No More Fram Oil Filters for Me!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Sep 14, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I do major stuff on my vehicles.. I put a starter in the truck a couple weeks ago... oil changes... uhhhhh I hate getting rid of the oil.. I go to a place (took two vehicles at once on thursday) and it is done in 30 minutes... all synthetic.. no sweat...

I am unconvinced of anything in the video... except... people who change their oil on schedule with or without fram will do better than MOST people who don't change their oil or maintain their vehicles.

Humble Pie and Milspec like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

So it's not environmentally friendly to dig a hole in the backyard and return the used oil to the earth?

Looks like the only way to know what your buying is to buy two filters at a time and cut one open to see before installing the second. They could change the construction and materials used on them at any time.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Shuster likes this.
  3. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Why ,oh why ,do people in the US not just go to the dealership , and get the OEM oil filter , dammit ?????!!??
    And , please , please just change at the recommended intervals , any more is just a waste of oil.......
    And , every engine made in the last 20 years ( EVEN in the US ) will benefit from modern , synthetic oil , so don't buy anything else......

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

J&J does my truck . Just had oil and trans fluid done.

They use a filter.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If your dealership has a quick oil change bay and the oil change prices are competitive - sure.

But In Americanese , the word “dealership” directly translates to “lots o’ money for everything/anything” .

Shuster, Scribbler and geoff_in_nc like this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I stopped using FRAM filters aboout 20 years ago, and switched to Purolator. Interesting that Honda uses the same filter for all of the Honda cars I own, and have owned. I buy them by the dozen on-line to get best price.

Shuster likes this.
  7. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

K&N and Mobil 1 filters are the exact same on the inside, and both are made by Champion Labs for the respective companies. Not related to Champion spark plugs. As far as I know those are the two best filtering oil filters on the market today. There are several places on the net we're oil filter tests were made.... Those two, which are really the same filter, always came out on top.

Shuster likes this.
  8. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Honestly Guy's, I posted this as a heads up for DIY'ers, not to start an argument;) You can fill your crankcase with vanilla pudding and use a coffee filter if that's your thing, though I'd love to see the video of that:lol::lol::lol:

RetroTeleRod and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Does vanilla pudding cone in 10w40 for high milage engines?

10. getbent

I'm so glad we have wise people to direct us to the 'correct' choices. What would we do without the really awesome cars that Denmark has produced over the years?

Doorlord, Mike Simpson and TeleTucson like this.
  11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I never change my oil or my filter. I buy second-hand cars and I just keep driving 'til the car dies. My last car was retired when it wouldn't pass the inspection because the brake lines were corroded. The motor was running just fine after 350,000 km.

getbent likes this.
  12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

it's a funny thing: over here (I'm in Holland) no man currently alive seems to know how to do even the simplest of maintenance or repair. I NEVER see a guy working on his car. Nobody ever changes a tire. They all go to a garage, or more likely the dealer. But then again, most of the cars on the road are leased by an employer and given to the driver as an employment incentive.

Milspec likes this.
  13. getbent

a gilded cage is still a cage! ha! I get that we are stupid, we should have stayed home, but, you know, we gotta make a mess and see what is goin on over the next hill ESPECIALLY if they tell us not to...

14. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Fram is fine as far as I am concerned. No reason really to spend $20 on a fancy filter if you just change fluids at a reasonable interval. Most filters arnt too glamourous when cut open.

I run Castrol GTX Hi Mileage in my ol' Wrangler not for any performance or caddy reason... it was advice from a Wrangler forum of Jeep old timers that realized it tends to not be as drippy in old motors as the typical dino oils. I use it now and it sure doesn't lose the quart a month it use to (altho mine wasn't dripping or burning.. dunno where it was going) .

The Fram is a cheap yet totally useable filter in my opinion. 1999 wrangler inline 6 and 270k on the clock.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Humble Pie likes this.
  15. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Maybe dealerships in your country are better. I will never take my vehicle to the dealership in my community. Why would I want to be grossly overcharged for shoddy maintenance that I can do better myself for less money?

RetroTeleRod and TeleTucson like this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw that video a while back, or a similar one by that guy. He's trying to say the heavier wall thickness of the housing makes it a higher quality product. Spends a lot of time on the cardboard ends inside. As if burst strength of the cartridge is the primary metric of value. It's not. The filter paper is the most important part of that product. Any practical testing of filter efficiency? No, just assumed better because one filter paper was longer than another -- surface area increase does give lower resistance to oil travel but does the paper keep out more particles?

Same kind of kitchen testing of Guitar A vs B gets done on forums and youtube all the time. "These two guitars are exactly the same except for the fingerboard! Can you hear the difference?" well, actually, did you measure the pots and caps and pickups for any normal production part variation in the equivalency claim?

And for the Vanilla Pudding guy posting previously...

bromdenlong likes this.
  17. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

You wanna heavy housing on that filter, jus'in case you need Philips head a stuburn one in order to get'er off. Them flyweight casin's just rip when ya do that.

Rowdyman and Doorlord like this.
  18. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

By the way, don't ask me how I know.... 2004 Jeep Wrankler....

19. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Funny you should say that. Back in the '70's that was pretty much how it was done around here. My Father's first auto shop had 4 trees that lined the alley behind it. The used oil was dumped at one tree, the brake fluid and ATF at the second, antifreeze at the 3rd, and scrap metal piled up at the 4th tree. It went that way for 7 years and we used well water!! That was in '73 - '81 and the last time I went back (6 months ago), the shop had collapsed, but all 4 trees are about 150 feet tall and healthy. I guess oak trees are tough SOB's.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Filters also capture metal particles that can destroy an engine. Here's an article written after Car & Driver's long term car blew its engine.

https://www.torquenews.com/106/car-d...me-more-common

"The oil filter in this particular 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray was faulty in a way that allowed small particles of metal to break free and enter the engine lubrication system."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.