1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

No Market for Strat Plus Guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by zimbo, Nov 20, 2016.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I'm trying to sell a 92 Strat Plus in VGC. Not even an offer. I've noticed quite a few other Strat Plus guitars out there f/s and the prices are down in the 800's.

Is there no market for these guitars? In my opinion they were probably some of the best Strats made with the lace sensor pickups. Anyone else of the same opinion?

Bluzman145 likes this.
  2. 8upSS

8upSS Tele-Holic

I agree! I love my '87 (bought new).

I have not tested the market though.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Played a depping gig last night and the other guitarist used one. Sounded sweet. The lace pickups are really nice and seem more well rounded and rich.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for one.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've played a couple and considered them to be like a car with added options. The thing I see around here is that used guitars in general are down in price all the way around...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

Here's the fundamental problem: You can get a lightly used 2011-2016 American Standard Strat for $800 or less all day. People keep trying, but it's hard to make the case that a Strat Plus with 20-30 years of mileage on it is worth more. Yes, the Strat Plus has the Lace Sensors and the roller nut, but the newer guitar has a more vintage-correct (and usually lighter) body, a better bridge, pickups that just about everyone agrees are terrific, and probably less wear and tear on the frets and finish and so forth.

There's a mindset among Fender fans of a certain age that older = better from a quality perspective. That was very definitely true in when I started playing in 1983. Fender's quality was very good when your guitar was made, certainly in comparison to when my first Strat (a '78) was made. But it's even better now, and people who try the guitars can sense it.

There will always be a few people in the market at any given time who want a Strat Plus and nothing else. They'll pay up for the best ones. But there are a lot of Strat Pluses (Strats Plus?) out there, most of them aren't "the best ones," and for the average buyer, the newer guitar is the better choice.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Stingfan73, Hexabuzz and tominwa like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Musician's friend, Guitar Center, and Sweetwater to name a few have been pumping guitars into the system for years like Oklahoma pumping oil during its heyday. It is quite possible without opening up a new market perhaps in Siberia, or some such locality we have reached such a point of guitar saturation that soon you will have to pay to be rid of a guitar.

CL ad: Closet queen all original '52 Telecaster, will consider paying up to 500 dollars to send this Tele to a good home, possibly an additional 100 bucks if you can actually play, and promise not to leave it out in the yard when your automatic sprinklers come on. Please feel free to take the guitar apart in any manner you wish to verify its authenticity. Will consider all offers though I really can't afford to give anyone more than $700 to take this beauty off my hands. Remember I'm offering cash!

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I think they're great guitars, but they seem to go around my neck of the woods for the same prices used American Standards get. There's a market, but you're probably asking too much. Supply and demand my friend.

jjudas likes this.
  8. gtech

gtech Friend of Leo's

I have a friend who had one. I wanted one because of Clapton.
    When I tried it I was very disapointed. I built myself a SRV style Strat instead and it sounded a lot better. My friend sold his Plus when he switched from Rock/Metal to Blues. He sounds a lot better now ;-)
    And I'm not a fan of Clapton sound either these days.
    So... I suppose that it could be a reason for the market thing. Guitar players want a guitar like their idols...

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Let's face it, these were the axes of the 80s. Just walk into any pawn shop today and it seems like there are more Strat Plus/Strat Plus lookalikes getting dusty on the walls than anything else.

Maybe when Metal becomes retro cool, they will sell again.:rolleyes:

10. Bluzman145

Bluzman145 TDPRI Member

I absolutely love my Strat Plus. So much so, that when I assembled the Surf Green Tele in my photo to the left, I found a Fender Tele neck with the same nut width, radius and shape. I can now move between these two favorites effortlessly. I think that $800 is under priced. I think they should sell for $1000.

11. ronkmd

ronkmd TDPRI Member

I had an early Strat Plus Deluxe (midnight wine, 3 color Laces: kind of an odd combo) bought used in the early 1990's ($560). Nice but not nearly as nice as my $200 MIM, which I upgraded with Bill Lawrence p/u's, Callaham trem block. Traded it a couple of years ago for a Gibson 60s Tribute Les Paul since I didn't have an LP.

12. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

This is the worst time to try to sell a used guitar with the holidays coming.

