteries. They put together a list of specifications and various suppliers respond with bids.

In my experience keeping Saab cars rolling, I have plenty of chances to use Original Equipment parts and sometimes they're the gold standard and sometimes there's better. There's a ridiculous amount of range between two sources of precisely the same thing. When nothing comes "from" the manufacturer because the car manufacturer is defunct, we peel away all the superiority which may or may not be there.

++

++

I like these Napa Platinum filters, when on special sale. I also use an oversized oil filter - a cheap way to increase the capacity of your engine oil system.

A quality filter does do real work. Not usual for me to change the oil filter (but not the oil itself) halfway through the change interval.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Shuster likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you, but....

Don't you ever roll under the car, while changing the oil and filter and go, "Oh, heck, the CPS has not been changed on this vehicle in 80,000 miles - I better do that while I'm under here"?

I like to do a mental checklist while I'm under there and no distracted by other things. I might end up doing a quick drain and refill on the automatic transmission fluid. I might spot a loose fastener on the undercarriage shielding.

I suppose I may be biased as to Oil Change places, and here's my story. As a general practitioner attorney, clients and would be clients would make an appointment to talk to me about their misadventures at the Oil Change places. Sure, in some cases the would be client was an opportunist or a grifter trying to shake down an innocent Oil Change place, but the sheer numbers of complaints about things being monkeyed with under there by the mentally and behaviorally challenged folks that sometimes get hired to such places (especially in The South) really stunned me.

California has its way of making proper disposal of used oil hard, don't they? A while back I took a couple crankcases of used oil over to the state facility off CA 46 near Paso, and couldn't get over how hostile those employees were.

Shuster likes this.
  20. Redheadlvr

Redheadlvr TDPRI Member

Amsoil oil and Amsoil filters. As an alternative-Wix filters.
    Mobil 1 is not the best synthetic. Just number 1 due to advertising.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.