1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No More Basses

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by robert spencer, Aug 2, 2013.

1. robert spencer

robert spencer Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the three basses I have & don`t want or need more. Well except for maybe a scroll bass and well a teardrop would be nice. I might need a Beatle bass and oh yah gotta have a round back etc etc. GAS seems to be an incurable condition. Its like having lots of wives and no complaints from them about it. Do you ever have a touch of GAS?
    I heard that Allen Woody bassist for Government Mule & Allman Bros had 454 basses. Do you suppose he had it covered? No I don`t either. There is always room for one more. Take care. Bob

2. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

You need a P-Bass. And a J-Bass. And a Stingray. And a 5-string. And a . . .

Yep, GAS is incurable. And we're all enablers here. :D

3. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

That first bass is amazing - what is it?

4. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I love that first one.

5. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

A bassists arsenal isn't complete without a proper P bass with flats IMO, but what you have going on with that telebass is definitely sweet! I've been GASing for a hollow body style like that first pic for a long time, just haven't found one that I actually made a connection with:/

6. Ricardo Moraes

Ricardo Moraes Tele-Meister

+ 1

7. russpurdy

russpurdy Tele-Holic

Herbie Flowers has used the same blue jazz bass his entire career and has never owned another one. Man, I wish I had that kind of self control.

8. robert spencer

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh but that hollow body looks nice Bob and this is coming from a dyed in the wool player of solid body P and J Basses. If I had one I might seldom play it but it sure would look nice sitting next to the others.

10. robert spencer

I play each of my basses every day, alternation in practice about equally. I have three different reasons why each of them is special to me and enjoyable to play. Take care. Bob

11. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

RIP Allen. I knew him & "jammed" with him way back. Mid-70's. We would make up and write down some chord changes onto a big chalkboard, and go for it. Allen was also a good guitar player.

12. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

13. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

No More for Me, Either

Yeah, I'm done.

I can record, but I can't gig, so my actives are pointless and I'd love to be able to dump about fifteen of them.

I was going to buy a new Rickenbacker, but there was so much absolute insanity involved with such a seemingly simple task that I've blown that off in disgust. So, I have no intention of buying any more basses.

[When one gets serious about recording, it's amazing how difficult is is to find and set up a really good passive recording bass without a bunch of screwy dead spots and other tonal irregularities. Recording direct really concentrates the attention. There are so many really awful flaws we totally overlook, starting with string problems, that nobody seems to ever give a minute's thought to until track monitoring brings it out like a head butt to the bridge of the nose.]

14. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Me, I'm completely, absolutely done. Except if I can find the right Gretsch hollowbody. Or if somebody gives me a Ric 4005. Or a Hofner...

15. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I haven't bought or built a bass in three or four years. I haven't bought a guitar in a year (and that one was fifty bucks and serves as a spare/alternative to my Beloved Telecaster).

I bought and sold a fair number of instruments before that, but over time I managed to zero in on instruments and amps that really suit me, and that, my friends, is when G.A.S. tends to go away.

Tim

16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I scored a cheap Magnum Bass on local fleabay a few weeks back.... I figured sooner or later someone would need a Bass.... or I could give it to the school rock band....

I bumped into the mum of a local guitar kid who I've helped in the past...

my lad needs a Bass to help with home recording.. can you look for one ?...

send him around... I just happen to have a Bass here he might like....

he's probably playing it right now.... cool...:)

17. 4mal

4mal Friend of Leo's

As a side guy... What works for me is 5 string fretted and fretless, both old Guild Pilots... 4 string piezo fretted and fretless, 90's Godin Acoustibasses. 4 string mag fretted (Lakland 44-01) and fretless (PBass). Kala U Bass solid body -mostly for synth effects using a Zoom B3, plus the occaisional novelty thing.... Boulder Creek fretless ABG. I get that you van get by with fewer basses but... There is no duplication in my stable and I am not a collector. If it doesn't get played. It goes... The one under played 'extravagance' is my Barker Vertical. Love it but I can't often fit it in. The thing is a pita to move... Plays like a dream though...

18. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

saw your hollow body electric (one with Hofner tailpiece) in a store this past weekend. Brand new. Should have taken a picture but iPhone wasn't with me. Looked good in the room it was in....all guitars in the place were top end Gibsons and similar.

here's the link. odd they showed it off in the guitar room, not the bass room. The one pictured is rather blonde looking but the one I saw was identical to yours...tobacco tinted.

http://cosmomusic.ca/guitar-bass-hofner-contemporary-verythin-sunburst-w-case.html

Yours has a smaller pickup in the bridge position. Otherwise identical to my eye.

19. robert spencer

[​IMG]

Gunny the luthier that made my bass told me it was moddles after the Gibson EB 2D, Don`t know why he used the Hofner tailpiece. But I like it better especially with the hand carved bridge, The gibson bridge is both complicated & expensive may be why. I remember you having a Beatle bass. How do you like it? Take care. Bob

20. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I can understand that all too well Bob. I tend to do that with my Teles each being just a bit different than the others. Not only do I enjoy it that way but it also helps with any adaptations I have to make in my playing or amp settings when I have a rehearsal or a gig.

My basses aren't all that different from one another, or at least not any more so than any PBass differs from a Jazz Bass. But when I have a bass gig coming up I do tend to alternate between them as well for the exact same reasons I do with my Teles. They feel of the necks is different and EQ'ing them properly makes for changes in my amp settings.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.