Stingfan73 likes this.
  13. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Personally, I dig the Strat Plus, and one of these days would like to get one.

That being said, it comes down to supply and demand, and it's a bit of a specialized animal. It's got a small, loyal following, but for whatever reason (Lace Sensors, locking trem), it's not super popular outside of its fan-base.

Combine that with the age, and I think the sellers are doing a lot of wishful thinking with their pricing (it's already a buyer's market), especially when you consider what else $800-1000 can get you these days.

Just because something is of a certain age doesn't make it more valuable, and except for certain less common colors, they're not hard to come by, meaning that a buyer has their pick, and can and will hold out for "the one"...

william tele and Cat MacKinnon like this.
  14. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Might be a long shot, but you could get in touch with the the Xhefri guy that runs the Strat Plus website. Not sure if he's buying, but it wouldn't hurt to see. Alternate option might be to consider parting it out, although that's kind of a hassle if you're not already using eBay to sell stuff. Last thought is to maybe see what the trade-in value would be, but that assumes there's something else you're already interested in.

15. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Truth. Not only are a lot of people selling gear (competition against your guitar) to pay for upcoming travel and seasonal gifts and such, but also some of the same people who are likely interested in your guitar or who might pull the trigger at your price or higher, may themselves be trying to save up for holiday expenditures, and really can't at this time buy any guitar at any price no matter how good of a deal or underpriced it may be.

16. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Is this the 'vintage Strat' from the other thread?

17. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy TDPRI Member

I have a couple of Strat Pluses. They're a little heavier than a typical strat I think. Mine are very modded in terms of electronics, Kinmans, superswitches, the tbx is used differently and in my mind much more usefully . I sometimes wonder if the little extra weight helps if you want some slightly "fatter than a typical strat" tones. Getting locking tuners and strap locks as part of package is nice. Personally I much prefer the Kinmans to the Lace sensors that came in my "bought from new" '89. My other came with Kinmans from eBay for a little over £500. Imho they're probably an underappreciated guitar and like any ordinary Strat easy to mod in terms of pickups/switching.

18. sccloser

sccloser Tele-Meister

I had a really nice one for a while that I got in a multi-guitar deal. It was nice but not really my cup of tea. It was very difficult to sell off, which is probably why the guy I got it from worked up our deal and kept trying to add it into the equation...lol! Anyway, I ended up trading it for an amp and some cash, which when I sold the amp netted me about $700...that was about 2 years ago now I think.

Here's a pic...mine was a 1994 model.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  19. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I bought one new in the early 1990s. Gold sensors, roller nut, bathtub rout, body made from glued up scrap wood and two tone blue.
    I still fell guilty for screwing a store over when I traded that pos off for a piccolo.
    In my humble opinion, they're fire wood.
    Honestly they make better Strats in China now for 200 bucks.

Maybe I had a bad one ? Lol

20. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

You don't want the thing, anymore. Why should someone else want it more than you do?

It's just a nearly 25 year old guitar now -one that had a kind of niche appeal when it was new, and I imagine that niche has shrunk somewhat over the last quarter-century.

And you're trying to sell it in a era where the supply of new guitars probably exceeds the demand for them. For the average "bedroom player," they can get all of the Stratocaster they'll likely ever want or need in a Chinese-made Squier that costs less than $200.00 bucks brand spankin' new.

There's a lot of cool stuff out there on the used guitar market... And a lot of that can be had in very good condition for less than the cost of a new Squier Affinity Series Strat. Stuff like the Brawley A-122 "Super Strat" that was my last guitar purchase. That guitar came with locking tuners, double roller string trees, a graphite nut, rosewood board with real abalone dot position markers on a maple neck loaded with a dual-action truss rod, with that neck bolted to a body made from a single piece of swamp ash and capped with flame maple, having a carved top, comfort-carve heel, strap locks, and rear loaded with Alnico V pickups in an H-S-S configuration, and having a Wilkinson dual-fulcrum tremolo bridge... And I got all of that, in pretty much brand-new condition, for under $150.00, including the cost of the two-day shipping that delivered it to my door.

That's the sort of thing you're up against. You're up against a veritable flood of good to excellent instruments on the used market that are available for a fraction of what an instrument of equivalent quality in terms of materials, construction, attention to details, and component specification would cost to get in a new instrument.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.